Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is because people go into law with the wrong expectations.
There are also a whole lot of lawyers. Unless you graduate from a top law school or are in the top of your class and get into a big firm, you will probably end up struggling to get business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Yes, they did. And I'm absolutely certain they were not paid any large amount for doing so.

I wear jeans and Dickies work shirts.

Not exactly high dollar fashion.
Well maybe...
From the Dickies website:

Dickies garments have become so popular that they have captured the interest of the young generation. Skaters, roller bladders, motor cyclers and bikers have found the outfits irresistible. Several top celebrities have been endorsing the Dickies logo for decades. The designs have further evolved into expanded styles of pants, coveralls, shirts, hats and jackets. As an addition work boots and flame retardant clothing have been designed and sold at a great success. All of the items carry the distinctive symbol of Dickies and are recognized immediately. The name of the company coincides with the worldwide image of the quality and its superior status.

Yeah you aren't talking "runway" fashion but people buy all sorts of clothing. To dismiss an entire industry because you personally "don't get it" is silly.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A Chemistry degree does not make a chemist. Find me a bona fide chemist making $100K on a bachelors only and i'll concede your point. I don't think they exist.
A BA in chemistry alone might not make $100K but can easily be over $50K plus there are tons of job for BA/BS Chemist from water department to waste management to QC production to R&D labs everywhere. I have a chemistry degree and it took me less than 2 months to find a job in recession in 2009 (of course I had to go thru a temp-to-hire which didn't pay top salary but it was in line with average college starting salary).

Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
13. Art History
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
I got all three.

As long as you don't think I am useless, it is all good! we are all entitled to our own little opinions.

Starving artist is actually a myth. Many fine artists become graphic artists or industrial designer. (like my brother who is running a Multi million dollars business.)

Many artists have bought into a romanticized notion that art is somehow more legitimate if it is created by poor people. This notion was popularized in the mid-19th century by the writer Henri Murger, who wrote Scènes de la vie de bohème a famous French novel about a group of poor artists living in the Bohemian quarter of Paris.

But in modern days, if you can't hack it, then..

Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There are many people that fear an educated person... hey, there's a whole Political Party dedicated to that fear market.
It's a little unfair to slam Democrats in a thread about education. After all, the brain dead have to go somewhere.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Artists are right brain spatialists, liberals are left brain linealists.
Mandrake, have you ever seen a liberal linealate the Z-axis for any purpose other than satisfying self-aggrandizing motivations?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast
Those degrees only work well I v liberal parts of America like San Francisco and NYC. Anywhere else those degrees are a big flop. Go to nyc for example and most of the transient folks have degrees in such fields of study.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Yeah, who needs art and literacy?

#trumplogic

Old 03-26-2017, 05:11 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
They didn't need any degree to do it.
Quite the contrary. My son got a degree in journalism and immediately upon graduation landed a reporter job with a newspaper.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Quite the contrary. My son got a degree in journalism and immediately upon graduation landed a reporter job with a newspaper.
And I bet now he's writing fake news for some lamestream media outlet. Sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies