Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Before we cut any defense spending (outside of obvious waste), we should end foreign aid. How do we justify reducing our defense while helping out others? The protection of Americans is paramount. Helping other countries is not even secondary.

Cant argue with that. I heve never borrowed money only to give it away.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
That would depend on who you ask. Me, I think no more then $10k per person. Some will think Im crazy, some will think Im still feeding the pig.
We need to feed the pig - but the pig needs to consume a balanced diet. The pig's appetite is way too big right now - and it's currently bloated out of it's mind.

I think there is an optimal taxable rate that can be enforced that allows for maximum productivity. If taxes are too high, people will not be motivated to work and produce. If taxes are too low, then not enough will be collected.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
We need to feed the pig - but the pig needs to consume a balanced diet. The pig's appetite is way too big right now - and it's currently bloated out of it's mind.

I think there is an optimal taxable rate that can be enforced that allows for maximum productivity. If taxes are too high, people will not be motivated to work and produce. If taxes are too low, then not enough will be collected.

Thats not true though. Tax rates during WWII were upwards of 91%, and we were at our most productive.

American workers are still more productive then most of those around the world. Its not about how productive we are, its about what do we really need as a country.

Can tax rates be to high to hurt business growth, without question. Can tax rates be to low (with tax loopholes most likely) so that we can't supply everything that the people want, without question also.

But that number fluctuates, its not a set in stone "can't top this number" kind of problem.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Germany, South Korea, Japan, Turkey, Spain, Africa, etc.

The answer is a big fat, no.

No major country would invade a US ally, it just isn't going to happen. They'd lose, handily.
What if THEY want us there? And they foot some of the bill?

Actually I think it would lower the risk for an enemy to attack one of our friends if we were not there.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Quote:
From there move to weapons systems we will likely never use.

Then on to subsidies.

And there is always fraud
Who will make up the taxes from the people that lost their jobs making weapon systems? Who will pay for their social programs? How many rich will we lose when the stock price of those companies drops? When we cut back on military, who will pay for the ex soldiers? We have to rebuild our military. We just need better oversight.

The democrats always say the rich should pay their "fair share". They are already paying most of the taxes. What is their fair share? Why are the words "fair share" never mentioned on the bottom 50%? They take and contribute nothing.

Get knocked up in high school, drop out, and we we take care of you.
Save, invest, start a business, create jobs, and we will penalize you.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
What if THEY want us there? And they foot some of the bill?

Actually I think it would lower the risk for an enemy to attack one of our friends if we were not there.

Now we are talking about collecting tribute for protection, which would make us a true empire would it not?

We shouldn't leave any allies without protection, but no one is going to invade our allies. Its why Israel is still there.

I couldn't support an American empire, just couldn't do it.

Yes, in some locations it would likely lead to them being less likely to be attacked. In the very least it would require them to buy arms themselves, which is good for us since we are the largest military supplier in the world.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
WE can cut spending across the board.
The bottom line is there are few too many real wealthy to amount too much at all. If ya cant convince these clowns to close the checkbook, then they will just be coming after more of your money.

So what if the pool showed 55% of Americans favored raising taxes on anyone making more then $15k less then you do and raising them a lot. Still think we shoulc?

Hi waterboy7375

If you are talking about the bail out spending I am with you. However if you are talking about infrastructure spending, not so much. We have a monetary problem. We are at debt saturation and we have a predatory banking system. Monetary solutions don't cover real problem like oil embargoes. However when its a monetary problem, you need a monetary solution. If we don't rebalance the wage labor with the inflated land values, there will never be a balanced budget because the muscle and bone of the economy will shrink with the budget.

Bottom line is we need those give aways back and we need to force the mega-banks into receiver status.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Who will make up the taxes from the people that lost their jobs making weapon systems? Who will pay for their social programs? How many rich will we lose when the stock price of those companies drops? When we cut back on military, who will pay for the ex soldiers? We have to rebuild our military. We just need better oversight.

The democrats always say the rich should pay their "fair share". They are already paying most of the taxes. What is their fair share? Why are the words "fair share" never mentioned on the bottom 50%? They take and contribute nothing.

Get knocked up in high school, drop out, and we we take care of you.
Save, invest, start a business, create jobs, and we will penalize you.
Wow, who knew that 50% of americans got knocked up in high school and dropped out. Where do those facts come from? I know the extreme right wing will tell you that 50% of america is just crack heads, with 10 babies, living off welfare and food stamps.

The fact is that less than 10% drop out of high school. While that is certainly still too high. It comes no where near to 50%. I am starting to wonder who is smoking the crack pipe.

Fast Facts

Old 11-22-2011, 04:22 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm in my 30s, have an income close to top 5% (not there right now), and trust me, I won't feel the pinch of my income taxes going up by 4-5%. This country could use that more than I need to.
]
I'm sure they would send you a nice thank you note for you donation!
Send them a check !!!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
......The democrats always say the rich should pay their "fair share". They are already paying most of the taxes. ......
......Save, invest, start a business, create jobs, and we will penalize you.
To my mind, the rich or wealthy people are not small business owners, nor are they even the highest paid CEOs who work for a living. They're people who don't need to work, because they can live off the interest generated by their assets - trustfunders and the like. A few billionaires made their pile through hard work plus luck (the current top 3) but most of them inherited it.

Inheritance taxes should be greatly increased, and capital gains on stocks (which are basically gambling). The unearned income from assets inherited should be increased.

Also tax loopholes for corporate deadbeats such as GE should be eliminated.

To dream
The impossible dream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies