Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They're job is to break you down then build you back up. First few weeks it doesn't matter what you do it's wrong. Why some couldn't realize that I never understood. I remember folks would be panicking ahhh the drill sergeant is gonna get pissed if we don't do it right and on and on and I'd just laugh and say he's gonna get pissed no matter what so get ready. They're paid to be "douchebags" I guess. I think they switch it up one plays good guy one bad guy each cycle. Well I don't even know how many they use nowdays.

i took everything seriously. so i had many nervous breakdowns in basic becaue i felt that i could never do anything right and i honestly tried my best. I don't get why they need to 'break people down'. especially since many of us are good people and were there to do what we were supposed to do and try our best.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
I guess if I knew who Arthur Spooner was I might get it??
Arthur Spooner:

Arthur Forbids Halloween - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9XH...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 11-20-2011 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

that show is so hilarous

Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
I guess if I knew who Arthur Spooner was I might get it??
Ewww the most horrible and annoying character in the history of sitcoms!

Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Ewww the most horrible and annoying character in the history of sitcoms!
i thought he was hilarous.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i took everything seriously. so i had many nervous breakdowns in basic becaue i felt that i could never do anything right and i honestly tried my best. I don't get why they need to 'break people down'. especially since many of us are good people and were there to do what we were supposed to do and try our best.
Have to break em down, teach em to rely on each other and work as a team. I use the same principles when I coach. Not to that extreme of course. You get them to work as a team instead of an individual. Of course it doesn't work all the time. I was 21 when I joined and had a sense of what was coming I think. Half the guys there were gang bangers from Cali in basic with me so they took a while to come around.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Never watched that show. I'll have to check it out. He was great on Seinfeld.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
I think a 2 month Army boot camp would benefit the youth in today's country.Install some discipline at a young age and benefit the country as a whole. After the 2 months they can join the military or go back to civilian life. It would especially help those in an impoverished lifestyle from getting them out of the hood and out of a destructive path.Give them opportunities that they didn't know they had.I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to operate and I know it would never happen, but I think it would help so many people.Anyways it's just hypothetical, but a great idea.

I think you should tell us all about your own boot camp experience and how it's made you a better American.

Because mandatory government service hasn't been around around since the end of the Vietnam disaster. Most of us learned a little something about it 40 years ago. But now we have a new generation w/o that kind of experince, short on critical thinking skills, but with ready access to computer keyboards.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:48 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
I think a 2 month Army boot camp would benefit the youth in today's country.Install some discipline at a young age and benefit the country as a whole. After the 2 months they can join the military or go back to civilian life. It would especially help those in an impoverished lifestyle from getting them out of the hood and out of a destructive path.Give them opportunities that they didn't know they had.I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to operate and I know it would never happen, but I think it would help so many people.Anyways it's just hypothetical, but a great idea.

..........there used to be a draft in the US.

I have one college age boy who plans on joining the military after admission to med school. My younger boy would probably benefit from a little time in the military, but has no current plans to do so. Every male member of my family and extended family has served in the military. All of them, including those who saw combat, said that the experience was overall a positive influence on them. On the other hand, we see vets at the VA with PTSD who are certainly changed for the worse.

I guess unless there is a pressing need for more personnel, it should be a personal choice. If circumstances change and we are in desperate need of troops, then of course a draft would be necessary.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Then our ownership by the state will be complete.
Maybe we can bring the draft back as well, as many adults lack obedience to the government too.
State ownership is already happening, by way of welfare checks and foodstamps. But most are content with that, right?
OP brings up a good idea, and people start bawling about rights. That's why this country is screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies