Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,919,781 times

Advertisements

So potato chips are vegetables too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Ah, big money, me thinkest you were exerting some influence on Republicans.

At least it's clear what's important to these guys: Money, not kids.
^^This.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,154,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Alright, so handmade pizza in school cafeterias is a viable option. Okay. And people don't live super busy lives, either - where they have time to make dinner after work, while also kneading dough for pizza for their kid's lunch the next day, let it rise for two hours, make a tomato base for it, put it all together, bake it for 12 minutes, let it cool down, and wrap it properly for the next day. Sure.

Pizza doesn't have to be complicated or labor intensive. I wouldn't bother to knead the dough now that I have a bread machine to do that and let it rise the first time. The flour can be bread or pizza flour, or you can have organic or whole wheat, if you want everyone to choke and spit it out. I use unbleached bread flour. A cafeteria kitchen would have a dough hook thingy. Just put in the flour etc and let 'er rip.

Then you roll it out, maybe spin it a bit if you have the time. Throw on the paste (plain paste is simply tomatoes cooked down and highly concentrated). If you're going healthy, you can use fully ripe thin tomato slices instead, which I think is how the original pizzas were made. Spread on some olive oil, oregano, garlic.

So far the ingredients cost very little. The cheese is the main cost - in most schools, they'd have to go light on it. Not so much at home. At any rate you can buy shredded pizza cheese mix for about the same price as a block of mozzarella, just put it on evenly. Salt and pepper. Add toppings. Pop into oven.

See? Not difficult, not too expensive either.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,164,273 times
Pizza as a vegetable? I want some pizza seeds so I can grow some!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

No matter your political leanings, every parent in this country should be angry about this. What more proof do you need that our "representatives" not only don't care about us, they seem to actively hate us.
We should be angry at the government because parents are too effin' stupid to manage proper family planning and too effin' lazy to raise their own children properly and in a healthy manner?

Am I getting that right?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We should be angry at the government because parents are too effin' stupid to manage proper family planning and too effin' lazy to raise their own children properly and in a healthy manner?

Am I getting that right?
Yes, it's too hard for parents to make kids their lunch and send them to school with no money to buy crap from the cafeteria. It's TOO HARD so the government has to take it over.

Funny thing though. My son took his lunch to school and I pre-paid his lunch ticket which said MILK ONLY on it.
It was extremely difficult to do. I had to send a check to school with a note. And then I had to take the 10 minutes to make his lunch each morning.

You see..that is just too hard for many American families to do. Why should they suffer like that, why put them through the hardship of making those type of decisions when they can just let the government do it for them (at probably 2000x the cost).

And DON'T EVEN start on the kids too poor to bring lunch. If they can wear Air Jordan's and have iPods and cellphones they can certainly afford to bring a ham and cheese sandwich to school each day. I am in the schools, I see these kids and what they wear and the toys they have. No pencils, no paper, no binders, no money for lunch yet they have designer clothes and the latest gadgets so don't even go there with "what if they can't afford a package of ham and cheese at home?"

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,931,169 times
And we are paying these guys salaries??

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,022,796 times
are trees considered a vegetable? sawdust makes a cheap filler for most processed foods

Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,022,796 times
isn't the tomato a fruit?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 PM

22,174 posts, read 19,441,857 times
As someone who loves Pizza (well real Pizza anyway) it would make me feel good if I said it was a vegetable, of course however to actually think that my brain would have to be a vegetable.

Republicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies