Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the F-word be legalized in the media..?
YES,it should be legalized... 46 58.97%
NO,it should continue to be penalized... 32 41.03%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times

Advertisements

I voted NO but in reality who cares ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Chopper Reid's Safety Instructions - YouTube
If the FCC did allow Swearing on US TV you could have a show alot like this Aussie TV Comedy Show for an Example...

(Warning: Uses swear words do not click if your are easily offended..)

Old 11-24-2011, 01:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
It is a good wy to judge the ability of a speaker to make his point without resorting to it

Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
It's just a f**king word.

See what I did there?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
To be able to use the phrase "The F Word" or "The N Word" is as bad, if not worse, than just saying it.
Years ago, I objected pretty strongly. I've become used to it.

In some cases, it's 'every other word' out of a persons mouth .
I have asked my BIL if he had a dictionary that only went to F

That is bad, but no worse than if they use any other word to excess.
Think of how annoying it would be if the word 'damn' was used 20 times in the same sentence.....if every adverb and adjective a person used was supplanted by 'damn'.

I do view it's overuse by a person as indicative of how limited their vocabulary is and how, and how often, it was used would definately influence how I viewed that person and their intelligence.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 AM

488 posts, read 554,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
I see that in America the most popular( & light) curse,the F-word. is banned in the media.
I think that there is a gov agency which fines violators...
What about the 1st Amendment..?
Burning the flag is "free speech ",but using the F-word leads to penalties..?
Has anybody thought of taking the issue to the Supreme Court..?
Should the F-word be "legalised " ..?
I say yes. I know that parents will be concerned their children will hear these naughty words, but it is on the parents to control what their children watch. There is plenty of technology to block programs based on their ratings. If people are offended by a program that uses the word then they will not watch it and the show will go off their air. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It is a good wy to judge the ability of a speaker to make his point without resorting to it
Not necessarily. Swear words can be used just as poetically, subtly, and artfully as any other words of the language. You're right, you can judge a speaker by how they use their words, but swear words are no exception. Swearing can be used in a stylistic way to convey a flavor of meaning that can't be achieved without the swear word.

Compare:

"Absolutely!"

with

"Abso-f&cking-lutely!"

or even the humorous exclamation:

"Hogwash!"

with

"Horsesh.t!"

The last two options leave much more vivid, memorable impressions on the mind that the first two words cannot muster because they lack the oomph that swear words give. Swear words are like the spices of a language--they give a bland dish flavor and a nice kick for more enjoyable consumption.

Of course, there is a when and a where for swearing, along with everywhere else, but there are plenty of situations on T.V. where swearing would not only be appropriate but favorable to a show. Speaking appropriately is all about audience, and there are plenty of people who are in favor of hearing the real thing because they want TV that feels like real life and people use those words in real life. It wouldn't have to be on every channel, and there could always be channels that maintain their own policy of censorship, but for the audiences that want to hear swearing and for the channels that want to cater to that audience, that option should be available.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The "F" being used in the media I don't care. But for a politician or any government official to use it is unacceptable. It's part of uncouth behavior. Now granted, I don't have a problem with people using the word. I use it when I am extremely frustrated or angry. But those who use it often as apart of their normal vocabulary are just showing uncivilized behavior imo.
Context also plays a big role. Obama saying "f.ck" during a private gathering with family and friends and Obama saying "f.ck" during the presidential debates would be two different scenarios entirely. In the first case, no one would or should care, and in the latter case, it would be in poor taste. Speech is not only specific to who says it, but also to who hears it and in what context it is said.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
civility manners and etiquitte have taken a nose dive, we dont need to continue to gangsterize america. K12 is being used to social engineer. and they are creating something very ugly.
Civility, manners, and etiquette aren't about never using the F word. They're about knowing when it's okay to use it and when it's not okay to use it.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Damn. Surprised how many supporters there are. I use it here and there, but not particularly proud of it. It just happens and I think it sounds uneducated. And who really wants their 10 year old saying it. Sure its just a word, we "should" be able to say it, but do we really want everyone to walk around spewing it all the time, from little kids to professional adults? There is a time we need to stop saying "ITS MY RIGHT!" and be a bit civilized.

Can you just imagine going into a deal with a professional and them just saying, "F**CK YOUR CONTRACT!" like its no big deal.
You can have your rights AND be civilized at the same time. Just because people don't know when and how to use the word appropriately doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the word itself. A contractor saying "f&ck your contract!" would be in poor taste because they would drive away business. But if no one cares and no one is offended, what does it matter? What's wrong with saying "that was f&cking awesome" to a friend you just had a great time with who doesn't mind the word "f&ck" and uses it from time to time? Or even "I f&cking love you" when your best friend has just done or said something you find hilarious? What's wrong with portraying that scenario on TV?

People need to get over making everything black and white. Just because something is inappropriate sometimes doesn't mean it's inappropriate all the time. And for that matter, any word can be used appropriately or even inappropriately. Even formality can be used excessively to indicate disdain or outright hostility as in "Sir we are about to call security" or a "yes MA'AM" laced heavily with sarcasm and coupled with and eye roll. Should we ban those words too just because they can be used inappropriately and contemptuously? Or should we just realize that words can be used in all kinds of ways and there is no way to regulate the intent behind the word by regulating the word itself?

People need to really think more in depth about how language is used before they go about trying to regulate it. The same word can mean a million different things, and a million words can mean the same thing, all based on the context, the speakers, the tone of voice, the body language, and the actions that accompany those words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies