U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,086,001 times
Reputation: 6589

Advertisements

Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM
 
69,364 posts, read 61,107,876 times
Reputation: 9381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
I think you are randomly making up figures and pretending results arent what they will be.

I wont address the "trugger" cuts because I dont know enough about them and they will never happen, even if the time limit isnt met, but the Bush tax cuts INCREASED revenues, so if you deny them, that would most likely result in a DECREASE in about $300B in revenues.

But the most laughable part is you want to cut the deficit, by not cutting spending of medicare, Medicaid, SS etc, which would not cut spending, but would be the same.

No surprise though, you must have gone to the Democratic school of trick accounting, where not spending the same = cuts

You most likely just INCREASED the deficits and didnt come close to the $5.2T you "projected" in your head.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM
 
12,436 posts, read 11,363,838 times
Reputation: 3157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
Well I think that is what is going to happen. However, the GOP believe they can get the Defense part of the 1.2 put back in and they are hoping they can get a majority in the senate and the WH in 2012. If neither of those things happen, they hope they can get the WH and Senate to capitulate again. Can't raise taxes on the rich you know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: mancos
7,698 posts, read 7,499,836 times
Reputation: 6153
It's a start. the gov produces nothing but debt,so any way to stop them is good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM
 
6,976 posts, read 6,000,086 times
Reputation: 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
the Bush tax cuts INCREASED revenues.
You keep saying that.

That George W Bush's tax cuts increased revenue.

They didn't.

No serious economist, even those of the Austrian persuasion, believe that anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM
 
12,436 posts, read 11,363,838 times
Reputation: 3157
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You keep saying that.

That George W Bush's tax cuts increased revenue.

They didn't.

No serious economist, even those of the Austrian persuasion, believe that anymore.
You hear some crazy stuff on CD, and it is amazing that some people believe it even though it is obvious on its face that it is wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM
 
29,984 posts, read 41,072,876 times
Reputation: 12811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
There are no Bush tax cuts. Obama signed the current tax rates into law. Get it yet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM
 
69,364 posts, read 61,107,876 times
Reputation: 9381
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You keep saying that.

That George W Bush's tax cuts increased revenue.

They didn't.

No serious economist, even those of the Austrian persuasion, believe that anymore.
So you are saying the CBO is wrong?
Federal Tax Revenues from 2003 to 2006
Had revenues grown at the same rate as the overall economy between 2003 and 2006, federal receipts would have increased by only $373 billion. The other $252 billion of the actual increase in revenues represents growth in excess of GDP growth. As a result, receipts as a share of GDP rose from 16.5 percent in 2003 to 18.4 percent in 2006, an increase of 1.9 percentage points (see Table 1).

Please share with me your qualifications so I can compae them to the CBO's because the revenue grew both in real dollars, and as a % of GDP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,086,001 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are no Bush tax cuts. Obama signed the current tax rates into law. Get it yet?
Okay, whatever. Let the Obama tax cuts expire. It would reduce deficits by 4 trillion over ten years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
 
13,710 posts, read 9,086,001 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you are randomly making up figures and pretending results arent what they will be.

I wont address the "trugger" cuts because I dont know enough about them and they will never happen, even if the time limit isnt met, but the Bush tax cuts INCREASED revenues, so if you deny them, that would most likely result in a DECREASE in about $300B in revenues.

But the most laughable part is you want to cut the deficit, by not cutting spending of medicare, Medicaid, SS etc, which would not cut spending, but would be the same.

No surprise though, you must have gone to the Democratic school of trick accounting, where not spending the same = cuts

You most likely just INCREASED the deficits and didnt come close to the $5.2T you "projected" in your head.
Again, you have a problem with facts, data, and the CBO. That's not my problem, that's yours. I'm part of the reality based crowd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top