Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times

Advertisements

It is clear that the political system is broken---it is irrepearable as presently constituted.

There is gridlock compounded by adherance to idealogy and arrogance.

The job of of our political system is do the best that can be done to further the welfare of this country. This mission is to be accomplished in the spirit of an intelligent, creative, and selfless group of representives to lead the way in creating a stable and secure future for this nation.

This mission in now a failure-----our political system has degenerated into a cesspool of narcissitic and narrow minded legislators who mindlessly adhere to idealogy and sloganeering rather than rolling up their sleeves and taking action.

Our congress and senate are now paralyzed by dysfunctional legislators in both parties. I am not singling out only repubs but democrats also----shameful.

On debt reduction both parties have to realize this is a serious problem that can lead to national and international instability.

Democrats have to realize modifications to entitlements and spending progams are needed----there has to more efficient and cost effective changes made to social security and medicare--sorry dems it has to happen. Repubs have to realize there is a need to raise revenues---the tax codes of this nation are abysmal and unjust.

Repubs and teas have to get over their tunnel vision that elimination of loopholes and unfair tax codes is the devil incarnated. There are many wealthy people is this country who have never paid a dime to the Irs. Wealth is not to be condemned-----it is the cornerstone of our nation that people can pave their own futures and wealth.

It is also unfair that I have paid taxes for over 40 years without an objection, while many wealthy people hire tax attorneys to commit legalized tax evasion. Sorry, closing loopholes,and revamping the pitiful tax codes is not a tax increase----it just requires that many people who have using this type of evasion now participate in paying something to the Irs.

Congress----close to 85% of the voters are now fed up with your incompetence---and between 60-65% do not oppose closure of loopholes on the wealthy. Stand up and do your job-----if not go back to your ranches and vineyards next November.

Last edited by jefffla01; 11-20-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Aides: 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal - CNN.com

This REALLY infuriates me!

What the ****, people?? Can you not grow a freaking pair, put your stupid political BS aside for once, and DO SOMETHING?

Republicans - raise taxes on the rich for a few years. DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT - JUST SHUT UP AND DO IT. This is what compromise looks like.

Democrats - cut some of your pet social projects. DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT - JUST SHUT UP AND DO IT. This is what compromise looks like.

Jesus H Christ. With the whole world watching and all that is at stake, they can't even at least come to the table with some portion of the cuts? Zero is the best they can do? That is PATHETIC. We should fire all of these people asap.

It was designed to fail

Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So you don't think that any possible change in any way to Medicare could ever be considered?
Well, that's a little unrealistic isn't it?

Quote:
Isn't that the same type of "line in the sand" thinking that the Republicans use for "not a more dollar of taxes"? How can anything ever get done to reduce the deficit if Medicare is untouchable?
You pretty much nailed it there.

I defend the Republican position based on historical facts, that being that each and every time there were tax increases during periods of marginal performance or economic instability, there were negative repercussions, and those manifested themselves as recessions and depressions.

Twice in history a Republican-controlled House and Senate raised taxes and both times it resulted in a recession or depression, and a Democrat-controlled Congress raised taxes and caused a recession, so raising taxes now is probably not the best thing to do.

When the economy gets stable, raising taxes slightly is doable, but the economy is not going to be stable until the budget is under control, and cutting $1 TRILLION over 1,000 centuries is not enough. They need to be cutting $10 TRILLION over 10 years.

I'm an ultra-conservative, and I would do away with Medicare, but I also understand that the government has made a promise, and when we make a promise, we need to keep our word.

If the government wants to end Medicare for the 25-and-under crowd, that's fine by mean, but those who are vested or invested in the system, the government needs to come through.

To do that will require flexibility on the part of Medicare beneficiaries.

I'm not saying people need to be Gumby, just that they need to lower their expectations just a tad. This idea that the purpose of Medicare is to keep people alive, for free, until they have 120 years is ridiculous.

There will have to be some changes. What exactly, I don't know, because I've only just started looking at the Medicare mess, but it is not solvent, and it will be bankrupted very quickly at the rate things are going.

Quote:
And Social Security could certainly use some restructuring to make it stronger for those in the future. No one is talking about changing Social Security for current retirees or those nearing retirement age. But it would seem logical that changes need to be made to guarantee benefits for future retirees.
Well then people need to man-up and demand changes now, because Social Security goes totally bankrupt in 2028, unless there are some major changes.

And that is just 17 years from now, which ain't all that long.

Again, as an ultra-conservative I would do away with Social Security as people know it, but the government made a promise, and it needs to keep its word for those who are vested in the program(s).

As best as I can tell, if the government raised the cap to $250,000, and then exempted all those who earned more than a certain amount of money in a life-time from the program, and then means tested those under $250,000 who paid into the system, I think you could extend it perhaps as long as 2040 - 2050, but after that problems still crop up.

I understand that as a society, we need a Social Security-type system, we just don't need one run by the government.

I think what would work best is a forced savings plan. Take that 6.2% (increase it to offset Real and Natural Inflation) and dump it into a lock-box savings account at the employee's discretion. The government can't touch it. You can't touch it, but you can manipulate it. So those who are savvy can invest in stocks and bonds, money market accounts and other vehicles and grow their money, and those who aren't can take the safe way and just roll over CDs for 40 years.

I think the biggest obstacle is the general stupidity surrounding the false belief that you're supposed to be able to live off of Social Security.

That was never the deal. The deal was that Social Security keeps you off the streets in the event you lost your pension/401(k) Plan, and/or your personal retirement savings.

If the best someone can do on Social Security is an 8 x 10 carpeted room and Chef Boy-ar-dee Spaghetti-Os for a 1 course gourmet meal, then I'm real sorry about their luck, but that's all it is.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is to Obama's benefit if the "Super Committee" fails. It gives him the platform against a "do nothing Congress". The Democrats on this likely unConstitutional Super Congress are happy to oblige their POTUS by making it fail.
Ding!

Star pupil of the day. Someone is paying attention.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times
I generally vote Republican and Id vote everyone of em out, I doubt the Democrats would do the same...

Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
A clue was when the Dems controlled both houses and the presidency and did not even pass a budget.

Harry Reid refused to bring any repub proposed legislation to a vote. If he was so confident the repub proposals were so horrible and repulsive, he should have given them exposure to let the country see what he saw. I'm sure Harry was not trying to shield the repubs from embarassment. So why did he not allow discussion?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Default Gridlock will set us free.

So the Supercommittee hit the wall, and $1.2 trillion of automatic spending cuts will kick in.

Here are some other results we can expect from gridlock:

1. The gimmicky 2% payroll tax reduction will go away for 2012.
2. ALL of the Bush tax cuts will expire:
a. Goodbye, child tax credit.
b. 10% bracket at the low end will go to 15%, as every bracket rises.
c. Millions of people will come back on the tax rolls, and taxes will go up sharply for everybody now on the tax rolls--middle class, upper class, wealthy.
d. $3.7 trillion dollars in deficit reduction will come from this source alone over the next ten years.
3. There will be no more expensive stimulus boondoggles and no more green jobs hoaxes.
4. The economy will stink worse from the added tax burden, and the political pendulum will swing back to the tax-cutting movement.

That's how it looks to me; what do you think?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
So long as Democrats continue to be the party of no, gridlock will ensue. Fine by me.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
The popcorn is popping!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Default Did anyone actually think the "supercommittee" was going to work?

Debt supercommittee on brink of failure - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/debt-supercommittee-on-brink-of-failure/2011/11/21/gIQAqnulhN_story.html - broken link)

Nov. 21 (Bloomberg) -- A debt-reduction committee with special powers that was supposed to dissolve congressional gridlock in Washington is instead on the brink of failure, setting the stage for $1.2 trillion in automatic spending cuts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies