Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I think it is fairly obvious, the required education for today's high-technology world and work simply cannot be ascertained in just high-school, where you're still learning to clothe yourself.

Higher education is becoming more and more important--and unfortunately--more and more (and more and more and more and more) expensive.
Not everything in today's world is high tech. I work in IT, that's a high tech field. My housekeeper? No. My plumber? No. Are these jobs that I value having in our society? Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Not everything in today's world is high tech. I work in IT, that's a high tech field. My housekeeper? No. My plumber? No. Are these jobs that I value having in our society? Absolutely.
I would agree. I think there's only a small portion of jobs in those really high tech areas that demand $$$. Most jobs we end up doing are pretty basic, really. Heck, I'm a supply chain manager for an IT company, and my basic role includes interfacing with customers and processing orders/shipments via email/online ordering systems. College degree required, but it's not really that difficult. I guess the degree indicates to my employer that I'm committed and follow through, at least so much as to get a degree from a good college.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Skilled trades still require education and on-the-job training, not exactly something you're going to get without a little advanced education.

As for the housekeeper--I suspect she isn't making the $15+ and hour a journeyman would make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I would agree. I think there's only a small portion of jobs in those really high tech areas that demand $$$. Most jobs we end up doing are pretty basic, really. Heck, I'm a supply chain manager for an IT company, and my basic role includes interfacing with customers and processing orders/shipments via email/online ordering systems. College degree required, but it's not really that difficult. I guess the degree indicates to my employer that I'm committed and follow through, at least so much as to get a degree from a good college.
With no disrespect, your job probably doesn't require a college education. Few jobs really do, but "the market" has employers looking for college-educated persons to do some pretty basic jobs.

I'm actually pretty shocked at what needs a college education these days.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Oh when I get resumes from kids getting out of college, I do indeed take that into consideration. Everything from their class selection to their GPA tells me immediately if they are indeed serious about work. I can understand why potential employers prefer to have employees with college degrees due to this very fact. But, with the incredibly high cost of college, is this the best thing for all kids? I guess I question that logic.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
With no disrespect, your job probably doesn't require a college education. Few jobs really do, but "the market" has employers looking for college-educated persons to do some pretty basic jobs.

Maybe, maybe not. Who's to say. I guess my employer thinks it does. My job is by no means basic, it requires a lot of technical knowledge of supply chain operations and order management. It's not exactly rocket science, that's what I meant with my earlier comment. But I understand what you mean. Some basic admin jobs that didn't require a degree several years ago and do now, well that's just ridiculous.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 01-25-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Skilled trades still require education and on-the-job training, not exactly something you're going to get without a little advanced education.

As for the housekeeper--I suspect she isn't making the $15+ and hour a journeyman would make.

Trust me, she makes a great living. A good housekeeper is worth their weight in gold.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
I've never once regretted earning a BA in Latin.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Trust me, she makes a great living. A good housekeeper is worth their weight in gold.
Would you say housekeeping is a skilled trade on par with plumbing, electrical, or masonry? I've never had a housekeeper, so I'm asking.

Also, perhaps for a little detail, what kind of tasks is the housekeeper performing?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I've had some good ones and some awful ones, all for the same price.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Would you say housekeeping is a skilled trade on par with plumbing, electrical, or masonry? I've never had a housekeeper, so I'm asking.

Also, perhaps for a little detail, what kind of tasks is the housekeeper performing?
No, I would not put it in the same category. I was referencing various jobs that require or do not require college degrees. The housekeeper discussion specifically was a sidetrack that has little to do with the topic at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've had some good ones and some awful ones, all for the same price.
Yes, I feel as though I've lucked out in my personal situation and given the great demand for her, her prices are a bit higher. I've also had awful ones as well and was willing to pay the premium for her excellent work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies