Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
The AGW fraudsters took a huge blow at the Copenhagen global warming conference. If they got their way we would have internal and global cap and trade.
The only thing that saved us from cap and trade was the election of 2010 and the loss of the House by the Dems. Also, I think that Obama lost his shot at cap and trade because he thought his health care law was more important and waited too long to shoot for Cap and Trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM

629 posts, read 770,045 times
Hurry, prop up Solyndra

Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,426,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In before black helicopters, shortwave radio, freeze-dried food, bunkers, and tinfoil hats

Look...

The more paranoid among our CD posters really DO need to find a use for their old Y2K bunkers, though. They should at least replace those 12 year old jars of peanut butter and dust off the shelves for the next big coming disaster. If it isn't extreme weather in the short run, watch out for 12-12-12.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
As a member of "Friends of Concrete" I must take issue with all this talk about "extreme weather" and its risk to housing.
Anyone who lives in a concrete house will tell you that the "extreme weather" risk is highly overstated.
Harrumph.

lool 30 inch thick reinforced walls here, some parts 4 feet thick, and not in a flood zone.. it's wise to build according to the local extremes..

Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,218,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You are very right about getting as ready for any of those things as possible but I have lived in tornado alley all my life and have never been closer than a couple of miles to one. What happens when one hits my house? There is very little you can do other than get in the safest part of your house and hope the thing misses you.
Well, knock me down with a feather -- you and I agree on something! And you are absolutely right.

There's not a damn thing you can do if Mother Nature (and Al Gore) decide to target your house with a twister. What I hope YOU and others in Tornado Alley do, is to have built a fully stocked storm cellar to emerge into the aftermath with as much comfort and quality of life as possible while the rebuilding goes on.

And you're right again (be still, my heart) about my area experiencing none of those weather threats. Instead, we get to read regularly how we're all doomed because the Cascadian Subduction Zone is "nine months pregnant." Not exactly a threat from climate change but I'm sure you deniers are behind it in some way, anyhow.

Cascadia: The West Coast Fault Line That Is "Nine Months Pregnant" - Environment - GOOD

Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Every winter I hope for global warming. Every summer I hope for a ice age. That is my extreme weather predictions and they've been coming in wrong every six months or so.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The only thing that will be more extreme than what has already happened repeatedly both before and after the use of fossil fuels began is the extreme reporting of regularly occurring bad weather. The weather really hasn't changed much. The world population has almost doubled in the last 40 years. It only makes sense a much higher number of people would be effected by bad weather, yet the GW alarmists try to use injuries and deaths, property damage, and far better coverage and reporting of weather incidents as "evidence" that things are getting worse. Things are not getting worse, except the demented minds of the GW alarmists.
Try telling that to the life long old timers in Texas and Oklahoma, many of who never lived through such a hot and dry summer as 2011. Surely, the Dust Bowl didn't get that bad during any one of its years. And in the winter of this year a lot of old timers in Oklahoma had never felt the temperature go as far below zero as it did. And then from the Oklahoma earthquakes earlier this month, while not weather related, a lot of old timers got to feel an earthquake for the very first time. Face it, something out of order is going on and to deny it is to be unprepared for what the future may hold. For instance, important lakes that cities use for water may go dry, though some of that problem will be linked to increase in population.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-20-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You are very right about getting as ready for any of those things as possible but I have lived in tornado alley all my life and have never been closer than a couple of miles to one. What happens when one hits my house? There is very little you can do other than get in the safest part of your house and hope the thing misses you.
Or if it doesn't miss us that it's not maxed out to a force 5. In dealing with tornadoes that strong one had best be in an underground shelter since an entire home can be blown away. Getting in a bathtub and covering up with a mattress may not keep you safe and alive.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,297,697 times
Ain't nothing a little sun or wind screen can't take care of.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Get ready to suffer extreme weather

Oh boy, another hide under the table and be be scared of climate change/global warming announcement from the IPCC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies