Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
People who can't prove it - can't vote.

Absentee voting may need a second look also.
Yes, especially all those servicemen and women around the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:

A better idea, would be to design a way to verify that a potential voter has not watched FOX for at least 60 days prior to voting.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Along the same lines, corporations should be 100% American to be able to influence elections.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:

The issue is what's proof? Where I vote, I had to show particular documents and at each election I need to sign in. They don't require a photo ID.

The problem with photo ID requirements is that many people, who have a legitimate right to vote, do not have a driver license and it discourages tens of thousands of voters from exercising their constitutional right.

This fact, coupled with the fact that non-citizens showing up to vote is a miniscule problem or not a problem at all, is a poor trade-off for disenfranchising droves of citizens.

Let's be clear, the reason some state legislatures are pushing these laws is precisely because they want to disenfranchise the poor and minorities, who traditionally vote Democratic.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I suppose the entire problem stems from the never ending attempt in the USA to deny the vote for some group or another. It's just toooo stupid to be believed that there is not a solution that is as easy as chewing gum.

Here in Canada there are voter lists posted way before any election. If your name is not on it you go and register as a voter. A few weeks before the election you get a voters registration card in the mail with your name and address on it. On voting day you take that to the polling station, show it and some ID and cast your ballot.

I mean it's just so freakin simple. The fact that the USA can not seem to work out even such a simple thing just really shows the degree of incompetence and disfunctionality of your political process.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Along the same lines, corporations should be 100% American to be able to influence elections.
Oooooooooo, I LIKE THAT IDEA

Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Look, the guy couldn't prove a lot more than that. If he could, then he should have and stamped out any doubt. Instead, he kept quiet, untill Trump was on his butt.
Even if we liked him, and agreed with his policies, if he wasn't born here, then we wouldn't want him. Rules are rules, and Obama is an expert at "doing his own thing"
Sounds more like a monarchy than a republic.....
Oh stuff it.

Look, I have no problems with people having their own opinions, but when those opinions have been shown to be patently disproved, then it's time to turn the page and find something else to criticize.

One serious problem I have with conservatives (especially the religious kind but not limited to them) is this increasingly common notion that people are entitled to believe whatever in the hell they choose to believe. You have the constitutional freedom to remain ignorant, as you apparently choose to do, but you have a civic responsibility to educate yourself. Try it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
People shouldn't be granted citizenship just because they are born here. Once a person turns 16, they need to take the same citizenship test given to immigrants. If you fail you can't vote, can't work, can't drive, and are ineligible for any government services.

On immigration, the government needs to stop meddling in the labor markets. Labor unions originally pushed for restrictions on immigration to prevent competition from unorganized labor. If a person is not a criminal in their homeland, then there should be no barriers to their coming here to work. After a period of time, if they are decent hard workers, then they can test for citizenship.
I agree with the OP and think this is a great idea.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Yeah, please tell this to the left! The voters like in Harlem that shock-jock Stern caught not knowing ANYthing about Obama sure need to follow your guidelines here, and talk about believing what you want, but having it called into question! Amen...

Your comments, chickenfriedbananas sound as if you think it's only in the conservative populaton that this is a severe problem! Nope....folks voted for BO that believed he had chosen Palin for VP, that he was against stem cell research, and other things that in fact were McCain's viewpoints.

There exists more than one video of the horribly, ignorant Obama voters--for the proof you may need.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A solution looking for a problem...

The attempts at voter suppression are a much bigger problem than actual voter fraud.
Absolutely correct.

Last week, for the first time ever, I was asked for an ID when I went to vote. No problem - I had my driver's license - also had my voter registration card. I've always carried both with me whenever I've voted, but was never before asked to show any ID. The poll worker would simply ask my name, they would find it on the register, and they would ask me to tell them my address. I would do so, it would be checked, and I would proceed to vote. Very simple - very easy.

So, the system that used to be in place worked just fine - I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about any voter fraud in this county in the 30 years I've lived here. The only reason to start requiring documentation is to reduce the number of people voting, and that's just un-American.

And requiring proof of citizenship - by having people bring their birth certificates to the polls? - is asinine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies