Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving is almost here and Christmas around the corner so have some of you started shopping yet?

On average the last few years with the three granddaughters my wife goes a little overboard with the budget spending $1200.00 to $1500.00 that includes dinner with all the trimmings and goodies.No more live trees though I liked White Pine trees the best less needle mess smells great.

How much do you plan to spend ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Less than $200. I'm planning to make cross stitch pillow for each of my close friends and family with an inside joke or something that reminds me of them. The gross commercialization of the holidays completely overshadows the point of the season.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
I will be buying some gifts for some people on Black Friday out of obligation because I know they will be buying gifts for me. So silly. It really is just the PC thing to do. It would be so much better to donate the money charity. For close friends and family, we are not exchanging gifts this year. Those of us who can will give money to charities for the holidays. All of us will spend the holidays celebrating the reason for the season.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM

400 posts, read 294,308 times
Already started, though not in earnest. I've just happened to run across a couple of nice gift ideas, so I bought them. Also, I bought tickets for an event that will occur next year the day they went on sale, and I'll be giving these as presents.

How much? Beats me.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
I'll buy some gifts for mom, sis, baby brothers (probably some cheap action figures), dad, stepmom for sure. Probably some neat little things for my close friends. I'll have to do it in a blitz though, I'm gonna use the money I get from selling my textbooks (and hopefully I still have some left over).

Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 AM

24,003 posts, read 15,100,850 times
An e-mail circulated a few weeks ago suggesting that folks give gift certificates to local businesses such as beauty shops, oil change stores, etc.
Keep the dollars in the community rather than sending them to some other country. Great idea. We intend to do that.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Less than 200.00 for four people and that's it.Christmas is a religious holiday,the commericalization has drowned that out .Too many kids and adults these days have the I wants.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Thanksgiving is almost here and Christmas around the corner so have some of you started shopping yet?

On average the last few years with the three granddaughters my wife goes a little overboard with the budget spending $1200.00 to $1500.00 that includes dinner with all the trimmings and goodies.No more live trees though I liked White Pine trees the best less needle mess smells great.

Haven't spent one cent on Christmas in 45 years!!!

Add THAT up if I would've been like you and spent $1500 a year.

Add interest if it only would've been in a savings account.

Gives me plenty of "cheer" in my retirement!!!

Now, a question....when people advertise how much they're ripped off (spend)at Christmas, are they complaining or bragging ?

I usually ask them and they get this dumb look on their face....

Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post

Don't let anyone give you a bad time. If you can afford it, I don't think there's anything wrong with spending whatever you want at Christmas--both my mother and my MIL (I'm lucky--she's a sweetheart) get a huge amount of pleasure from being able to do really nice things for their grandchildren. The kids adore both of them no matter what, but both Grandmas feel good about being able to give them opportunities and things that they might not normally have, and they're in a financial position to do it. If it was all about the gifts it would be different, but giving something out of love is different than gifts that come out of a sense of obligation.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Haven't spent one cent on Christmas in 45 years!!!

Add THAT up if I would've been like you and spent $1500 a year.

Add interest if it only would've been in a savings account.

Gives me plenty of "cheer" in my retirement!!!

Now, a question....when people advertise how much they're ripped off (spend)at Christmas, are they complaining or bragging ?

I usually ask them and they get this dumb look on their face....
I'am not bragging nor complaining but take satifaction in the faces of my granddaughters on Christmas Day.I also like putting little presents in big boxes to throw them off.

Money is just ink and paper I have saved it up being retired now I spend it on my family why not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies