Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm not saying that I agree with their move to stay out of the political process, and I'm no stranger to that process myself, but I will say this--if it moves existing groups to jump on these issues with broad based public support, they'll have the ear of most elected leaders.
It hasn't. They blew their chance. Now the focus is on the cities that have had enough of the squatters, the rapes, assaults, shootings, murders, drug overdoses, urinating/defecating and the beyond stupid echo chamber speeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
I think it showed the far left that the type of government they seek simply does not work.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
An excellent point.

But, what about Dodd-Frank? I thought the dems "fixed" all that?

Again, we are talking about what OWS has DEVOLVED into.

The so-called "message" (if they ever had one) is aimed at the WRONG entities.

If they truly understood how we got in this situation, they'd be at the Fed, at Congress, at the WH, at F&F. We have seen video after video, of how much these idiots don't know. They are just repeating and regurgitating obama's divisive rhetoric.

Pretty difficult for "normal" people to get behind a "message" when the messenger hasn't a CLUE what they're talking about.
I'm not disagreeing with some of what you're saying, but this is the part that I think you're missing--right or wrong, they don't seem to want to turn this into a party thing, because then it gets lost in us vs. them. Their one consistent message is that the financial industry and major corporations have too much power in our government, and that both parties are just as bad as the other. Regardless of what the protestors do or don't do, or their personal behavior, that message hits a nerve with people, because they know it's true. I think a chunk of the young people involved with OWS realize that they don't have all the answers, but they're working like a thorn in the side of people on both sides of the aisle who CAN come up with answers on how to fix this. Their goal seems to be to shape the debate among the groups that DO work on a legislative level to make change. I don't approve of or like some of the things that they're doing at their encampments, but I think they've been very successful in shifting the public debate, and at the end of the day, that's their goal.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
They are in disarray. They need a national leader, ie, Ron Paul.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
unfortunately not as much as they could. They need a clear idea of what they are after. Then people could support or not. Now the public has no idea what they are about.

They want Wall Street reform... start with political reform. Occupy Washington and make the Congress pass laws to control campaign spending or eliminate their insider trading and all the other unethical activities they are involved with.

Clean them up , then go after the businesses that have paid for their votes.
You're talking about it, right? Did you talk about this before OWS? Probably not. That's a success.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Curious to see what others think.
Nope, they are a punchline.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
You're talking about it, right? Did you talk about this before OWS? Probably not. That's a success.
Really? were you talking about Penn state 2 weeks ago.........

Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Really? were you talking about Penn state 2 weeks ago.........
No, but if something good can come from the Penn State tragedy, it will be stronger mandated reporting requirements for child abuse, and it's a hot topic on the news shows. Same thing with OWS--they raise as stink, even if it's not pretty, and the general public responds with a demand. You just made my point for me.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
No, but if something good can come from the Penn State tragedy, it will be stronger mandated reporting requirements for child abuse, and it's a hot topic on the news shows. Same thing with OWS--they raise as stink, even if it's not pretty, and the general public responds with a demand. You just made my point for me.
I don't think I did. Perhaps this is part of the delusion of the OWS crowd. First not all publicity is good publicity. Second no one really knows what to say about OWS since their only unifying theme is public defication and rancid protest sites.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I don't think I did. Perhaps this is part of the delusion of the OWS crowd. First not all publicity is good publicity. Second no one really knows what to say about OWS since their only unifying theme is public defication and rancid protest sites.
We'll have to wait and see, won't we? On that note, I need to go--I've been home recovering from surgery, but I'm trying to ease myself back into actually going into work. I hate getting older...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies