Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Seems to be a subject that comes and goes. Babies on airplanes.

Flying With Little Children? Go to the Back of the Plane - WSJ.com

So in order to try to keep everyone happy, airlines willl attempt to keep families together by putting them together in the back of the plane.
I would definitely prefer an airline that put kids in the back. There is nothing worse than a crying baby on a flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Seems to be a subject that comes and goes. Babies on airplanes.

So in order to try to keep everyone happy, airlines willl attempt to keep families together by putting them together in the back of the plane. This would also put space between them and people who tend to be disturbed by babies and wandering children. But this has caused someone to remark that the airlines are creating "baby ghettos" by putting families in the back of the plane. WTH???? Apparently airlines are also reserving bulk head seats for the handicapped, as it should. Now, if you can't see why handicapped people should have preference over your child that's screwed up. Some airlines have already banned children from first class.

I get that babies fuss during take off and landing, but it's the hours spent in between when kids are all over the place, running up and down the aisle, kicking the seat from behind, pulling on the head rest of the seat in front, while mother/father who has learned to block it all out sleeps through the trip. And, unfortunately, parents don't see it the way other passengers without children see it.

When I travel back to the states (at least once a year) it can be anywhere from 14 to 16 hours depending on where I'm going, and I always travel in business and ask for seats in front. I find that in order for me to travel pretty much undisturbed - I have to pay for that pleasure. If airlines make that a policy, I wouldn't mind saving some money flying economy.

When having this discussion on another forum with mothers they suggest all kinds of things I can PURCHASE so I won't be disturbed. When it's suggested that maybe if they were more mindful of their childrens behavior and how disturbing it is they get insulted. At the end of the day, it's not the children that are a problem, it's the parent(s).

I found this, and thought I would add a bit of humor to a very touchy situation.

Bill Cosby - "Jeffery" - YouTube
Babies don't bother me and rarely do kids but the parents do quite often. Some like to yell and cuss at their kids every minute. I got into it with one lady on the Amtrak over it. She was cussing and yelling every other minute and finally I had enough.

I would prefer they segregate fat people. On my last flight on Jet Blue I couldn't even access my Sirius controls without lifting the gut of the guy next to me. His gut was hanging over my arm rest. So I just went without.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
I feel the same way about restaurants. I refuse to eat at any place that encourages kids with "kids eat free" and kids menus.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I think there are worse things than fussy or excited children.

Airline Panic Attack [ORIGINAL] - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
This issue goes hand in hand with the unbridled sense of entitlement that has gripped the current generation of people who are having children. Sadly, parents have overplayed their entitlement for some time, and the ebb and flow of society is turning against them. There are some parents who do a good job, but in my experience, they are being outnumbered by the ones who don't.

The origin of the problem, IMO, is that kids have become an excuse. Want to get a dumb law passed, or excuse some disproportionate action in response to any event? Just use the word "children". Want to excuse poor behavior instead of fixing it? "Children". Instead of expecting the additional responsibility of having kids, parents expect special dispensation as a reward. Parents with young children parking? Pre board for families? Really? They should have to park all the way at the end of the parking lot, and board last.

Finally, everyone knows this isn't about babies screaming during climb and descent. Everyone gets that. This is about little kids kicking seatbacks for a half an hour at a time, being disruptive, noisy, and behaving in ways that used to be considered unacceptable.

With respect to preboard, on some flights, after families pre-board with the wheelchairs, half the plane is full. All the seasoned flyers, elite status passengers, and first/business class, have to wait until later. I don't know if my airline has an age limit on first class, but I rarely ride with kids in first or business class, and when I do, they always seem to be well behaved.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think there are worse things than fussy or excited children.

Airline Panic Attack [ORIGINAL] - YouTube
Panic attack or just plain nuts?!?!?! I guess there wasn't any Federal Agents on that flight otherwise they might have accommodated him and shot him. I would have been consumed with fear if I was on that flight. And just to add: what a racist!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It also makes sense because they take forever to get off the plane.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
What do you mean... Old people ??? How is it old people take more room???

I met a perfectly nice young couple on a train from Barcelona to Madrid. They had settled in seats that included my ticket assigned seat. On approaching them they told me to go sit somewhere else. I certainly did NOT attribute their disrespect to being OLD.

And I don't usually see ...old... people carrying diaper bags and toys and other whatnot for the maintenance of children.
I mean old people. As in people who are old. People who have lived a long time. OLD people. Lots of entitled old people. I'm sick of them! Put 'em in the back so I don't have to listen to them or deal with their entitled attitudes.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Old people smell?? As if young and middle aged people don't have a hygiene problem. A dirty diaper is considerably offensive unless one is immune to the stink. How is it that old people take up more space? I've seen people who don't fall in the "old people" category overlap their seats. One of the reasons I fly business so I don't have some fat clammy arm pressed up against me. An incessant talker is easy to deal with: just put the head phones on. Drunks are handled by the flight attendants. They can be addressed.
Um no. I said smelly people. Then I said old people. Two types of annoying people!

As for the rest of your post, you mean an entire group of people don't act the same way? No! Surely, you jest!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:18 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I mean old people. As in people who are old. People who have lived a long time. OLD people. Lots of entitled old people. I'm sick of them! Put 'em in the back so I don't have to listen to them or deal with their entitled attitudes.
You have something to look forward to - an attitude filled with entitlement. So when you become old it won't bother you when young people who have the attitude you have now, gives it back to you. At least you'll be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies