Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
People tend to get more conservative with age, not more Liberal.
Actually people's political leanings tend to solidify around age 30, largely having to do with who was in charge when they first became politically aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-eta View Post
what is a "straw mans" ?
I think he meant straw man and this is a prime example

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Because liberalism isn't focused on reality.

Liberal: We need a public option.

Libertarian: How do you intend we pay for it?

Liberal: Pay? It's free.

Libertarian: Someone has to bear the cost of the services.

Liberal: You're racist!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 PM

267 posts, read 175,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Actually people's political leanings tend to solidify around age 30, largely having to do with who was in charge when they first became politically aware.
Well, I am a late commer. At about age 63, I discovered what a liberal was. Never, never, never will be one or think like one. Never have. I have always been 'conservative', level headed, practical, saver, not spending. Obama is in charge and I can't tell you how upset I am with what he is doing to this country. i would have to disagree with your statement.
Liberals are always liberals, they would be the 'party hearty' type; Tats, pink hair, love everyone, (and do) hint. They are an entitled group, and self centered. Spend and don't care who has to pick up the tab, as long as it is what THEY WANT. I think of liberals, as children, and the conservatives have to be the parent. I have really come to know the liberals. LOL

Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
This thread exemplifies why I will never identify as a 'conservative. I pay my own way, save my money, support myself and paid my own way through school. But the ignorance and attitude expressed by most conservatives keeps me at arms length.

Conservatives lose arguments, liberals lose arguments. No one 'side' has a monopoly during debates.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This thread exemplifies why I will never identify as a 'conservative. I pay my own way, save my money, support myself and paid my own way through school. But the ignorance and attitude expressed by most conservatives keeps me at arms length.

Conservatives lose arguments, liberals lose arguments. No one 'side' has a monopoly during debates.
Not really

Conservatives seem to always have the edge on forum discussions 7/10 times. I see it on here all the time. They find some way to twist their argument to defeat their opponents.

They are good at straw mans.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Not really

Conservatives seem to always have the edge on forum discussions 7/10 times. I see it on here all the time. They find some way to twist their argument to defeat their opponents.

Most liberals fall for it hook line and sinker.

It takes an experienced debater to squash that tactic.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Not really

Using a strawman is by definition an invalid debating tactic. An argument that rests on a strawman is not a winner.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Because liberalism isn't focused on reality.

Liberal: We need a public option.

Libertarian: How do you intend we pay for it?

Liberal: Pay? It's free.

Libertarian: Someone has to bear the cost of the services.

Liberal: You're racist!
That is without a doubt the best example of a liberals way of thinking I have seen in a long time! Rep point for you

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Is it that their arguments are more valid, or that they are better at using straw mans?
Why do you insert subjective opinions into non-factual threads?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:19 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
'I've been working my ass off for 12yrs and I'm doing worse than i was in 1992' then they turn against the Republican party.
No, the difference is a conservative would realize he needed to do something else, went back to school, started over and succeeded in something that he was more successful at. The liberal on the other hand will live like that the rest of his or her life complaining about people who changed and became successful and blaming corporations and others for his or her situation. Sounds like our OWS folks and maybe someone else we know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies