Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following types of murder deserve the Death Penalty..?
NO Death Penalty at all,for any type of murder... 22 38.60%
ALL types of 1st degree murder ( no mitigating circumstances)... 20 35.09%
Murder of minor ( younger than 18) 18 31.58%
Murder of elderly ( over 65) 17 29.82%
Murder of pregnant 18 31.58%
Murder of more than 1 person 19 33.33%
Murder while robbery 15 26.32%
Kidnapping & murder 17 29.82%
Murder with torture ( including rape...) 22 38.60%
Murder for money ( to acquire money) 17 29.82%
Murder while incarcerated 14 24.56%
Murder of elected official 11 19.30%
Murder for political,religious purposes( "terrorism") 16 28.07%
Murder of clergy of recognised faith 12 21.05%
Kidnapping,resulting in loss of life... 15 26.32%
Murder while taking hostages ( "highjacking") 18 31.58%
Premeditated,organised murder... 19 33.33%
Murder of police officer,judge,military personnel 14 24.56%
Treason,resulting in loss of life 16 28.07%
Hiring another killer to commit murder 17 29.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:05 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am in favor of the DP in some cases. but when convicted and sentenced to the DP, an appeal is needed. every piece of information should be looked at, and forcible DNA taken from the convicted person on death row. after it all said and done, if the DP is upheld, he should be taken out back after a last meal and hung by the neck like the dog they are.
Well at least you believe in the appeal process but why do you believe in the death penalty. What does it accomplish or than murder? Do we hang dogs in this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Do we hang dogs in this country?

No, we put them down when they have been proven to be nothing but a danger to society.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
I think that at some point in time, it becomes the duty of a society to protect the members of it's society...especially the young, the elderly, and others who are unable to protect themselves...from those who would cause them harm.

The DEATH PENALTY helps to achieve that goal by insuring that one specific animal will never be unleashed on the population again.

Those who are against the death penalty generally have never had a loved one taken from them in a horrible way...murdered for no reason other than the whim of a killer.

There are people in prison right now who deserve to duie for their crime....yet we continue to pay to feed and house them, and to provide medical treatment for them...even give them free education. Some even get conjugal visits...Ted Bundy even fathered a child while on death row.

We must realize that there are some individuals who do not deserve to live in our society OR to be supported by our tax dollars so they can live in relative comfort considering their crimes. These people should be treated like a rabid animal...because in the end, that is what they are. It is a hard line, but we sometimes need to make hard choices to insure a safe environment for those who are unable to protect themselves.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
No, we put them down when they have been proven to be nothing but a danger to society.
Should we not treat people betten than dogs. Are we not civilized?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I think that at some point in time, it becomes the duty of a society to protect the members of it's society...especially the young, the elderly, and others who are unable to protect themselves...from those who would cause them harm.

The DEATH PENALTY helps to achieve that goal by insuring that one specific animal will never be unleashed on the population again.

Those who are against the death penalty generally have never had a loved one taken from them in a horrible way...murdered for no reason other than the whim of a killer.

There are people in prison right now who deserve to duie for their crime....yet we continue to pay to feed and house them, and to provide medical treatment for them...even give them free education. Some even get conjugal visits...Ted Bundy even fathered a child while on death row.

We must realize that there are some individuals who do not deserve to live in our society OR to be supported by our tax dollars so they can live in relative comfort considering their crimes. These people should be treated like a rabid animal...because in the end, that is what they are. It is a hard line, but we sometimes need to make hard choices to insure a safe environment for those who are unable to protect themselves.
Life without possibility of parole solves the problem of not releasing back into society. Your other argument is revenge. Revenge is not justification for murder.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:15 AM

They are not people , they are animals and should be treated as such.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Should we not treat people betten than dogs. Are we not civilized?
You could actually turn this around and argue that a dog can't help itself, it's a freakin' dog, whereas humans are capable of reason and logic.

To answer the OP, I'm against capital punishment (always a chance you get the wrong guy) but I'd say only for first-degree murder, serial murder, and mass murder.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
They are not people , they are animals and should be treated as such.

And, if my daughter was killed, and I murdered the man who murdered my daughter, that would make me an animal?

If I witnessed a man raping a young boy in the shower and I bashed his head into the wall, killing him, would that make me an animal?

If I were a battered woman, and my husband beat me repeatedly, trapping me, and the only way I can get out is by killing him, would that make me an animal?

The Death Penalty should be on a case by case basis, only. To suggest any other all encompassing answer beyond that is, well, suggesting you know the future.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:35 PM

No they wouldnt. They are not first degree murder charges. If you murdered your daughters killer I would consider it a public service . Hell I would even give ya a tax credit for it.

No one is sitting on death row for manslaughter charges.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:35 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Agree with a few other posters, any killing that is not justifiable homicide (i.e. self defense, defense of another) is reprehensible and should always be punished on scale with the crime.

Things that particularly irk me, though, are killings of those that may not be able to defend themselves- pregnant women, children, elderly/disabled... and any murder involving rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies