Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times

Advertisements

Get it done. The revenue generated would be huge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Squandered and misappropriated like every other revenue stream.

You want to give the government crooks more or do you naively believe it well lessen your tax burden?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
It will never be legal until all issuses have been looked at and solutions in place, laws will need to be changed and testing procedures will need to developed.
As far as the cartels are involved nothing will put them out of a multi billion dollar buisness, they will still here.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It will never be legal until all issuses have been looked at and solutions in place, laws will need to be changed and testing procedures will need to developed.
As far as the cartels are involved nothing will put them out of a multi billion dollar buisness, they will still here.
What are you talking about?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
What are you talking about?
You see thats part of the problem, If weed is legalized we need new laws regaurding workplace drug testing to avoid lawsuits, new testing procedures which show if a person is high at the time, possible DUI limits on a new test.
Where a person could smoke and where it would be outlawed.
It just can't be passed without these issues and many more adressed, if the government is going to regulate it the FDA must be involved, a tax structure must be designed, laws for regulation. The government is not going to allow you to grow it because they will want to make money, they will decide how many chemicals can be added just like with Smokes.

I don't see this happening for many years if any and to tell the truth I would rather keep the government out of it.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You see thats part of the problem, If weed is legalized we need new laws regaurding workplace drug testing to avoid lawsuits, new testing procedures which show if a person is high at the time, possible DUI limits on a new test.
Where a person could smoke and where it would be outlawed.
It just can't be passed without these issues and many more adressed, if the government is going to regulate it the FDA must be involved, a tax structure must be designed, laws for regulation. The government is not going to allow you to grow it because they will want to make money, they will decide how many chemicals can be added just like with Smokes.

I don't see this happening for many years if any and to tell the truth I would rather keep the government out of it.
Drug testing in the workplace is the biggest waste of money. You mean to tell me I can be a raging alcoholic, a coke-head who hasn't scored in a few days or a heroine addict who also has been clean for a day or 2 and then pass a drug test with flying colors?
But, the person that smokes weed occasionally will fail the same drug test as weed is stored in fat cells for up to 30 days. There is something clearly wrong about that.

Besides, why should work dictate a persons life. If a person is responsible and does their job well, why the hell should it matter what they do outside of work?
The Govt really would not have to implement new testing procedures to determine if a person is high. The Sobriety test would be effective. And I know people don't like to hear it, but smoking and driving is a lot safer than drinking and driving or texting and driving, not that I promote any of these things.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I'm going to vent a little here and go on a serious rant: Too much lately among friends and acquaintances in social events have I heard the statement "I am all for legalizing marijuana so that the government can tax it".

What exactly is the basis or reason for this statement? What's the logic behind this? When I ask people to explain why, they really don't have a real answer. Some say it's because we're $14 Trillion in debt and we need to find ways to pay it off. Here's my response:

1. The Government has no right to tell me what I can or cannot do with my own life and body. If I want to smoke pot, do hard drugs, I should be able to do so as long as I don't infringe upon the rights and liberties of someone else. Even if my decision is a bad one that leads to harmful health effects or even death...it is still my decision to make and I have to live with the consequences.

Counter argument to the statement: "But if you get in a car and drive while high you could kill someone and that's not fair to whoever you run over". That's fine, but you can prosecute those who do that after they've gotten into a vehicle while high or stoned or drunk. You can't punish me for something I might do. Everyone might commit a crime someday...should we lock everyone up just in case?

2. The Government has no right to take my money, it's not theirs, it's mine. The notion that some people I run into have is that the government has a right to our wealth. That's what we've been brainwashed to believe growing up in this nation. They don't have a right, the founding fathers didn't think England had a right to it, and for over a hundred years this nation operated just fine without collecting income tax.

3. Why do we need to tax it when the Government would be saving us billions a year by legalizing drugs? (yes us, you and me, government money is our money, government debt is our debt) The current "War on Drugs" costs tax payers over $1 Billion a year to fight and the illegal drug trade industry currently stands strong as a $100 Billion industry. Not only that, it costs the government (you and me) between $20,000-40,000 a year PER PRISONER to incarcerate someone for drug related charges. Considering there's roughly 30% of the current prison population in for drug related "offenses", think about how much you'd save in addition to the $1 Billion a year?

And there's people out there who think the government needs to TAX IT after all of that? I respect people's opinion and try to keep an open mind, but if you're going to preach approval for a government to take my money for no basis whatsoever then I take offense to it.

That's my rant, I'm done.

Most of the offenders in jail are there for non violent drug offenses, mainly marijuana.

So all of the tax dollars for jails, guards, police, military, etc would also be saved. No more tax dollars spent on prohibition, that would likely outweigh the gains made by taxing the actual product.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
i gotta disagree here. if it were legalized or decriminalized, everybody and their grandma would be growing the stuff, which would then go untaxed.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I agree in total.

I like smoking pot. There I said it. I am, according to some on this site, a right-wing crazy man. But I like a good puff once in a great while.

I enjoy it. I do not drive after smoking. I kick back and listen to tunes or watch a movie. Its not good for me, but I know that and am willing to pay the price.

And guess what? you like many other pot smokers are being responsible about your usage! Not EVERY single pot head is the stereotypical, unbathed, long haired, raggity clothed stoner who ends up "graduating" to hard core drugs like heroin, or meth! People need to stop buying into the "Reefer Madness" crap, and the other propaganda that goes along with it!

I haven't been through the whole thread yet, but que the typical authoritarian responses "it's bad, therefore I don't want you to do it, because I don't like it!"

Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Drug testing in the workplace is the biggest waste of money. You mean to tell me I can be a raging alcoholic, a coke-head who hasn't scored in a few days or a heroine addict who also has been clean for a day or 2 and then pass a drug test with flying colors?
But, the person that smokes weed occasionally will fail the same drug test as weed is stored in fat cells for up to 30 days. There is something clearly wrong about that.

Besides, why should work dictate a persons life. If a person is responsible and does their job well, why the hell should it matter what they do outside of work?
The Govt really would not have to implement new testing procedures to determine if a person is high. The Sobriety test would be effective. And I know people don't like to hear it, but smoking and driving is a lot safer than drinking and driving or texting and driving, not that I promote any of these things.

I agree! It's always the potheads that get popped on a p*** test! Which is why I think drug testing for that reason alone is flawed, because someone could blow lines on a Friday, and pass a test on Tuesday. Yet coke is 1,000 more dangerous than marijuana! If I'm an employer I'd rather have a pot smoker than a raging drunk, or some coke head working for me! Then again, if you're not under the influence, on my time, and it doesn't effect your work, then I'm inclined not to give a s*** what you do on your own time, as long as you don't harm somebody in the process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies