Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,121,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
People who can't prove it - can't vote.

Absentee voting may need a second look also.
NO, NO, NO!!!, That's just too logical for politicians to understand.
How else can the dead be able to vote or that illegal aliens be able to vote or that you can vote mulitple times or that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck be able to vote. That just would not be fair, it would be racist!:shocke d:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,028,018 times
Every time i've voted in the past few years i've been asked for my ID in order to compare my name to a list of voters in that precinct. I am then directed to a voting machine.

I've never balked at someone asking to see my ID to vote. It only makes sense.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Fine. I'll be your Huckleberry. But I'd qualify it with this...if you can't prove you're family was here before the United States became the United States, your vote doesn't count as a whole vote. M'kay?!

If you came between 1776-1788 your vote is worth 3/4 of a vote. After 1788-1865 a 1/2 vote. After 1865...1/4 vote.

For those who's families were here before the U.S. was the U.S., get a 50% bonus equating to a 1.5 vote per person who can prove it.
Why?

The election is in the CURRENT United States, and all CURRENT citizens are allowed to vote. Why would you want to discriminate against people who became citizens legally, just because they did so more recently than someone else?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 PM

57,022 posts, read 34,994,462 times
Quote:

Are you actually expecting reasonable people to disagree with you?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,587,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Fine. I'll be your Huckleberry. But I'd qualify it with this...if you can't prove you're family was here before the United States became the United States, your vote doesn't count as a whole vote. M'kay?!

If you came between 1776-1788 your vote is worth 3/4 of a vote. After 1788-1865 a 1/2 vote. After 1865...1/4 vote.

For those who's families were here before the U.S. was the U.S., get a 50% bonus equating to a 1.5 vote per person who can prove it.
Cool idea.

I get 1.5 votes and can prove I should

Another silly thread.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,234,539 times
Quote:

What's the average voter turnout? 50% or less. This would be a waste of time and money. He ll, can't get Americans to even vote let alone non-Americans trying to scam a vote.

LMFAO.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,225,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
People shouldn't be granted citizenship just because they are born here. Once a person turns 16, they need to take the same citizenship test given to immigrants. If you fail you can't vote, can't work, can't drive, and are ineligible for any government services.

On immigration, the government needs to stop meddling in the labor markets. Labor unions originally pushed for restrictions on immigration to prevent competition from unorganized labor. If a person is not a criminal in their homeland, then there should be no barriers to their coming here to work. After a period of time, if they are decent hard workers, then they can test for citizenship.
Hopefully, they are required to take American History, US Government and Politics, and where I am from, Participation in Government, in order to graduate from HS. It's not uniform among the states. Read between the lines of that; as in, some states WANT their citizens ignorant of the workings of our government.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM

994 posts, read 1,676,836 times
Maybe we should think about getting more people ( young especially ) to vote...before we worry about them being citizens....just a thought

Old 11-18-2011, 05:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
Quote:

Sounds great to me I can't see it being a problem for anyone who is justified to vote.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,871,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
NO, NO, NO!!!, That's just too logical for politicians to understand.
How else can the dead be able to vote or that illegal aliens be able to vote or that you can vote mulitple times or that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck be able to vote. That just would not be fair, it would be racist!:shocke d:
You are claiming that there is voter fraud in the absentee ballot system. That's a presumption that hasn't been shown to be true. If you can find some facts, please post.

The fact is that there isn't droves of illegal aliens trying to subvert the voter system. They're interested in not being caught and in making a meager living. One also needs to apply for an absentee ballot, so there aren't lots of dead people voting either.

It's a far greater crime to re-write laws that keep the poor, elderly and minorities -- who have a 100% right to vote, away from the polls.

Quote:
Voting While Black

The smell of voter suppression coming out of Florida is getting stronger. It turns out that a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation, in which state troopers have gone into the homes of elderly black voters in Orlando in a bizarre hunt for evidence of election fraud, is being conducted despite a finding by the department last May "that there was no basis to support the allegations of election fraud."
Op-Ed Columnist - Voting While Black - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies