Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Suicide is often an action undertaken by rational mature adults after objective analysis of his/her situation and coming to an objective conclusion that their condition is broken, lost, not going to get better and thus make a thoughtful decision to not go on living in misery simply for the sake of breathing.

Its not just disturbed teens experiencing emotional angst over some petty matter, although that’s the way its often portrayed, primarily because our particular religious tradition makes it taboo.
well said thank u. And its not being able to feed or house your family, not stupid red herrings like a manicure...Unemployment is double what they are reporting...over 25%. add that to food, COL and housing crisis equals worst situation since 1930.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
well said thank u. And its not being able to feed or house your family, not stupid red herrings like a manicure...Unemployment is double what they are reporting...over 25%. add that to food, COL and housing crisis equals worst situation since 1930.
I saw an article on depression that stated those who dip down into major depression sometimes do so because of how they feel in comparison to what they see. A person may feel very depressed when they see people around them prosper while they fall behind. An example is someone living in a nice middle class neighborhood that loses his job and has his home foreclosed on while his neighbors seem for fairing well.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Quality of life issue, eh? Really. Hmmm. So maybe what some have said on here really ISN'T "barbaric" after all.

The fact remains, people are still spending money on all kinds of things they don't "need". Maybe sales are a little lower than predictions but not by a whole hell of a lot and again, people are buying a whole bunch of crap they do. not. need.

I work four jobs. I see it in three of those four jobs.

As it was with KickAssArmyChick, it was for me, as well. This "non caring, heartless, barbaric" Republican was also homeless at one time. And starving! I've written it a thousand times but I'll write it again. I lost 30 pounds in a month because I was HUNGRY!

Did I sit and pout and ask for a hand out? No.

Did I blame it all on Wall Street Bankers? No.

Did I go pitch a tent in a park and defecate on our flag because it just wasn't fair? No.

Did I blame the POTUS at the time? No.

I was one of those who was doing everything right. I graduated H.S., I joined the military, I served my country, I got an honorable discharge, I was in college, I did not have cable or a car or caller ID or call waiting or three way calling or the latest video game console or go out partying every night or drinking like a fish or doing drugs....I was doing everything right.

And I still ended up homeless and starving.

You want to talk about feeling hopeless? Do you even know what that feels like? Have you ever been homeless and starving? Have you?

It sucks! It sucks total and complete ass!

So what do you do about it? **** and whine? Or do you work EVEN HARDER to GET YOURSELF OUT OF THAT SITUATION!?

Should I have offed myself because I had to take the bus and couldn't even afford milk for mac&cheese, (a luxury at the time!), and never got to go out to the theater or get my hair cut professionally or because the clothes I was wearing really needed to be tossed and I really, seriously, badly needed some new clothes but could not afford them?

OR!!!! Instead of sitting in a corner sniveling about my circumstances did I get up, find solutions, find alternatives to many of my needs, find ways to fix what was wrong and make something out of myself, continued on with school despite the fact I could have used, "I'm homeless, starving and have no money" to get some sympathy from the school, worked, worked, worked and saved and worked some more and moved clear across the country, worked some more, saved some more in order to make my life better?

I do not feel sorry for those who commit suicide. It's a selfish act, it hurts the people they leave behind and THERE ARE solutions. Things might be uncomfortable for awhile, hell, things are just going to downright SUCK for awhile, but you know what? It is NOT worth offing yourself. That is selfish.

So if the person in your example is so hopeless because they are being evicted in 24 hours, they can't take care of their family, they can't provide for them, the best solution is to kill themselves? REALLY?! No, no sympathy for that.

They just left behind a family with no food, no housing, no money and now, no parent or spouse. And I'm supposed to feel sorry for them?

There is help out there, there are solutions, there are alternatives and when shtf, you have to think, as they say, "outside the box" and you're just going to have to pull up your big boy and big girl panties and DEAL that your little "quality of life" isn't going to be exactly the same as it was.

You don't get to have your cell phone plan or your cable subscription or your internet connection or your car. You don't get to eat whatever the hell you want from the grocery store, you have to buy cheap stuff. You don't get to drive all around town doing ONE errand a day instead of learning how to organize and cut down on spending money doing things. You don't get to go to the latest movie and you don't get to buy the latest product such as the boots that you just 'have' to have or the new gadget of the week or the app or the this or that. You cut open your toothpaste tubes, your shampoo bottles and whatever else so you can get every single last drop or squeeze of product out of them because the longer you can hold off spending another 99 cents for a new bottle or new tube of toothpaste, the easier it will be on you. BUT THAT'S THE REALITY AND IT CAN BE DONE!

You have to cut those out. And you will STILL have a better quality of life than many people in this world so no. No. I feel no sympathy for those who cannot get up off their asses and DO! FOR! THEMSELVES! without resorting to a pity party and then a suicide.
For all of you lefties....this is "middle America". This is the mettle that "We the People" are made of!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I saw an article on depression that stated those who dip down into major depression sometimes do so because of how they feel in comparison to what they see. A person may feel very depressed when they see people around them prosper while they fall behind. An example is someone living in a nice middle class neighborhood that loses his job and has his home foreclosed on while his neighbors seem for fairing well.
and....?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
People commit suicide because they have much deeper issues than that they can't get a job. I have little sympathy for anyone who would kill himself because life is tough and leave partners, children, parents, friends, family behind to fend for themselves and to feel guilt and grief for the rest of their lives. Suicide is a supremely selfish act in most cases.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 AM

27 posts, read 21,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Natures way of culling out the wimps...
Not even worthy of scorn.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
So nice to see some people live in a bubble where the air must be very thin. I have to wonder if their life came with a guarantee that it will never fall apart. If you think that this crisis has hit bottom, think again, because things can still get worse and somehow a pin might fly through the air and burst your bubble, and the fall to earth will be very hard and quick. They you will find out if you have the strength to persevere and survive as some have done.

It's not fair to condemn an entire group - those who committed suicide, when there are a multitude of circumstances involved.

The one point I do agree on strongly is the damage that is done to those that are left behind. No one can take their life thinking that those they leave behind would be better off without him/her. It doesn't make the circumstances any better for those who have to continue through the hardship.

It is also a shame that family doesn't reach out or open their homes or hearts to those they are related to who find themselves needing help. It's just another sign of how selfish people have become.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM

656 posts, read 648,641 times

Van Jones "Give Them the Wealth!" - YouTube

Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
yes: excellent film on white collar unemployment on long island:

"Hard times Lost on Long Island:HBO documentary" google it link wont allow...blowbackproductions.com

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-17-2011 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
and....?
For them it is hopeless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies