Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 AM

403 posts, read 867,583 times

Advertisements

Nope. They constantly change their intent and agenda, they have no idea what they are protesting. Each week is a new "flavor". What they have been successful at is preventing or delaying other 99% 'rs from getting to work, destroy parks and property, theft, rape, disease and sucking up tax dollars as if they were meant to be wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
No. They aren't protesting what needs to be protested. Many of them just wanted to go away to an expensive college for the status of doing so and to get 6-figure cushy jobs and now don't want to have to repay their loans.

And many are just all sorts of malcontents without a common theme.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
The only impact they have had is wasting $13M taxpayer dollars.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
The only impact the "Occupy" protests have had is negative.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
They've given people something to gripe about, and yell at each other about. I don't think that many of them have any real ideas on how to fix things besides tossing certain people into jail and somehow creating money out of thin air to pay for social services. Many of them seem to not be able to give a clear answer to anything besides "I don't know" or harass people talking to them...
The irony... what you've posted is applicable to government more than it applies to occupiers.

As for the rest of the posts, it's pretty clear to myself and most occupiers I know personally that sitting on your rump pontificating or complaining isn't accomplishing anything but facilitating criminals for a decade or better now. This looks like impact to me: Proposing a Constitutional Amendment to End Corporate Personhood Transcript - On The Media
Quote:
The Occupy movement loudly decries the power of corporate money in politics, a power amplified by the Supreme Court's interpretation of the 14th Amendment, conferring the free speech rights of people on corporations. Thus, in last year's Citizens United ruling, the Court, on free speech grounds, granted corporations nearly unlimited freedom to spend on election advertising.

This week Massachusetts Congressman Jim McGovern decided to try something drastic and most likely futile to stop the deluge. He called for a constitutional amendment declaring that corporations are not people.
Can 'Occupy Wall Street' really get money out of politics? - CSMonitor.com
Quote:
The “Occupy Wall Street†movement has been catching flak for its perceived lack of clear goals, but the protests have already put new energy behind one big idea: reforming the role of money in politics.

Advocates of campaign finance reform say the protesters in New York and elsewhere have, in recent weeks, brought the question of corporate influence closer to the front burner of national discourse, adding fresh momentum to their own efforts.

"Get Money out of Politics" Speech fromOccupy Philly - YouTube
If you don't get it yet, it's because you don't want to get it.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
As for the rest of the posts, it's pretty clear to myself and most occupiers I know personally....
Are you openly admitting that you're part of the OWS movement?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

As for the rest of the posts, it's pretty clear to myself and most occupiers I know personally that sitting on your rump pontificating or complaining isn't accomplishing anything but facilitating criminals for a decade or better now. This looks like impact to me: Proposing a Constitutional Amendment to End Corporate Personhood Transcript - On The Media

Can 'Occupy Wall Street' really get money out of politics? - CSMonitor.com

Thanks for that post. Good to see someone in DC is listening.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
They are a drain on the general fund in each city they protest in.
Tax payer money is being spent on them and we get nothing in return.
It has hurt the average tax payer and the city's they live in.
It has cost the 1%"0" and the rest of us pay for it.

FAIL.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:15 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
No, and I'm tired of hearing these moron's yell "mic check" like a bunch of mindless zombies.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Curious to see what others think.

No. No impact whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies