Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Even if everything you said here is true, wouldnt this dispute the thread? After all, all of these areas have been built up, which means the claims that economic growth is just hogwash.

They might be harder hit in times of recession but that isnt due to home ownership, its due to JOBS.
Watch the video. You will understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Since when did banks get in to the home building business?

You have a lack of understanding of the construction process and costs.
They set the price of the loans, which sets the price of the market.

Right now in Florida, banks are sitting on houses, won't even put them on the market to keep prices at a certain level. The houses sitting and wasting away are worth nothing, so they let them sit and waste.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Since when did banks get in to the home building business?

You have a lack of understanding of the construction process and costs.

Like with many things, homeowners often buy because of economics. It makes no sense to spend $1500 / month in rent, when I can sell you a home that PITI will cost $800. If people rent apartments they are confined to common walls, strict rules, and far smaller spaces which directly affect the quality of life. For those in homes, most would hate life if they went back to an apartment.
Not to mention the rent going down the drain. If you own, eventually sell in better times, or if you have equity in your home you'll at least get back what would other wise have been rent.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,404 times
On a slightly different but related issue, the American Dream included home-ownership and it was generally assumed that, all things being equal, every American had the opportunity to one day own a home. However, with more people now than there is land (312,631,000 people on 3.79 square miles), that is now impossible. Unless you include condos, maybe. Someone will always be renting, despite of their income level.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
On a slightly different but related issue, the American Dream included home-ownership and it was generally assumed that, all things being equal, every American had the opportunity to one day own a home. However, with more people now than there is land (312,631,000 people on 3.79 square miles), that is now impossible. Unless you include condos, maybe. Someone will always be renting, despite of their income level.

3 hundred million people on 4 square miles?

Where in the blue hell did you come up with that silly number?

We are one of the least densely populated countries in the world, and we MORE then enough food to go around. We supply most of the worlds food for crying out loud.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If you watched the video, you will hear the claims. Phoenix, Atlanta, Orlando, and Tampa have higher percentages of home ownership than Chicago, NYC, SF, and DC, yet these cities(urban cities) have lower unemployment.

Homeownership increases unemployment.

How Homeownership Increases Unemployment - Slate Magazine
Let's learn the difference between causation and correlation before we make broad, ridiculous statements. The media hasn't quite figured it out yet...

Home ownership, like dog ownership or plane ownership or gun ownership, etc, is a great idea for some people and not a good idea for others.

I think where the whole thing derailed is when this stupid idea came out that everyone should own a home. Same stupid idea that everyone should go to college. Then what happens? Market bubbles, bursts, and everyone is left with worthless 'assets.'

Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
3 hundred million people on 4 square miles?

Where in the blue hell did you come up with that silly number?

We are one of the least densely populated countries in the world, and we MORE then enough food to go around. We supply most of the worlds food for crying out loud.
My bad. It was 3.79 million square miles. Still more people than land. And I suggest you visit California if we are so wide open. Besides, we need open space..for recreation, agriculture, and just plain piece of mind.

And I want us to stay one of the least densely populated countries.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
My bad. It was 3.79 million square miles. Still more people than land. And I suggest you visit California if we are so wide open. Besides, we need open space..for recreation, agriculture, and just plain piece of mind.

No, not more people then there is land. 307 million Americans, that means more then one square mile per american. You need far less then that for agricultural means. Of course some of that land is really unsettleable, but in all reality, we have more food then twice our population size, we have a military that far exceeds anyone on the planet.

The value of our dollar has little bearing on the future of this nation.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, not more people then there is land. 307 million Americans, that means more then one square mile per american. You need far less then that for agricultural means. Of course some of that land is really unsettleable, but in all reality, we have more food then twice our population size, we have a military that far exceeds anyone on the planet.

The value of our dollar has little bearing on the future of this nation.
No...3.7 million Americans to 3.7 million square miles would be one per square mile for each American. I admit I am tired, but I don't think my math is that poor-307,000,000 is still greater than 300,700,000? So it's close, but still less land...

And I don't want the US to become one huge megalopolis from one ocean to another. We need open space. Lets not become a third world nation!!

As for producing more food...I don't see how that is relevant here, but you do realize it is because of huge, mainly-mechanized (therefore employ few) agribusinesses, the same type of corporations the Occupooers are railing against? Small,family-run farms are being run out of business. And the huge agribusinesses get an unequal and unfair larger share of farm subsidies.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I think the key here is...if you're going to own a home, do it for the right reasons and take your time to shop around for a good buy. Buy a home to stay in it and build equity, and because the schools are good. If you buy it as an investment, then you're getting away from the true purpose behind home ownership in the first place...which is always risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies