Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times

Advertisements

Case of a 15 yr old Oxnard kid shooting a 14 year old gay schoolmate in the head in class, killing him. The suspect, now 16, pled out today, and got sentenced to 21 years.

A trial this past spring ended in a hung jury. Although the DA presented evidence of premeditation and anti-gay bias on the part of the suspect, the jury deadlocked. Some members stated they thought the suspect was too young to be tried as an adult.

At the trial, the defense strategy was "gay rage"- to blame the victim for goading the suspect into violence with his "excessive gayness" and flirtatious behavior.

Glad to see that sick, twisted, cynical defense failed utterly, and the poor victim got justice in this sad case.

In plea deal, youth gets 21 years for killing gay teen - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I remember this. I have to wonder what happened to just punching someone out when "rage" takes over.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Case of a 15 yr old Oxnard kid shooting a 14 year old gay schoolmate in the head in class, killing him. The suspect, now 16, pled out today, and got sentenced to 21 years.

A trial this past spring ended in a hung jury. Although the DA presented evidence of premeditation and anti-gay bias on the part of the suspect, the jury deadlocked. Some members stated they thought the suspect was too young to be tried as an adult.

At the trial, the defense strategy was "gay rage"- to blame the victim for goading the suspect into violence with his "excessive gayness" and flirtatious behavior.

Glad to see that sick, twisted, cynical defense failed utterly, and the poor victim got justice in this sad case.

In plea deal, youth gets 21 years for killing gay teen - latimes.com
Mixed feelings on this. Obviously it is a hate crime and a true tragedy I just automatically cringe any time a minor is convicted as an adult.

This was a very cold blooded crime, that is for sure. But I had read that this young man will end up serving more like 25 years. 25 years, for the immature, hormone-driven decisions of a 15 year old boy?

I'm not convinced it is right. I think something like 15 years would have been more appropriate.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Mixed feelings on this. Obviously it is a hate crime and a true tragedy I just automatically cringe any time a minor is convicted as an adult.

This was a very cold blooded crime, that is for sure. But I had read that this young man will end up serving more like 25 years. 25 years, for the immature, hormone-driven decisions of a 15 year old boy?

I'm not convinced it is right. I think something like 15 years would have been more appropriate.
Either way that's more than what the other kid will ever get to live. In any event, what a total, sad loss of two lives.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Either way that's more than what the other kid will ever get to live. In any event, what a total, sad loss of two lives.

Good point... I didn't think of it that way. It's is a good thing I am not a judge.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
21 years seems like a light sentence for premeditated murder, "gayness" has nothing to do with it. I suppose they removed life or the death penalty as part of the plea agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I remember this. I have to wonder what happened to just punching someone out when "rage" takes over.
I wonder if that is an unintended consequence of having "zero tolerance" for fighting in school? Kids, probably mostly boys, can't resolve differences with fists anymore without risking being expelled so maybe that frustration is now kept locked up like a pressure cooker until it explodes in a more extreme response than a fist fight.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
21 years seems like a light sentence for premeditated murder, "gayness" has nothing to do with it. I suppose they removed life or the death penalty as part of the plea agreement.

Brandon had a drug addict mother and a father who allegedly beat him.

The way he gunned down Larry in class absolutely disgusts and terrifies me. But Larry had been hitting on Brandon and embarrassing him. NOT blaming Larry for getting murdered at ALL, just saying I understand how Brandon was pushed over the edge by this. If he were an adult, there would be no excuse and I would want life in prison. But for a teenager who had already been through so much, I can't help but feel bad for him in spite of the horrible thing he did.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

A fourteen year old in the ground... that is what isn't right!. He will be where he belongs, not long enough in my opinion.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
A fourteen year old in the ground... that is what isn't right!. He will be where he belongs, not long enough in my opinion.

U r right, sçrew this kid for having the misfortune of being abandoned by a druggie mother and raised by an abusive father. Totally his fault that he ended up having issues.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 AM

we should lock up all abused kids just in case from now on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies