Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times

Advertisements

I don't know what has happened to the Republican Party. I just cannot figure out where we are these days. I am not really deeply political but I have voted Republican about 85% of the time until recently. I had to vote for Reid this time because the local Republicans nominated a candidate that was off the deep end and it looks like the national GOP is trying to do the same thing with the likes of Cain, Perry, Bachmann and Newt when they have a perfectly acceptable and electable moderate candidate in Romney. Honestly the future of the Republican Party is not looking good right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I don't know what has happened to the Republican Party. I just cannot figure out where we are these days. I am not really deeply political but I have voted Republican about 85% of the time until recently. I had to vote for Reid this time because the local Republicans nominated a candidate that was off the deep end and it looks like the national GOP is trying to do the same thing with the likes of Cain, Perry, Bachmann and Newt when they have a perfectly acceptable and electable moderate candidate in Romney. Honestly the future of the Republican Party is not looking good right now.
They almost always pander to their base in the primaries. Wait until the general election. There will be a more moderate candidate then. (Both parties usually do this.)

Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Shouldn't those people be at work from 12-3 p.m?
In my town he's on at 9-12. And I am at work. The economy is bad-we all know that. But "redistribution of wealth" is not the answer. I believe in a safety net like Food Stamps and welfare, but only as a last resort, only temporary, and with tighter, reformed controls.

As for getting the economy rolling again: I am conflicted beween the government spending more money (that it could print debt-free if it wasn't for the Federal Reserve) to invest in new industries and education, and then seeing increased tax revenue and prosperity in the future (but hopefully not increased taxes, I am against that), with cutting back spending, loosening regulations, and letting businesses keep more of their own money to re-invest in themselves and create jobs. Both sides make powerful arguments.

I know here we have building and health code inspectors that love to contradict each other and force a business owner to fix something over and over, running some out of town or just out of business..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Since some of you don't seem to understand Reagan and the GOP of those days...

On bureaucrats...
Quote:
Not too long ago, two friends of mine were talking to a Cuban refugee, a businessman who had escaped from Castro, and in the midst of his story one of my friends turned to the other and said, "We don't know how lucky we are." And the Cuban stopped and said, "How lucky you are? I had someplace to escape to." And in that sentence he told us the entire story. If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

And this idea that government is beholden to the people, that it has no other source of power except the sovereign people, is still the newest and the most unique idea in all the long history of man's relation to man.

This is the issue of this election: Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capitol can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves.
"A Time for Choosing" (October 27, 1964)

On how to deal with the world, and the Soviet Union, as a conservative...
Quote:
This is our challenge and this is why we're here in this hall tonight. Better than we've ever done before, we've got to quit talking to each other and about each other and go out and communicate to the world that we may be fewer in numbers than we've ever been but we carry the message they're waiting for. We must go forth from here united, determined and what a great general said a few years ago is true: "There is no substitute for victory." Mr. President.
Remarks at the Republican National Convention (August 19, 1976)

On American exceptionalism...
Quote:
I’ve seen America from the stadium press box as a sportscaster, as an actor, officer of my labor union, soldier, officeholder and as both Democrat and Republican. I’ve lived in an America where those who often had too little to eat outnumbered those who had enough. There have been four wars in my lifetime and I’ve seen our country face financial ruin in depression. I have also seen the great strength of this nation as it pulled itself up from that ruin to become the dominant force in the world.

To me our country is a living, breathing presence, unimpressed by what others say is impossible, proud of its own success, generous, yes and naïve, sometimes wrong, never mean and always impatient to provide a better life for its people in a framework of a basic fairness and freedom.

Someone once said that the difference between an American and any other kind of person is that an American lives in anticipation of the future because he knows it will be a great place.
Announcement for Presidential Candidacy (November 13, 1979)

Reagan on Obama and the democrats...
Quote:
Never before in our history have Americans been called upon to face three grave threats to our very existence, any one of which could destroy us. We face a disintegrating economy, a weakened defense and an energy policy based on the sharing of scarcity.

The major issue of this campaign is the direct political, personal and moral responsibility of Democratic Party leadership --i n the White House and in Congress -- for this unprecedented calamity which has befallen us. They tell us they have done the most that humanly could be done. They say that the United States has had its day in the sun; that our nation has passed its zenith. They expect you to tell your children that the American people no longer have the will to cope with their problems; that the future will be one of sacrifice and few opportunities.

My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view. The American people, the most generous on earth, who created the highest standard of living, are not going to accept the notion that we can only make a better world for others by moving backwards ourselves. Those who believe we can have no business leading the nation.
Republican National Convention (July 17, 1980)

On the size and scope of government...
Quote:
In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price.

So, as we begin, let us take inventory. We are a nation that has a government—not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the Earth. Our government has no power except that granted it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.

It is my intention to curb the size and influence of the Federal establishment and to demand recognition of the distinction between the powers granted to the Federal Government and those reserved to the States or to the people. All of us need to be reminded that the Federal Government did not create the States; the States created the Federal Government.

Now, so there will be no misunderstanding, it's not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work—work with us, not over us; to stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it.
First Inaugural Address (January 20, 1981)

And, to finish off, for those that think the GOP has been taken over by the religious right... Reagan, speaking to the National Association of Evangelicals...
Quote:
Yes, let us pray for the salvation of all of those who live in that totalitarian darkness—pray they will discover the joy of knowing God. But until they do, let us be aware that while they preach the supremacy of the state, declare its omnipotence over individual man, and predict its eventual domination of all peoples on the Earth, they are the focus of evil in the modern world.

It was C.S. Lewis who, in his unforgettable "Screwtape Letters," wrote: "The greatest evil is not done now in those sordid 'dens of crime' that Dickens loved to paint. It is not even done in concentration camps and labor camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried and minuted) in clear, carpeted, warmed, and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voice."

Well, because these "quiet men" do not "raise their voices," because they sometimes speak in soothing tones of brotherhood and peace, because, like other dictators before them, they're always making "their final territorial demand," some would have us accept them at their word and accommodate ourselves to their aggressive impulses. But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simple-minded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom.

So, I urge you to speak out against those who would place the United States in a position of military and moral inferiority. You know, I've always believed that old Screwtape reserved his best efforts for those of you in the church. So, in your discussions of the nuclear freeze proposals, I urge you to beware the temptation of pride—the temptation of blithely declaring yourselves above it all and label both sides equally at fault, to ignore the facts of history and the aggressive impulses of an evil empire, to simply call the arms race a giant misunderstanding and thereby remove yourself from the struggle between right and wrong and good and evil.
"Evil Empire" Speech (March 8, 1983)

Now, to sit back and laugh at all the liberals desperately hoping to somehow use Reagan for a politcal ping-pong ball...

Maybe you should go back through the 4th grade...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
You quoted wikiquote, not me.

I have theses to read and grade...lets see how this debate pans out.

IMO Reagan was the last decent GOP candidate. What they are rolling out now reflects their disdain and contempt of the American people. Next election will be another "fasten your seatbelts" election bcs people are fed up in general.
He was a great president but the GOP of today sounds exactly like he did but without the eloquence and amiability.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Shouldn't those people be at work from 12-3 p.m?
. JMO but when I drive through western NC to get to asheville airport and see the trailers, these people arent working.....not quite sure what they do..........

Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
See? No hate or vitriol here!!
Good little Republican...Ignore Reality and Play the Victim Card, I know its about the only defense the Republicans have! Boo whoo whoo...Its all the medias fault, the media is biased, hollywood is biased, scientist' are biased, mother nature is biased, common sense is biased, people with brains are biased...etc etc...Whenever the Republican view is presented and routinely shot down and rejected by the majority its all because everyone else is biased!

Want to see a Republican implode? Make them answer a question on an issue...LOL

Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Good little Republican...Ignore Reality and Play the Victim Card, I know its about the only defense the Republicans have! Boo whoo whoo...Its all the medias fault, the media is biased, hollywood is biased, scientist' are biased, mother nature is biased, common sense is biased, people with brains are biased...etc etc...Whenever the Republican view is presented and routinely shot down and rejected by the majority its all because everyone else is biased!

Want to see a Republican implode? Make them answer a question on an issue...LOL
Hey, I was just pointing out a truth. I don't think I'm a victim. I had to register as a Republican to vote in the primaries and I do identify more with the Right, but I am really an independent who agrees with Dems on a few things (like gay marriage and universal healthcare.)

Want to see a Democrat implode? Point out the truth...LOL

Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Hey, I was just pointing out a truth. I don't think I'm a victim. I had to register as a Republican to vote in the primaries and I do identify more with the Right, but I am really an independent who agrees with Dems on a few things (like gay marriage and universal healthcare.)

Want to see a Democrat implode? Point out the truth...LOL
And when did I ever defend the (current) Republican party? Or its current platform? Or any Republican politician or candidate?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
"There's a fungus among us." It's happened to both parties, whatever "it" is!

The left has gone bonkers into Subversion, AT the top. I have friends and associates that are Dems. and they are saying some of the same criticisms that we are, finally. They don't know their own party. Their grandparents, they say would not recognize it in Obama and his UnAmerican administration.

The GOP has been infiltrated, brainwashed at the top? threatened with invisible guns in their backs, at the top?? SOMETHING has pushed both parties further to the left.

That little label of "progressive" isn't working for them. They, at the top of both parties are becoming more and more transparent and folks are in various stages of awakening, and resenting or not liking what they are seeing.

McCain was forced upon us last time. Is Newt already in obedience to 'them?" They'll push him in the media, along with Romney?? We'll have yet another progressive candidate forced upon us, against BO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies