Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
you still did not get it..its ok, its late.
Late for you. I get it, and I corrected you. Your welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think people are bothered too easy if things aren't perfect for them. An airplane flight is a few hours out of your life. Bring a book, or IPOD, put your earphones on etc. and ignore the people around you. People of all ages smell, are rude, fat and stupid. Get used to it or never leave your house. Iv' never been on a flight that was so bad I need to make a thread about it.
Why should I incur expense and discomfort for your brats? If my seat is being kicked or I'm putting up with screaming or diaper changes on the fold down table beside me, it's bad parenting. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlila View Post
My son and I ( 9 months) flew twice this weekend and both times we were either seated in the far back of the plane or all of the families with children were made to sit together. I appreciated being near other moms because we can relate and there isn't as much pressure to make sure your kid doesn't smile, laugh, or move an inch. On the first flight an older gentleman behind us made a huge show of calling the flight attendant and having his seat changed because he didn't want to be near a baby.
Persecution and hyperbole much? Apparently, you're the kind of parent we're talking about.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
HOW ABOUT THE OLD WOMAN THAT CUTS OR JUMPS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU AT THE CASH REGISTER AND THEN OPENS HER PURSE TO WRITE A CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there SHOULD be A thread ABOUT that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then start one and quit hijacking other threads.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Babysitters are expensive nowadays. Plus, with today's crazy schedules parents probably don't want to leave their kids behind during every trip out.

Perhaps people should consider this prior to procreating. Duh. It's their responsibility, not society's to care for their kids.

Air travel is very popular now. I don't see anything wrong with it. And how do you know these kids are always jet setting off to exotic locales? You are seeing these families one time. How do you know it isn't a once yearly trip? Maybe the family has relatives in another state?

One time is more than enough for some families. Are they trying to fill their quota of abusing everyone else at one time?

Perhaps those families are traveling. Maybe they were out running errands after school and work and are stopping for a quick bite to eat. Maybe it's their one night a month they go out to eat. *shrug*

Then take them to a venue where their behaviors won't be negatively affecting everyone around them. No one thinks your kids are cute but you.

We have adult parties too, after the children are in bed and sleeping. No one I know would think that was creepy and it's actually quite common around here to do this.

Lots of assumptions in this post...
Lots of assumptions in your responses, too.
Sounds like your kids are the kind we're talking about.

Quote:
I have never experienced anything like this, anywhere.
So it doesn't happen?

Quote:
But they aren't solving any problem, really. Because there is actually no problem. It's a perceived issue that smart business people came up with and idiotic customers fall for.
They are solving a problem for people who want to eat in peace without the products of bad parenting.
The Monroeville restaurant (outside of Pittsburgh) that banned kids under 6 has increased their customer base.
If bad parenting and obnoxious byproducts weren't an issue, they wouldn't need to be addressed.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-27-2011 at 01:22 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 05:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
So, people who enjoy an evening out that is child-free are idiots?

Nobu, which is a high-end restaurant that has 29 restaurants internationally and 2 more to open, has a child-free policy and it's business is thriving. It's not as if children are being locked out of ALL restaurants. There's always Chuckie Cheese.
No, that's not what I said. I said people who fall for the "all children are loud obnoxious monkeys" crap are idiots.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Do you pay for economy and sit in first class because "you feel like it"?

Even in economy you are assigned a seat by the airline; you don't get to sit where you feel like.
Is there a difference in pricing for children's tickets? Is there a difference in service, seat size, etc for children's tickets?

Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
There is a inconvenience from both groups. It is not one sided.

The fact is that a solution has to be found to accommodate both parties. Each party has their own needs and the airlines need to find a way to meet the needs to the extent possible.

I see parents struggling with children and clearly it is not easy, even with well behaved children on long flights as they can get fussy. Flying with children has to be one of the biggest things that a parent dreads having to do, not just taking care of the child(ren), but knowing that there may be a level of disturbance to others who will clearly show their annoyance (those without children). As much as I understand it, I am one of those that doesn't want to sit next to babies and toddlers. So how do you fix it so that each party has a measure of relief aside from creating family sections from non-family?
No the airlines needn't do a thing. Except maybe change the way they load planes. People need to learn how to deal with a bit of inconvenience and they need to learn how to adapt to different situations.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 AM

932 posts, read 1,176,895 times
16 pages later and this has turned into a childfree vs. not childfree debate. Personally, I side with the childfree side of this debate. I don't hate children, but I don't particularly enjoy being around bratty misbehaving kids on a 4 hour flight, where the parents make little or no effort to discipline them for bad behavior.

Flying is already a pain in the ass. Planes are cramped, security is much tighter than it used to be (for good reason). The time before last that I flew from Boston to Fort Lauderdale, I had my seat constantly kicked by a brat sitting behind me whose parents also seemed to find his loud behavior humorous (rather than at least try to discipline him). It got so bad that I had to move seats (thankfully there were a couple of spare seats on the flight).

More families do seem to be flying together these days. Because of that, airlines do need to address the issue. Telling somebody to "suck it up" or put headphones on is not acceptable. Discipline your kids....this is something that society in general seems to be failing at in 2011. It's not cute and it's not funny to let your children run amok on a plane. Nobody is expecting total silence, but I have witnessed (too many times) kids get away with awful behavior that I would never have got away with at that age.

I applaud airlines for considering this move. It shows they are at least listening to customers. Like I said 16 pages ago, whichever airline does this will get my business as a frequent flyer.

On another note, I don't get the prejudice towards people who choose to be childfree, but that's another discussion.

Last edited by Glasvegas; 11-27-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
No, that's not what I said. I said people who fall for the "all children are loud obnoxious monkeys" crap are idiots.
You comment had to do with my post regarding restaurants not allowing children in for dinner, to which you replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
But they aren't solving any problem, really. Because there is actually no problem. It's a perceived issue that smart business people came up with and idiotic customers fall for
Where in the above statement does it say "all children are loud obnoxious monkeys"? As a matter of fact, no one has referred to children as being such - except you.

It must be a very real issue seeing as how some restaurants have put a policy in place not allowing children in for dinner, and not a perceived one as you choose to see it. It must be a real issue if airlines are looking to group families together. Do you resent that airlines may reserve the front row in economy behind the bulkhead for handicapped or elderly people? If airlines reconfigure seating to acccommodate EVERYONE do you have a problem with that, or don't you get it?

You want the world to revolve around, change and accommodate you and your children, and to hell with everyone else who doesn't share your view. There are two issues here, which require solutions that will come close as possible to a compromise that would satisfy everyone on both sides of the issues.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
No the airlines needn't do a thing. Except maybe change the way they load planes. People need to learn how to deal with a bit of inconvenience and they need to learn how to adapt to different situations.
Then families grouped together in a family section, be it in the back of the plane, will need to adapt to that situation.

I don't want to nor should I have to "learn" to adapt at being inconvenienced by lazy parents who don't mind their children - and I mean toddlers. I don't want to adapt to a screaming baby next to me or in front or in back of me. If the airline gave me a free ticket every time I flew, I still wouldn't want to sit near toddlers and screaming babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies