Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times

Advertisements

Water Boarding is torture no matter how you want to slice it.

Take it from a counter terrorism expert Navy Seal

Waterboarding is Torture... Period (Links Updated # 9) | Small Wars Journal

There is No Debate Except for Torture Apologists

Quote:
1. Waterboarding is a torture technique. Period. There is no way to gloss over it or sugarcoat it. It has no justification outside of its limited role as a training demonstrator. Our service members have to learn that the will to survive requires them accept and understand that they may be subjected to torture, but that America is better than its enemies and it is one's duty to trust in your nation and God, endure the hardships and return home with honor.

2. Waterboarding is not a simulation. Unless you have been strapped down to the board, have endured the agonizing feeling of the water overpowering your gag reflex, and then feel your throat open and allow pint after pint of water to involuntarily fill your lungs, you will not know the meaning of the word.

Waterboarding is a controlled drowning that, in the American model, occurs under the watch of a doctor, a psychologist, an interrogator and a trained strap-in/strap-out team. It does not simulate drowning, as the lungs are actually filling with water. There is no way to simulate that. The victim is drowning. How much the victim is to drown depends on the desired result (in the form of answers to questions shouted into the victim's face) and the obstinacy of the subject. A team doctor watches the quantity of water that is ingested and for the physiological signs which show when the drowning effect goes from painful psychological experience, to horrific suffocating punishment to the final death spiral.

Waterboarding is slow motion suffocation with enough time to contemplate the inevitability of black out and expiration --usually the person goes into hysterics on the board. For the uninitiated, it is horrifying to watch and if it goes wrong, it can lead straight to terminal hypoxia. When done right it is controlled death. Its lack of physical scarring allows the victim to recover and be threaten with its use again and again.

Quote:
The Washington Post reported in 2006 that it was mainly America's enemies that used it as a principal interrogation method. After World War 2, Japanese waterboard team members were tried for war crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 PM

300 posts, read 250,336 times
Most Americans would probably consider it torture if you took their cell phone away for a week, so they probably aren't the best people to seek opinions from in terms of what is and what isn't torture.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Waterboarding isn't torture? Try it - CNN.com

Three GOP presidential candidates say waterboarding is not a form of torture
So which is it: Illicit torture or an acceptable interrogation practice? asks Loran Nordgren
Nordgren: People who don't experience something can't estimate just how painful it is
People who volunteer to experience waterboarding see it as torture, Nordgren says
I have had it performed on me once by a vet who specialized in interrogation. It was not a big deal at all. They have water running over your face and then put a water soaked cloth over your face (which induces dyspnea, but does not create actual drowning). There is no danger to this technique whatsoever and has been blown out of proportion by psychotic liberals.

I would suggest that you experience this at least once and realize that it is really not a big deal. I was actually surprised and was expecting alot more.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Uh.. If rendition is still practiced, and it is, none of this ever happened on Obama's watch. Just like your FOIA request answer told you.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Any Navel Aircrewmen that has been to Warner Springs for SERE school knows.....
Only thing different from today to back in the '80's is that then they wore Soviet Uniforms....
I failed to think of this! My hubby went to SERE way back in '81.
He has the common sense to be totally for waterboarding.
I reiterate...better we waterboard those that salivate with the hate to destroy us, and as many of us as they can, than they succeed in doing so.

Bring it on, and I don't say this lightly. I'll stand before God someday and give account for my beliefs, and stand on even this. Willingly, though I believe I don't have a choice in the matter.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Good point, on a side note, are you trying to deflect from the OP??
Nope, if you notice most of the posts are about things that happened within the last three years. Now, why do you suppose the poster is bringing up a hopelessly stale issue?

Riddle me this, which topic is more relevant? Water boarding or a $15 trillion deficit? Go ahead, you can answer, we know.

Which do you think the OP would wish to discuss, the failing of the current administration or that of the last? Come on we know you want to say it, you can do it!!

Last edited by shorebaby; 11-16-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Waterboarding isn't torture? Try it - CNN.com

Three GOP presidential candidates say waterboarding is not a form of torture
So which is it: Illicit torture or an acceptable interrogation practice? asks Loran Nordgren
Nordgren: People who don't experience something can't estimate just how painful it is
People who volunteer to experience waterboarding see it as torture, Nordgren says
They also say lethal injection isnt torture either, so why dont we have many volunteering to report back how terrible their experience is?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
If there's a "dirty bomb" set to go off in a large population area and the CIA has the guy who knows where it is, I say, "Go for it!". Waterboard the SOB until he gives the information to save thousands of lives....or would folks still say, "No, it's torture, we can't act like barbarians."?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
If there's a "dirty bomb" set to go off in a large population area and the CIA has the guy who knows where it is, I say, "Go for it!". Waterboard the SOB until he gives the information to save thousands of lives....or would folks still say, "No, it's torture, we can't act like barbarians."?
Sorry, no torture. It is NEVER right. The minute you torture one person you lower yourself to that level, if not lower.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sorry, no torture. It is NEVER right. The minute you torture one person you lower yourself to that level, if not lower.
Where did you learn that garbage at? Tell me how you'd feel if someone was in your home, terrorizing your family? You wouldnt defend them because you wouldnt want to lower yourself to the criminals level? Give it a break!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies