Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Fortunately, my wife and I don't agree with that regarding our future kids. Out-of-state private school and wanting to major in English? We'll subtract the amount we'd pay for an in-state school and you can make up the balance.
Non-parents always think they know everything about parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is a simple solution to this problem. You pay a higher interest rate on student loans for degrees with historically poor payback rates (English Lit, Chem undergrad with no master's or PhD, history undergrad, etc.) Degrees with high payback ratios (engineering, CS, finance) pay lower interest rates on loans.

Major in engineering from MIT? 3% student loan.

Major in film studies from a mediocre school? 13% loan.

Problem solved.
This wouldn't make any sense. Many people who go on to be doctors study English Lit or another one of the humanities.

Also why would those who go to "mediocre" schools be responsible for a higher interest rate? That does not make sense either. Do you think that most electrical engineers go to MIT? What if the person who studied films went to Harvard? I guess they could then get...say 5%. Yeah right

Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, I wondered about that too...until I realized that my mom held consistent with her view on the matter from before having me to after having me.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How does my post contradict anything I said in the OP?
First you said, the nation is screwed because of the many people who study useless majors. Now you think the degree matters less when one gains experience and is mobile? Which one is it?
Maybe useless major students are more mobile and thus offset their initial disadvantage? I just don't understand yor point. Is it the useless majors or the immobility of graduates which are responsible for the downfall of your country?

And also, has the percentage of useless majors changed compared to times when your country was in good shape?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This wouldn't make any sense. Many people who go on to be doctors study English Lit or another one of the humanities.

Also why would those who go to "mediocre" schools be responsible for a higher interest rate? That does not make sense either. Do you think that most electrical engineers go to MIT? What if the person who studied films went to Harvard? I guess they could then get...say 5%. Yeah right
I agree with this. The free market would likely take into account the VALUE of the school. To make an example here, an NC State graduate would do just as well as a Duke graduate in most cases, but the Duke graduate would suffer more debt. Any legit risk analysis would result in the Duke student paying a higher interest rate. Assuming the same major of course. On average perhaps a Duke graduate makes slightly more than an NC State student, but the total deficit would likely take a lifetime to make up.

With PhDs it gets really hairy and specific. NC State while not as well know as say UNC, actually has a far superior comp sci doctorate program in most concentrations (outside of graphics and virtual reality of course) due to their recent acquisition of Centennial Campus and expansion.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Possibly true, but your posts elicit what i'd consider to be the most unapologetic, helicopter parent-type mentality of anyone i've seen on this forum. You've made many references to what you and your hubby do for your kids, and many times its caught my attention to the point that it makes me feel sorry for those kids and what they can expect when they hit the real world.

With that being said, they're your kids. Do what you want. But i'm not sure you're exactly on solid ground when criticizing others, either.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, I wondered about that too...until I realized that my mom held consistent with her view on the matter from before having me to after having me.
I am 100% sure your mother changed her mind about some things while parenting you. I know I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Possibly true, but your posts elicit what i'd consider to be the most unapologetic, helicopter parent-type mentality of anyone i've seen on this forum. You've made many references to what you and your hubby do for your kids, and many times its caught my attention to the point that it makes me feel sorry for those kids and what they can expect when they hit the real world.

With that being said, they're your kids. Do what you want. But i'm not sure you're exactly on solid ground when criticizing others, either.
What the ??? Please elaborate.

My kids are grown, and believe it or not, are quite independent. I really don't know what you are talking about!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 AM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
What do you want to study? What are your interests?
I am out of school, already studied architectural engineering, but still study the guidelines among that career path. Continuing education is very important.

I don't disagree with people pursing degrees in English, journalism, psychology, etc. I thank my school for making us take a lot of electives. Many students complained because it was them trying to force the students to pay more and stay in their school longer. However, learning the basics of Freud and Religion studies made me have a more well rounded education. You can tell when you work in a firm with somebody that just had a 2 year technical degree that just taught them the basics of what they need to know for the job they are being trained for. They can sound completely ignorant in many aspects where you can see how those simple elective classes in social and humanity classes helped pay off. One thing I hate about engineers is they are clueless when it comes to the arts, but a PSU architectural engineering degree helped me study arts as well as technical aspects.

But I know many people who graduated with what would be considered a "useless degree" and perform highly for society. My one friend graduated in Music and Psychology. He of course got a masters, and now teaches. But the wealth of knowledge he has that I don't would be a major plus. Education isn't all for training, and a smart person would realize that. Sometimes studying the behavior of humans is interesting, and we just want to understand it regardless of how it pays.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:05 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Honestly, Can you two stop this silly argument. Geeks vs. nerds, being a racist for calling somebody a geek, etc. It is silly. There are good discussions in here again ruined by this type of stuff.

I came to this thread because I have always been told my parents that they would support me in college if I went for something that would build a career and not just a useless major to rack up debt and party.
Honestly, if college you're a grown-up, you should be responsible for your choices and paying for the resultant debt. It's this bourgeoisie attitude that you need a red carpet rolled out until you get your degree.

College debt should be on the student- it keeps those concentration/major choices honest if the student knows they've got flesh in the game.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Honestly, if college you're a grown-up, you should be responsible for your choices and paying for the resultant debt. It's this bourgeoisie attitude that you need a red carpet rolled out until you get your degree.

College debt should be on the student- it keeps those concentration/major choices honest if the student knows they've got flesh in the game.
Please don't lecture me. I have been out of college. I have an engineering degree. My parents only helped me with paying for housing during school. All other finances were mine.

I am sick of people on this forum who come and lecture others like the people they are speaking to via the internet are some useless clowns with no intelligence at all and need their advice.

I do just fine raising my family with the degree I earned and job I have. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies