Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:45 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

I would probably agree that it would be favorable for everyone to complete atleast 2 years of military service after their 18th birthday. I think most young adults would benefit from a structured environment that helps to develop maturity. Simply attending college isn't enough.

But this isn't Israel and we aren't land locked with our enemies, so we wouldn't necessarily need it for practicality like they do.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,068 times

First the military gives their seal of approval on homosexuals,
then they force all young people to live with them.

A famous baby boomer slogan comes to mind:

"Hell no, we won't go !"

Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I would probably agree that it would be favorable for everyone to complete atleast 2 years of military service after their 18th birthday. I think most young adults would benefit from a structured environment that helps to develop maturity. Simply attending college isn't enough.

But this isn't Israel and we aren't land locked with our enemies, so we wouldn't necessarily need it for practicality like they do.
Israel is not the only country that does this. I think sweden requires the same thing.

I did it. I was better for the experience. I can't believe we have so many unpatriotic americans who are willing to serve their country.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Aint no such thing as a free lunch. Man up. Maybe if everyone had some skin in the game we would not have so many useless wars.
Man up? Againt what? Who is and who can invade us? And why should I be beholden to the government? Can't you answer the question of how this does not violate the concept of freedom and liberty? How hypocritical America would look!!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Israel is not the only country that does this. I think sweden requires the same thing.

I did it. I was better for the experience. I can't believe we have so many unpatriotic americans who are willing to serve their country.
There are other ways to serve your country (and voluntarily) than serving in the military. Not everyone is made for military service. And again, "serving your country," should be voluntary because we are suppose to cherish freedom. If you don't serve (in some way) and suffer because of it, then that is your fault.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:58 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Man up? Againt what? Who is and who can invade us? And why should I be beholden to the government? Can't you answer the question of how this does not violate the concept of freedom and liberty? How hypocritical America would look!!
Freedom and liberty have a cost. It is clearly constitutional. The constitution authorizes Congress to "raise and support Armies.

I am o.k. with an option that you don't have to serve, but you don't get to vote unless you have some type of disability that prevents you from serving.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Heh.

Having grown up in one of those effete European nations, I did in fact do my year in the armed forces. (Although I volunteered so I could pick my service branch. Then I picked infantry. OK, not that smart, but I was 18, OK?)

Without exaggeration: It was DAMN good for me and for most of the unspanked cubs in my unit. It's the only place where the dentists-and-lawyers-to-be meet those whose major achievement in life is to stay out of jail. Both sides are on the most level playing field there is - the one where big people with chevrons will scream in your ear with no acknowledgment of who, what and when you were before you stepped onto their drill field. And both sides benefit immensely from meeting.

I was an arrogant, over-brainy nerd who was forced to acknowledge that manual skills could be seriously useful and quite hard to acquire. I like to think that perhaps those on my team who favored manual skills were convinced that book learning and numeracy had its place. Hell, we even learned that you can actively dislike somebody and still put that aside to work quite well with him. Now, here's the sad bit: It's great for the young men, it's not overly good for the armed forces, and it's not right, in the final analysis, to force people into it. That being said, I'm seriously happy it happened to me.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Freedom and liberty have a cost. It is clearly constitutional. The constitution authorizes Congress to "raise and support Armies.
Does it say by force?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
I agree! Especially since I'm long past 18.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Most European countries have or have had some sort of national service. Germany of course wanted to make sure that the military never ever got to be its own enclave again. For the Nordic countries, it was generally considered incredibly democratic that everybody - yes, even the kids of the clergy, the noblemen and the mill owners - had to pick up a rifle when the country called. Finland - well, Finland has a neighbor with really bad habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies