Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
those students had a right to be there, considering that they pay tuition to be on campus, and their parents pay the officer's salary.

i think it was ridiculous what that officer did to those particular students.

i wonder how people would feel if it was their children being sprayed while they were just sitting there. (of course, if they had been fighting with the officers it would have been another story entirely)

those students just took it, and were not provoked by the officer's actions.

i wonder if any officers out there see that as inappropriate.
No, they don't have a right to be sitting there blocking traffic. If they do pay their student loans they have a right to what the school has to offer as far as an education. They still don't have the right to infringe on the rights of other people which is what all these protesters are doing.

As far as my own being pepper sprayed, my son wouldn't be one of these losers. He is about the same age. Has his degree, a job and pays for his own apartment and expenses. The job isn't related to what he studied in school and would not be his first pick. And is low paying. He took what was available for now, something these spoiled entitlement minded kids aren't willing to do. My son is among the majority that will never be pepper sprayed, because he respects the rights of everyone else around him and doesn't expect things handed to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
Yes, don't fall for marketing.
Mace in a lot of areas is illegal for civilians to posses so they use the word mace generically to sell pepper spray.

Mace is chloroacetophenone, or CN and is not pepper spray.
It causes severe lacrimation and temporary blindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-22-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM

You don't have to walk around them.
What If handicapped folks or folks using crunches or a mom with a stroller, you are blocking our way.
Why should I have to go around you when you are breaking the law not me. I just want to use the sidewalk not the private property that is next to it.

Why do you nred to block the sidewalk?
Didn't you get enough attention sitting next to it or at home?
So now you have to come out into society and get some attention any way you can.
What's the proublem, they got the attention they so craved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Really, you couldn't walk around them?

They weren't preventing anyone from going to work, or make a living, or walk down a sidewalk. They may have made you walk 30 yards out of your way, but you could still get there.

I could not disagree with you more. Your quote

"bla bla bla" says it all. You disagree with their message, so you don't care if they are violated. Sad.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
What If

All I need to quote, now we aren't even talking about the reality of this protest.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Really ,so they can stay until a handicapped person comes along. What IF it was your kid with the handicap.

But we are.

It doesn't matter if it was a deserted sidewalk or not, they are in the wrong for blocking it.
I thought siting some if the reasons why it is illegal would get you to start to think about others and not your selfish protest.

Quote:
All I need to quote, now we aren't even talking about the reality of this protest.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Really ,so they can stay until a handicapped person comes along. What IF it was your kid with the handicap.

But we are.

They weren't blocking sidewalks, they weren't blocking anyone from anything.

Thats the point, you are making crap up.

A hypothetical situation that you described did not occur, and it was not the reason that they were sprayed at point blank range by a pepper spray that is used on bears at 20 feet.

Lest other posters don't read back, Snofarmer here thinks that spraying civil rights workers with water hoses was "non violent"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk_n-...eature=related

Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM

What Vid are you watching?
They are sitting with arms interlocked across a sidewalk.
Thus blocking it.
They didn't get sprayed because they were protesting they got sprayed for illegally blocking a sidewalk and not dispersing when asked to stop blocking the sidewalk.

ps what do bears have to do with it?
but while you brought it up
It because the spray fans out at that distance. Folks who are being attacked are scared and are not going to be a very good shot and it can take a while for it to work on a bear.
If your that close to a bear it is still not a guarantee it will deter a bear at all if used.

Quote:

A hypothetical situation that you described did not occur, and it was not the reason that they were sprayed at point blank range by a pepper spray that is used on bears at 20 feet.

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-22-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:

Yes they were blocking the main walkway. I've been there many times.

Yes they were blocking the egress of the police.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So if a cop tells you to move along and you dont, is that realy any different then a cop telling you to stop and you dont?

Do those opposed to this action beleive they should just keep driving when the blues come on?
Oh, please. We don't live in a police state. I've had a police officer order me to do something before, when that officer had no reason to issue the order except to exercise his control over the situation. When I referred him to MY lawyer, a local judge, the police officer went away. Police officers are known to abuse their authority, and it's up to Americans who are proponents of freedom to challenge those abuses.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yes they were blocking the main walkway. I've been there many times.

Yes they were blocking the egress of the police.
Yeah, sure. That's why we see the officer who sprayed them climbing over the line at least twice. Because the police were SO blocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies