Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There are many around here that complain about Wal-Mart and how they put smaller "mom and pop" stores out of business.

Do you people take the same viewpoint with the health care system?

Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Obama?
(I don't know why "Big Oil" is in the title - oil is not mentioned in the article)

It is not right that through government regulation, many small practices have to close shop. It hurts competition, so the customer loses. Prices will increase, so the customer loses. The government will have a larger role in how doctors treat patients, so the customer loses.

The only winner in this are those with a vested stake in the advancement of government.

I would think if you don't like the fact that Wal-Mart is so large, that you would hate this even more.
Walmart is throwing their hat into the healthcare arena.

Wal-Mart considers expanding healthcare services at its clinics - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Won't be a problem if people started going to small practices and paying cash.
I agree in general. But I believe that one of the provisions in ObamaCare is that you get penalized for NOT having insurance.

So you pay for insurance & full cash medical cost? Now you are back to your top 1% or 5% who can afford this.

I'm kind of foggy on that since I haven't dealt with this in a while. Feel free to clarify.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
I agree in general. But I believe that one of the provisions in ObamaCare is that you get penalized for NOT having insurance.

So you pay for insurance & full cash medical cost? Now you are back to your top 1% or 5% who can afford this.

I'm kind of foggy on that since I haven't dealt with this in a while. Feel free to clarify.
You do ultra high deductible insurance and only go to practices who refuse insurance for routine stuff, just as we used to do back in the day.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
NY Times is referenced in the blog.

You don't even need the blog - you don't already know that small practices have been closing?

Then go and find the NY times article that proves the point.

The blog mentions a small part of a NY times story that has nothing to do with your opening premise

Obamacare isn't shutting down small town doctors. Please provide proof.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Won't be a problem if people started going to small practices and paying cash.
isnt that what GOP members said and we were attacked for being mean because so many couldnt afford to pay?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
isnt that what GOP members said and we were attacked for being mean because so many couldnt afford to pay?
That's different because this time it's Obama's actions causing this consequence to occur.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I know physicians in the process of selling their practices and who will retire just as soon as Obamacare kicks in full swing.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

GOP members want to mandate care, without ability to pay, and not pay for it.

Can't have it both ways.

Emergency medical treatment and active labor act, learn it, know it, despise Reagan after

Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I know physicians in the process of selling their practices and who will retire just as soon as Obamacare kicks in full swing.
And I know a physician who just opened up a clinic here in the town I live in.

Who knew?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
When the federal government spends over a trillion dollars in health care, it better complain about it. People get penalized for not carrying car insurance. Should we expect those who carry insurance and the government, to pay for those who choose not to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies