Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:50 PM

45,746 posts, read 27,374,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Extreme thinking. Do they work?
Doesn't matter. Someone needs the money. Give it to them. You have the resources.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:50 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,442,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Question - Why not go after tax regulations and close the loopholes instead of getting the government to take other people's money? You would have my support on this.

However, I can not support going after other people's money just they have it. It is no different than a burglar targeting a rich neighborhood to break into their homes.

Thats what the majority of Americans demand. Now can we say "if we lower the rate but end this subsidy, end this loophole, and end this give away, and still have a revenue increase to make up and save the programs you want," I think most people would go along with this.

These polls are worded in a very simple way to get a simple response. Now if you asked those polled "what do you mean by taxing the rich", you'd probably get a very different answer from each person.

But the guide rails are there, and there are ways for the GOP and those like you (me to actually) who think that enough money is taxed at the current rate, its the loopholes and write offs that lowers the rates to a level where they aren't enough to pay for the programs we demand.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Actualy I dont give a damn about people making over 1 million a yr.
Im concerned with people making $150,000- $850,000 as that is my customer base.
I am in a luxury industry. No one needs what I sell. They want it, but they certainly dont need it.
When the gvmt takes away disposable income from my customer base, these people are not going to stop vacationing , dining out, or any of a number of things that make their wives happy. They are going to stop spending money on things their wives and kids dont give a damn about.
Despite your role, you don't seem to have a good grasp of "luxury industry" and the customers who belong there. Do you seriously believe that these customers, who don't "need" just "want" the product you sell, are doing so because they have a top marginal rate that is lower by 3-4%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Doesn't matter. Someone needs the money. Give it to them. You have the resources.
No, that is why I questioned your extreme thinking. Think logically and you will get the point.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:52 PM

And look Romney just said in NH that we shouldn't cut any military spending.

Losing message.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,487,140 times
Just because the public may demand a program dosnt make it a good idea.
each item , in each dept with a fine tooth comb.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,351,265 times
Quote:
I'm in my 30s, have an income close to top 5% (not there right now), and trust me, I won't feel the pinch of my income taxes going up by 4-5%. This country could use that more than I need to.

The problem with your philosophy isn't raising taxes just another 4%, it's that no matter how much they raise taxes the government will always want/need more, more, more.

Until the government is held accountable for keeping within a budget of already allocated "revenue", then I can't support any initiative to raise taxes.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And look Romney just said in NH that we shouldn't cut any military spending.

Losing message.

Romney is a fool.just like Bush and just like Obama. In fact Romney is king george the 3rd.

31,767 posts, read 28,876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
The problem with your philosophy isn't raising taxes just another 4%, it's that no matter how much they raise taxes the government will always want/need more, more, more.

Until the government is held accountable for keeping within a budget of already allocated "revenue", then I can't support any initiative to raise taxes.
Why not do both? Thinking one way or the other is the problem. And if you don't want to do both, then you're a part of that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Just because the public may demand a program dosnt make it a good idea.
each item , in each dept with a fine tooth comb.

Government where the few rule the many - Oligarchy

You want to live there, move there. I live in what is supposed to be a representative democracy.

The same people who scream constitution, and "the people say" when the TEA party is on the march suddenly turn polar opposite when it is contradictory to their position.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Despite your role, you don't seem to have a good grasp of "luxury industry" and the customers who belong there. Do you seriously believe that these customers, who don't "need" just "want" the product you sell, are doing so because they have a top marginal rate that is lower by 3-4%?

No they are buying it because they can afford it without it cutting into their other expenses, desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies