Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times

Advertisements

"A casting assistant who helped choose child actors for "Cheaper By The Dozen 2,""The School of Rock" and other kid-friendly movies is a convicted child molester, according to a newspaper report."

"Murphy was already out on bail and awaiting arraignment on charges of molesting the boy when, as a 19-year-old, he dressed up as a woman to abduct the little boy from his elementary school and flew with him to New York City."

Read more: Report: Casting asst. is registered sex offender (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/11/17/state/n225834S03.DTL#ixzz1e6KQeekS - broken link)

What a bizarre story. This guy has also apparently worked on "Bad News Bears" & "Super 8." He has been working in Hollywood for over a decade after serving time for his child kidnapping and molestation crime. He was on the sexual abuser list but changed his name upon moving to California.

One can only wonder how many more kids have been abused. I think 5 years was way too lite a sentence for someone who not only molested a 7 year old child but also kidnapped him across state lines.

I don't know why any parent would be anxious to get their kids into the Hollywood acting scene. I doubt this guy is all that unique in Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Seems like a big story, yet not much attention.

I mean it really points out how easy this "sex offender" registry is to get around. And FIVE years for kidnapping a small child across state lines and sexually molesting him??? I just read a story where someone got five years for killing their neighbor's dog! Do we not value the life of our children more?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,774 times
Hollywood has never heard of background checks on employees?

Well, considering Roman Polansky, I guess they didn't think it was such a bad thing or so bad enough to bar someone from working in Hollywood...until it is publicly exposed, that is.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Seems like a big story, yet not much attention.

I mean it really points out how easy this "sex offender" registry is to get around. And FIVE years for kidnapping a small child across state lines and sexually molesting him??? I just read a story where someone got five years for killing their neighbor's dog! Do we not value the life of our children more?
It's getting lots of attention in California...then again, we are the home of Hollywood.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
It's Hollywood, home of the perverts...

Nothing new here

Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Hollywood has never heard of background checks on employees?

Well, considering Roman Polansky, I guess they didn't think it was such a bad thing or so bad enough to bar someone from working in Hollywood...until it is publicly exposed, that is.
I think the guy shortened his name so that if anyone was to look him up they would get nothing.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I think the guy shortened his name so that if anyone was to look him up they would get nothing.
Right. But look how easy that is. Shows you how lame the system is.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM

Not a surprise if you've been keeping up on news here in Cali:

https://www.google.com/search?source...w=1366&bih=502

Corey Feldman: I Was Sexually Abused as a Child | Fox News

Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Yes. I had heard about Cory Feldman. I wonder if he worked with this same registered sex offender, casting asst.? Didn't the other boy, Cory Haim commit suicide? Had he been sexually molested also?

I feel bad for all these Hollywood kids. They may make lots of money but most of them turn out all messed up. Not a good environment. Too many parents looking to get rich off their children and too many perverts ready to take advantage of the situation.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Right. But look how easy that is. Shows you how lame the system is.
Agreed. And I thought this was incredible:

Quote:
The prosecutor who put Murphy behind bars 15 years ago remembered Murphy as a "bright kid" from a "good family" and said people should take note of his crimes but not jump to conclusions.

"The mere fact that he is convicted of this and is a registered sex offender should not in and of itself cause people phenomenal concern. It should get people's attention, and people should pay attention just as you would if you hire a babysitter or go to Penn State University," said Paul Stern, a deputy prosecuting attorney in Snohomish County in Washington, who has prosecuted sex crimes for 30 years.
source: Molester helped cast child actors in films and TV shows - latimes.com

I get the impression that the prosecution is defending the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies