Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

Most gated communities have home owner associations. THey can realy suck.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
LOL you actually make some really really good points.

Although I find nothing wrong or racist if you or anyone would make threads about stereotypes or faults about white people or any other race (like the pedophile point you mentioned).

I do agree that there isn't really a "point" to it, but why does it have to be a "point" to it? This is a discussion board and many threads (probably most) really have no point BUT to discuss a certain topic.

I see no problem with that

Lastly mentioning middle class black Americans (and there safer neighborhoods) in this discussion IMO does not disprove that these crime factors are based on culture
Because there is a point - the OP wants people to admit that blacks are bad, so it's only fair that the OP or anyone that thinks like him/her admit what the point of these threads is- I'm sure I can guess but I'd rather hear it from one of the horses' mouths.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:11 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Because there is a point - the OP wants people to admit that blacks are bad, so it's only fair that the OP or anyone that thinks like him/her admit what the point of these threads is- I'm sure I can guess but I'd rather hear it from one of the horses' mouths.
Poorest roughest neighborhood in Philly (black) - high crime
Italian part of Philly, near Passyunk- not the poorest, but still a fair amount of crime
South Boston (Irish)- ton of crime in this poor, but gentrifying area

A stroll through an exclusive Black enclave shouldn't elicit fear. No one's going to run out of their 7000 sq ft house to rob or rape you.

And to the Black poster that walks through the 'hood' with his iphone on and tunes everything out- Not a good look for you. Gotta keep your head on a swivel or risk being taken for a mark. You should know that.

And to Alphamale- I have neighbors in Rittenhouse who won't go to South Philly because of the crime- who are they worried about there?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:11 PM

450 posts, read 502,648 times
Quote:
The premise of your assertion is really what confusing me about that type of opinion in this discussion.

Why do you automatically believe that because the OP feels they way he does (based on facts, tv or whatever factors) that he/she thinks all black people are bad (or that he/she is racist)?

Why can't the discussion be simply about the Negroes that pop off and shoot each other and innocent people?
And not be expanded to include every single black person that don't apply to these statistics or are not violent?

I'm sure the OP may like black ppl, hey he may even be a big fan of a say Kobe Bryant. His girlfriend may be black. Who knows??!!

So why again does talking or criticizing a certain subset of blacks (the VIOLENT IGNORANT ONES) mean a person or group is talking about ALL black people?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
The premise of your assertion is really what confusing me about that type of opinion in this discussion.

Why do you automatically believe that because the OP feels they way he does (based on facts, tv or whatever factors) that he/she thinks all black people are bad (or that he/she is racist)?

Why can't the discussion be simply about the Negroes that pop off and shoot each other and innocent people?
And not be expanded to include every single black person that don't apply to these statistics or are not violent?

I'm sure the OP may like black ppl, hey he may even be a big fan of a say Kobe Bryant. His girlfriend may be black. Who knows??!!

So why again does talking or criticizing a certain subset of blacks (the VIOLENT IGNORANT ONES) mean a person or group is talking about ALL black people?
It was a poorly worded question. There were no qualifiers as to 'nice', 'middle-class' or 'inner-city'. It was written as a blanket indictment that Black neighborhoods are more dangerous than White ones.

To continue it the argument is also predicated on the incorrect fact that all Black neighborhoods are poor or poverty stricken. Continuing the question also leaves out the possibility of a rough, white neighborhood.

The OP didn't criticize a subset- he indicted the entire populace.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm not so sure that's true. His posts are, well, rather dubious in nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I SERIOUSLY doubt that, look at his posts, and not only on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Oh no don't call EdwardA black! he'll take offense to that. He's a person of African descent that was naturally born here in the United States. Apparently he has nothing to do with the "culture" of the rest of the Black Americans here in the United States. Cause you know, we are all the same, and yet he's not like us at all. The way you people post in this thread make it sound like all black people live in the Projects in the middle of the inner city. Thanks for the vote of confidence non-black America. Plus EdwardA. Its seems like every week there is a stupid, stupid, stupid race thread on the site. Maybe city-data should make another sub-forum under PO&C called "I have an unhealthy fascination with Black People because I saw something on TV." That way, we can stop sh*tting up the main PO&C forum with this useless banter and get back to the real issues like why only people on the internet want to vote for Ron Paul or why 150 reasons why I don't think liberals are Americans.

So basically you guys want people to say "black neighborhoods are more dangerous than non-black neighborhoods. Fine say it nobody cares just be specific about it. "Poor black neighbhorhoods with active gang activity are more dangerous than Gate white communities in Salt Lake City." I think that is about as accurate as you can get with that.

I wish you folks would make up your minds. Is there one monolithic Black culture or not? One hand many of you say there is no monolithic culture and that the "ghetto culture" is but one aspect. Yet the same people seem put off that I don't consider myself a typical Black American and that my posting style is "white". Which would suggest that there is one monolithic Black culture and by straying from it I can't possibly be black.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I don't know about you, but I have been in plenty of these threads and almost each and every time "black culture" is blamed and some poster tells me that it is my duty as a black person to do something about black culture - why would I be responsible for all black people anymore than these stereotypes do not encompass all black people?

I also know that any time someone makes a negative thread about white people (I could prove this very easily) it gets deleted. Furthermore, these threads never make a distinction between bad black people and good black people, so how else would someone take it? When anyone else attempts to make a distinction based on socio-economic satus and points out that this is NOT all black neighborhoods, the racist posters either ignore it or point out something about how poor white neighborhoods have less crime which only proves that the whole point of these threads is to bash blacks.

When I need to admit that a neighborhood is bad, I wil but not just to fulfill someone's need to bash black people. There are people that state facts because they care - kind of like a parent telling a child that she is wrong, then there are those who do so because of their own selfish reasons or to be destructive - these types of threads fall into one of the latter categories. This is why I have a problem with it and I have been here long enough to know that there is no good in these threads and that the "point" is nothing positive.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I have been in plenty of these threads and almost each and every time "black culture" is blamed and some poster tells me that it is my duty as a black person to do something about black culture - why would I be responsible for all black people anymore than these stereotypes do not encompass all black people?

I also know that any time someone makes a negative thread about white people (I could prove this very easily) it gets deleted. Furthermore, these threads never make a distinction between bad black people and good black people, so how else would someone take it? When anyone else attempts to make a distinction based on socio-economic satus and points out that this is NOT all black neighborhoods, the racist posters either ignore it or point out something about how poor white neighborhoods have less crime which only proves that the whole point of these threads is to bash blacks.

When I need to admit that a neighborhood is bad, I wil but not just to fulfill someone's need to bash black people. There are people that state facts because they care - kind of like a parent telling a child that she is wrong, then there are those who do so because of their own selfish reasons or to be destructive - these types of threads fall into one of the latter categories. This is why I have a problem with it and I have been here long enough to know that there is no good in these threads and that the "point" is nothing positive.
Hey Bro,

You are welcome in my hood any day. I won't call the cops on you.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Soooooo? He is not allowed to point out facts about his own race?
Nope. The descendants of slaves have carried with them some of the pathologies of the plantation. One being don't air our business in front of white folks. That's a big no-no to them. So while they begrudgingly acknowledge the facts they don't want to give too much shine to them.

This thinking is backwards and frankly indicative of a slave mentality. If you can't acknowledge there is a problem you can never come to a solution.

Since I'm not a descendant of slaves I'm free from such mental constraints and can clearly and objectively analyze a set of facts without becoming emotional.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I wish you folks would make up your minds. Is there one monolithic Black culture or not? One hand many of you say there is no monolithic culture and that the "ghetto culture" is but one aspect. Yet the same people seem put off that I don't consider myself a typical Black American and that my posting style is "white". Which would suggest that there is one monolithic Black culture and by straying from it I can't possibly be black.
If your skin is dark and your hair is kinky, you're most likely black - period. If your parents are Nigerian, you are black and when racists see you, you are no different than the thug on the street corner slanging crack - make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies