Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,718,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But Obama said there was at least $50B a year in fraud. Did Obama lie?
It was 50 billion per year given to private insurance companies to run Medicare programs. We don't need private companies skimming money to run programs the government already does at a lower cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM

8,353 posts, read 7,297,424 times
Quote:
I was going to respond to much of what you said, but then I got to this part and deleted the rest.

You are now confirming my statement to be correct

Corporate tax revenues INCREASED when capital gains rate DECREASED.. EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.
You were going to respond but deleted the rest? Hey, if cut and run works for you...

I was just using the words of the author of the CBO report. If you were going to respond, it would be to his thesis, not mine.

So tell us all, exactly how do you know that there was a direct causality between the capital gains rate decreasing and the corporate tax revenue increasing, when the CBO economist from your own citation said no such thing?

Otherwise, we're just on your opinion, not the CBO's opinion.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
It was 50 billion per year given to private insurance companies to run Medicare programs. We don't need private companies skimming money to run programs the government already does at a lower cost.
You have no clue how it works because government STILL contracts out these services to private companies, and they do this because they arent bound by govenrmental labor contractors, nor are they bound by pay ucr and icd9 rates. It actually saves the taxpayers A BUNDLE

Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You were going to respond but deleted the rest? Hey, if cut and run works for you...

I was just using the words of the author of the CBO report. If you were going to respond, it would be to his thesis, not mine.

So tell us all, exactly how do you know that there was a direct causality between the capital gains rate decreasing and the corporate tax revenue increasing, when the CBO economist from your own citation said no such thing?

Otherwise, we're just on your opinion, not the CBO's opinion.
You said I was wrong, and then quoted parts of the report which said I wasnt.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM

29,918 posts, read 18,480,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
What do I think? I think you are crazy.

Here is what needs to be done.

1. 15% VAT tax
2. balanced budget amendment
3. cut corporate taxes to 10-15%

There you go. Medicare, social security and medicaid are non funded liabilities so far out of what can be done to salvage them, in current form, is completely insane. They are not sustainable.

However, the average liberal, rather than choosing a rational, phased back approach, would prefer to have the whole system go bust and haver millions of people resorting to anarchy and potentially canibalism in order to sustain themselves. That is liberal 'planning", which, of course, will destroy the exact cohort they purport to support. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:23 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,668,305 times
I must say, it is a bit childish to expect one side to just "give and give and give" which is what the OP is asking for. Put all this politics aside for one second.

Reasonable human beings should be able to say "Ok, we all need to tighten our belts a little bit here. Let's increase revenue by taking away some deductions and increasing taxes a bit. Let's cut spending by lowering entitlements by 5% and another 5% from defense."

In my opinion, Americans would be more accepting of these changes if every last one of us felt the pinch. If everyone was giving a little to fix the problem, we'd probably be ok.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM

8,353 posts, read 7,297,424 times
Quote:
You said I was wrong, and then quoted parts of the report which said I wasnt.
So what did you claim supported your conjecture that tax cuts increased tax revenues.

Quote:
Corporate tax revenues INCREASED when capital gains rate DECREASED.. EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.
My dear PGHQuest, you're confusing correlation with causation. It's a matter of record that federal tax revenues have also risen after tax rates were increased.

There's nothing in the report that you cited that stated that the George W Bush tax cuts increased tax revenues. In fact, the report's author explicitly makes the exact opposite claims - that the tax cuts themselves suppressed tax revenue.

Where exactly in the report does the author link federal tax cuts to increased federal tax revenue? Paragraph and line number please. Otherwise, it's just your opinion and it's NOT supported by your citation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies