Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
This is a sad day in America.

I do not think they deserved to have their belongings trashed.

Link. globalrevolution - live streaming video powered by Livestream
They trashed the park and surrounds. Zuccotti Lung must be disinfected and allowing those germs to be carried elsewhere or returned after the private park is cleaned is just not smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
They trashed the park and surrounds. Zuccotti Lung must be disinfected and allowing those germs to be carried elsewhere or returned after the private park is cleaned is just not smart.
When I was down there 2 days ago (a friend visiting NYC insisted upon seeing it), it wasn't particularly dirty or filthy. Despite how crowded it was, they seem to keep it well organized and clean. (and again, I think these people are idiots - I have no affection towards them at all).

I was surprised to see so many US flag flying at the camp (one guy was playing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" on repeat). I was surprised with how many anti-Obama posters and anti-Obama flyers I saw. And while I wasn't terribly surprised given it was veterans day weekend, it was interesting to see quite a large number of uniformed active military members milling about and talking with the OWSers.

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-15-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The park was built as part of an agreement between a private firm and the city. The firm got exemptions from zoning code on several of their nearby properties, and in exchange they agreed to build this park and maintain it as a space for public use. It's a very reasonable, not uncommon, very enforceable contract with consideration from both parties.
People don't want to hear anything rational. To them, this is no different than me setting up a tent in your living room, which is of course ridiculous. I'm curious to know what other types of covenants are on that land. I have a feeling that Brookfield's lawyers are worried about something or they would have ousted the occupiers on the first night.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
People don't want to hear anything rational. To them, this is no different than me setting up a tent in your living room, which is of course ridiculous. I'm curious to know what other types of covenants are on that land. I have a feeling that Brookfield's lawyers are worried about something or they would have ousted the occupiers on the first night.
The Brookfield organization was threatened by politicians if it took action. There is no right to camp in any park in NYC.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
the 'occupiers' should all be fined

apparently they never heard of the pooperscooper law

Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
A Supreme Court Judge has ordered the city to allow protesters back into the pack, but there are conflicting reports. Crappy CNN says in their text news story that the judge allowed the protesters to return with tents, but their video says the judge refused to let them bring tents back in. At least one other outlet says the judge allowed the tents. I'd like to the see the order and rationale.
It was not a Supreme Court judge!

It was a city of New York judge.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

and that judge (a aclu judge) had been kicked off the case

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Even assuming the park is completely private, has no contract with the city, has no restrictive land use covenants, and there is no law governing privately-owned property held for public use, the court can still force a completely private entity to do something. It's not "unconstitutional". Courts have power over private persons, groups and corporations.
Ahhh.....but the power is not unlimited. And a typical ground rule is that a land or property owner can do what they want with their property unless it breaks a law.

Unless NYC has a law that says a private park owner cannot disallow camping....the Zuccotti park owners can evict campers.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:

Yup. I'm sure it will go further up until it reaches a judge with some common sense. I wonder if the judge made a donation and attached a check to the order?

Do you know if there was anyone representing the owner of the property or Bloomberg (since he gave the order to evict them) in the court?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Ahhh.....but the power is not unlimited. And a typical ground rule is that a land or property owner can do what they want with their property unless it breaks a law.

Unless NYC has a law that says a private park owner cannot disallow camping....the Zuccotti park owners can evict campers.
To be more accurate, if you watch the videos the protesters are claiming that the park is their "home" and has been for the past 2 months. Would this mean that the could be evicted for non-payment of rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies