Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM

400 posts, read 293,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats just stupid, explain it, I really want to hear what these consenquences are.
I won't speak for Jaymax, but I will venture that perhaps his point was this:

Had the California Supreme Court ruled against the standing of the plaintiffs, the case would be settled. The result would be that same-sex marriage would be legal in California but that no futher appeals would be possible. As such, there would be no chance that the case would be upheld by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and thus no chance that the case would be upheld by the United States Supreme Court, thereby invalidating laws against same-sex marriage nationwide. From a national point of view, it is dubious that the potential rewards (temporarily staving off the legalization of same-sex marriage in California) warrants the risks (a USSC ruling like Loving v. Virginia which decides the matter once and for all in all jurisdictions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,342,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
I won't speak for Jaymax, but I will venture that perhaps his point was this:

Had the California Supreme Court ruled against the standing of the plaintiffs, the case would be settled. The result would be that same-sex marriage would be legal in California but that no futher appeals would be possible. As such, there would be no chance that the case would be upheld by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and thus no chance that the case would be upheld by the United States Supreme Court, thereby invalidating laws against same-sex marriage nationwide. From a national point of view, it is dubious that the potential rewards (temporarily staving off the legalization of same-sex marriage in California) warrants the risks (a USSC ruling like Loving v. Virginia which decides the matter once and for all in all jurisdictions).
And why would that matter to me?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
And why would that matter to me?
Beats me.

But the case obviously matters to you for some reason. And it undoubtedly matters to a lot of people on both sides of the issue for the national implications, which is why there is so much interest in the case from out-of-state agents, from those who poured money into the Proposition 8 campaign from out of state to the out of state attorneys offering pro bono services in the trial and appeals.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

28,087 posts, read 29,924,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali1234 View Post
Which basically, in the Mormon religion, means if you don't do as the First President says (donate your funds) than their will not be a place in the devine afterworld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's absolutely false.
Quote:
How's that? Explain. Support.
There's really nothing to explain. The Church asked its members (particularly those in California) to take a stand against same-sex marriage, and requested both their time and money to defeating its legalization. There were no negative consequences or threats of consequences (either in this life or the next) for those who failed to comply. That's just the fact of the matter. (And incidentally, in case you didn't read my other post... I am a Latter-day Saint who disagreed with the Church's stance.)

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

181 posts, read 233,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There's really nothing to explain. The Church asked its members (particularly those in California) to take a stand against same-sex marriage, and requested both their time and money to defeating its legalization. There were no negative consequences or threats of consequences (either in this life or the next) for those who failed to comply. That's just the fact of the matter. (And incidentally, in case you didn't read my other post... I am a Latter-day Saint who disagreed with the Church's stance.)
I never said that the church spoke of negative consequences or threats of consequences for those who failed to comply. I am just going off what I have read/watched. I was under the impression that the President of the Church, who is considered to be the highest office of the church, holds a great deal of power over the congregations afterlife. The mormon religion considers the president of the church to be the prophet.
Quote:
Latter-day Saints consider the president of the church to be God's spokesman to the entire world. He is considered to be the highest priesthood authority on earth, with the exclusive right to receive revelations from God on behalf of the entire church or the entire world.
So, as Gods right hand man.. the one who he speaks through. Wouldn't you say that going against the first president is like defying God himself?

Quote:
The First President: "We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage."

Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I never said that the church spoke of negative consequences or threats of consequences for those who failed to comply.
Well, what you actually said was that for a Latter-day Saint, not doing as the President of the Church asks (donating your funds), would mean not having "a place in the divine afterworld." If that's not a negative consequence, I don't know what would be.

Quote:
I am just going off what I have read/watched. I was under the impression that the President of the Church, who is considered to be the highest office of the church, holds a great deal of power over the congregations afterlife. The mormon religion considers the president of the church to be the prophet.
Yes, we consider him to be a prophet, but that doesn't mean blind obedience is expected of us to everything he may say. No Mormon prophet/President of the Church has ever claimed to be infallible. They are men of God but they also have their own opinions. On matters such as Proposition 8, the Church took a stand, encouraged its members to take the same stand, and then left the decision as to whether to comply up to us. Out of the world's more than 14 million Mormons, only a tiny fraction actually donated to this cause, and none of those who didn't are the slightest bit worried about their eternal salvation or their membership in the Church.

Quote:
So, as Gods right hand man.. the one who he speaks through. Wouldn't you say that going against the first president is like defying God himself?
Nope. The Church's position on a political issue is not doctrinal. It's not a statement from God.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-21-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 PM

I failed to mention, Ali, is that the only one who "holds a great deal of power over the congregations afterlife" is God. He alone will be our judge and Jesus Christ will be our mediator. Now... back to politics.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Beats me.

But the case obviously matters to you for some reason. And it undoubtedly matters to a lot of people on both sides of the issue for the national implications, which is why there is so much interest in the case from out-of-state agents, from those who poured money into the Proposition 8 campaign from out of state to the out of state attorneys offering pro bono services in the trial and appeals.
All I said was "Good " why would that make it matter to me, I'm just glad the people are allowed to stand up for what they believe.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
All I said was "Good " why would that make it matter to me, I'm just glad the people are allowed to stand up for what they believe.
Uh huh...

You like the decision. So do I. It's really not that big of a deal admitting you care about it.

Well... not to some of us, anyway...

I'm sure you'll reply to this thread, yet again, assuring us all that you keep replying because... well, because you really don't care about anything except the fact that 'the people' are allowed to stand up for what they believe (even though had you read and understood the decision you'd realize that 'the people' have no standing at all, only the official proponents of Prop 8, and if they chose to cut bait at this point then 'the people' would have no recourse whatsoever).

But, whatever! You don't care at all! (about this subject upon which you've posted frequently, in this thread and others...)

Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Uh huh...

You like the decision. So do I. It's really not that big of a deal admitting you care about it.

Well... not to some of us, anyway...

I'm sure you'll reply to this thread, yet again, assuring us all that you keep replying because... well, because you really don't care about anything except the fact that 'the people' are allowed to stand up for what they believe (even though had you read and understood the decision you'd realize that 'the people' have no standing at all, only the official proponents of Prop 8, and if they chose to cut bait at this point then 'the people' would have no recourse whatsoever).

But, whatever! You don't care at all! (about this subject upon which you've posted frequently, in this thread and others...)

Quote:
I'm just glad the people are allowed to stand up for what they believe.
That should be pretty easy to understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies