Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My only advice is for folks with degrees in fine arts, media journalism, advertisement, art, English, music, fashion design, photography and literature. You better buy a bus ticket and move to nyc and San Francisco. You can get a good job paying 50k a year and live in a hip neighborhood in Brooklyn with roommates.
Not true. I live in Northeastern Pa. and work with many people with degrees in the liberal arts. You don't have to live in a big city to make it in many of the fields you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Ultimately there are no guarantees in most any profession you take up.
Excellent post.

Someone said people had to move to big cities to get jobs in liberal arts professions. From what I've seen, many of the people who moved away from Northeastern Pa. after college were those with teaching, medical, law and engineering degrees.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast
College was never intended to be a job training program. Had this not happened, we wouldn't have students in major debt without many employment options. But I expect that statement "university isn't about getting a job" is slightly problematic to far more people than this list is.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast

LOL, #20 is a prerequisite for a Veterinarian Degree.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My jaw dropped as soon as I started reading that list!

From the article posted:

BTW, I know several lawyers, accountants and teachers fresh out of school who can't find a job in their fields. Conversely, I know several photographers and graphic designers who are cleaning house as people look to buy from the "little guy".
H1bs are availabe for accountants...

Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Psychology can actually be useful especially if you want to go into counseling.

I'm surprised philosophy and creative writing aren't in there.

None of my favorite singers graduated with a music degree in college, and none of my favorite authors studied literature or creative writing. If my future kids want to go into music, I'll get them a voice coach and tell them to try out for American Idol, see if they really have talent or not. Even if they move to Nashville for 2 years and wait tables by day and play in clubs by night trying to get noticed, that's better than spending tens of thousands of dollars on a useless music major.

Yeah if my kids want to go to college and major in art, philosophy, literature, drama, music etc I rather them go to a vocational school and learns skills like being a carpenter, coal miner, welder or mechanic or just go work in a restaurant and make good tips.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
What makes you think you can place an economic value of fundamental knowledge?

All majors are equally important. No major is "useless". What you're saying is, some majors are useless because of the free-market since there's an oversupply of individuals possessing that knowledge and/or that field of study is not being demanded in the market.
Sounds like you didn't learn economics very well. Might want to go study it again.
All majors are NOT equally important.
Some majors are much more important and in demand than others.
No major is useless but there are a lot that have LIMITED VALUE

Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
According to the stats, it's a useless venture except for the very select few that land a good job at one of the fashion houses you mention. The rest? They get to wallow in their debt in their parent's basement and behind the counter at 7-11.
Not so, even if money is the sole criteria as to what defines "useless".

The most advanced technological companies these days are learning that if they want to keep ahead of their world competition, hiring creative people who can think outside the box is the way to do it. Really a lot of jobs that pay the best salaries these days fully depend on someone's creativity.

The creative may not be able to be the best techs, but their ideas can be taken over and perfected by technicians who lack creativity. But the techs cannot innovate like those with trained creative minds.

Interestingly, what the particular creative area may be doesn't make all that much difference, especially when it comes to the computer and software industries. A highly trained theater major, for example, knows how to script a much better computer game than a graphic designer.

An art history degree assures the same computer game's visual details are all on the mark. A music maker can score a theme background that enhances the same game. A fashion degree can be used to make all the costuming look great. Good photos make for good backgrounds.

All this has spread into other industries as well. The auto industry, packaged food industry, and even heavy industries have all been hiring creatives right and left because they freshen companies that have gone stale and are falling behind the world competition.

The arts degrees hold another advantage to business; the creatives have turned out to be great small team leaders, especially in fields where production demands attention to detail and high quality work that is repetitive.

In addition, there are some degrees, like industrial design, that are half art, half engineering.

One reason why the arts degrees haven't kept up with other wages is not due to the lack of jobs for them, it's the people themselves. The arts majors fresh out of college don't think of looking to apply for jobs in fields that aren't closely related to their degree and what they learned in college.

But this is changing too, as increasingly more colleges are developing employment offices that give students the ways and means of finding a job after graduation. All colleges are facing the problem of increasing costs of enrollment. They are having trouble enrolling new students, so offering them employment skills has been an area that is now receiving major attention.

One of the facts of life that is overlooked now is: A happy life is more than just money. The arts majors tend to live happier lives at all income levels because their strongest skills make them happy, even when they aren't making a lot of money.

I've made a pretty good living in the arts all my life. And I'm far from being as good at what I do than some of the folks I know. The thing about creative people is simple- they are compelled to do what the do in ways that less creative people are not.
The satisfaction they get from what they do is more intense than non-creative work is, and it drives them on to do even better and better.

It never stops until the person is either physically or mentally incapable of continuing. And even then, a creative who can't do what they once could tends to turn to another area that is also just as creative.

And for a poor kid, the creative arts are often the only way they have to a better life. There's enough demand for them that a poor creative kid doesn't have to become famous to have a better life than the one he grew up in. And one creative child can pull an entire family out of deep poverty.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is because people go into law with the wrong expectations.
The same applies to every college degree offered. The biggest problem new graduates typically have is not knowing where to look for a job that may lie on the fringe of their expertise.

And a lot of the best-paying degrees often benefit the most with a minor in business management. Doctors, as an example, are now encouraged to take basic business courses while in pre-med because they will enter a very complicated and high-cost business once out of medical school.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Why do you ask?

I suppose its because of the Mechanical Engineering Techonology designation as useless?

Any "Engineering Techonology" degree is considered "engineering lite" and is not considered engineering by certification standards. ET degrees do more harm than good to students because it shows that they either couldn't, or didn't want to make the cut as a fully accredited engineer. Who want's a half-ass engineer? No one. That's why it made the list.
Exactly. Everyone needs to know that so they don't get scammed into paying for a worthless college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies