Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've met and know a lot of Muslims. On the whole, they're good folks. But there's crap like this that makes me shake my head, and when you learn about some aspects of life in some of the more repressive Muslim societies, it's easy to see why 19 men flew planes into the world trade center. I know people who aren't allowed to watch movies or listen to music. What happens to people when you deny them the most basic and simple pleasures of life?
Some are repressed, so you UNDERSTAND why they murdered almost 3 thousand innocent Americans? Really?
Looks like they need to lash out at the people who are oppressing them, not people that have nothing to do with it. In the end, they make their own choices. We all do. Please don't condone what they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Honor; those who have it don't sweat it.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Jordan: Muslim cuts sister's throat to cleanse family honor

As the article mentions, Muslims are responsible for 91% of honor killings worldwide: Worldwide Trends in Honor Killings :: Middle East Quarterly
A bit fixated on Muslims/Islam aren't you? By any chance are you Islamophobic?

With the problems that are going on right here in the US, why are you concerned with what goes on in Islamic countries?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Is it inconvenient news? And does this woman's life mean nothing at all just because she was killed for Islam?
Every life is important. But this is piece of news is of the same importance as a murder/killing in any American city or for that matter in any place in the world. (I don't see anyone starting a thread for every person in the world that is either murdered/killed.)

Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Makes me wonder what they teach at their schools such as the large one in Santa Clara!

There is no "honor" in their sixth pillar, only violence. In my opinion Americans need to be vigilant or our own peace will crumble further.

How did the mother of that murder raise her children?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 AM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Jordan: Muslim cuts sister's throat to cleanse family honor

As the article mentions, Muslims are responsible for 91% of honor killings worldwide: Worldwide Trends in Honor Killings :: Middle East Quarterly
I really don't think it has to do entirely with being muslim. In Ghana we have a very large muslim population but there are no honor killings. Pre-Islamic arab culture was strongly anti-female. For example they used to bury baby girls alive. Islam sits on top of their warped cultures and allows for this sort of thing. Same is true of India where hindus also engage in honor killings. In Ghana, by contrast Islam is practiced in a way that makes the pre-islamic culture (mysticism) evident.

Don't get me wrong....islam is highly compatible with misogyny (sp) but it's not the root cause of this sick behavior.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Is the 'law' that mandates honor killings based on religious or secular law?
Is sharia a body religious tennants or social/ secular?

Is religion and law of the land the same?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Is the 'law' that mandates honor killings based on religious or secular law?
Is sharia a body religious tennants or social/ secular?

Is religion and law of the land the same?
With Islam there is no secular law, Islam is the law. For Muslims there can be no separation of religion and state. It would go against everything in the Koran to believe that there should be some law outside the religion.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This isn't new or news.
It is new, and it is newsworthy, since Muslims make up about a billion people in the world.

Meanwhile the liberals in this country say we are supposed to fear Christian bible thumpers, who very, very rarely resort to violence, and they never feel obliged to kill people to appease God or Jesus, and their Christian leaders never call on them to kill people in the name of Christ.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
A bit fixated on Muslims/Islam aren't you? By any chance are you Islamophobic?

With the problems that are going on right here in the US, why are you concerned with what goes on in Islamic countries?
Since a phobia is an irrational fear of something, then no, I do not hav an irrational fear of Islam. I DO have a very real concern of what is taught and practiced in Islam since a billion people follow it. I DO think we need ot be aware of Islam's view on non-Muslims and how it teaches Muslims to interact with them. I DO think it is important to stand up for one's own culture and resist the Islamization of the West that is the goal of Islam. Islam wants to drag the world into darkness but the truth is a light that will keep the darkness at bay. I will always keep revealing the truth about Islam and Islamic practices that I see as barbaric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
I really don't think it has to do entirely with being muslim. In Ghana we have a very large muslim population but there are no honor killings. Pre-Islamic arab culture was strongly anti-female. For example they used to bury baby girls alive. Islam sits on top of their warped cultures and allows for this sort of thing. Same is true of India where hindus also engage in honor killings. In Ghana, by contrast Islam is practiced in a way that makes the pre-islamic culture (mysticism) evident.

Don't get me wrong....islam is highly compatible with misogyny (sp) but it's not the root cause of this sick behavior.
You are correct that these attitudes existed in the Arabic world before Islam and, at that time, it was only cultural. However, Mohammad was an Arab and his actions codified it into Islam forever. He is considered the perfect example to be emulated in all aspects so anything he did is gold for all time.
You also can't blame this on culture because you don't see this sort of activity from Christian Arabs. If it was only cultural you would expect it to be evenly distributed among all Arabs and it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies