Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Nothing of any real worth has been produced by those born post 1970. Sure there is Google and Facebook, but they pale in comparison to the achievements of generations past.
Right; I am worthless.

Speak for yourself, mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
At least we aren't running around trolling on C-D?

And fyi, Generation Y is usually considered to be 1980-2000 so you have your generations mixed up.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Quote:
Nothing of any real worth has been produced by those born post 1970. Sure there is Google and Facebook, but they pale in comparison to the achievements of generations past.
I'd say its millenials: 10 characteristics of Generation Me | A Class Act

Excerpts:

10 characteristics of Generation Me
June 1, 2007 by Gary Schlee

".....2. Generation Self-Esteem — The guilt here lies primarily with the boomers, the folks who enshrined the concept of self-esteem into education and child-raising. Many schools have “specific programs to increase children’s self-esteem, most of which actually build self-importance and narcissism.” Kids need to feel good about themselves. Some educators don’t want to disturb that feeling by actually correcting mistakes in class. Inflated grades and independent spelling are two by-products of the self-esteem movement. When these bump against the reality of quality control at college or on the job, Generation Me is genuinely surprised — and who can blame them?

"3. Generation Entitlement — The cocoon of self-centredness has left young people feeling that they deserve everything right away. Interns expect positions where they’ll be given plenty of responsibility from the beginning. Earlier this week, a PR agency VP told me about her surprise at the lofty short-term ambitions of some of her staff. It’s tough to manage expectations of employees who have never encountered the quaint concept of ‘paying your dues’.

"4. Generation Thin-Skin — Generation Me doesn’t respond well to criticism. In many cases, it has never been part of their upbringing. They feel they can’t do wrong. So, when the boss rips into them about a half-effort on the job, they’re devastated. In the past, most people have complimented them on their efforts — no matter how shoddy or lazy those efforts might actually be. (You would think watching Donald Trump and Simon Cowell on reality TV would have prepared them!)......"

-Seems to sum up the Occupiers just right!!

And check out: Are millennials cut out for this job market? - CNN ,
Generation Me - NYTimes.com

Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
I'd say its millenials: 10 characteristics of Generation Me | A Class Act

Excerpts:

10 characteristics of Generation Me
June 1, 2007 by Gary Schlee

".....2. Generation Self-Esteem — The guilt here lies primarily with the boomers, the folks who enshrined the concept of self-esteem into education and child-raising. Many schools have “specific programs to increase children’s self-esteem, most of which actually build self-importance and narcissism.” Kids need to feel good about themselves. Some educators don’t want to disturb that feeling by actually correcting mistakes in class. Inflated grades and independent spelling are two by-products of the self-esteem movement. When these bump against the reality of quality control at college or on the job, Generation Me is genuinely surprised — and who can blame them?

"3. Generation Entitlement — The cocoon of self-centredness has left young people feeling that they deserve everything right away. Interns expect positions where they’ll be given plenty of responsibility from the beginning. Earlier this week, a PR agency VP told me about her surprise at the lofty short-term ambitions of some of her staff. It’s tough to manage expectations of employees who have never encountered the quaint concept of ‘paying your dues’.

"4. Generation Thin-Skin — Generation Me doesn’t respond well to criticism. In many cases, it has never been part of their upbringing. They feel they can’t do wrong. So, when the boss rips into them about a half-effort on the job, they’re devastated. In the past, most people have complimented them on their efforts — no matter how shoddy or lazy those efforts might actually be. (You would think watching Donald Trump and Simon Cowell on reality TV would have prepared them!)......"

-Seems to sum up the Occupiers just right!!

And check out: Are millennials cut out for this job market? - CNN ,
Generation Me - NYTimes.com
But yeah, every generation seems to blame the other. Like that old song says...

Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
But yeah, every generation seems to blame the other. Like that old song says...
You talkin' about those old British dudes singin' their rocks and rolls?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:

Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think worse is a strong word. i find them much kinder to animals than my own generation.
however, i think they are ill prepared when the plug is pulled and we do 1929 revisited, which is coming up pdq.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
We're not the ones destroying Earth for our own personal gain, and opting out of our legacy with "let the market decide".
Try again.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I'm afraid I just don't agree. There have been some great things achieved with far more to come from a bright group. show us what you got :-)

Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I dunno, but it seems like the kids born in the late 80's and early 90's are the most spoiled and entitled I have ever met in my life.
I disagree with the OP and I disagree with you.

There are factual studies showing that the kids born in the late 80s and early 90s have the lowest pregnancy rates ever, they are more compassionate and willing to give of their time than previous generations, they are more intelligent and possess a greater awareness of the world around them then previous generations as well.

Maybe you are just meeting the wrong kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies