Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
 
69,368 posts, read 63,850,368 times
Reputation: 9383

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
FDR also created work programs which saved families from starving. Plenty of people in the 30s knew that. Social Security also proved popular as it lifted many elderly out of poverty, and prevented even more from becoming poor.
Really? Then why are so many of them living in poverty? Social Security probably created far more poverty than you could ever imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,792 posts, read 13,878,530 times
Reputation: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because when government is giving you a check to stay out of work, do you really want to vote the check away?
Except that most voters didn't get checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Really? Then why are so many of them living in poverty? Social Security probably created far more poverty than you could ever imagine.
Is that sarcastic? If not, it should be. In the 1930s, most seniors were living below the poverty line. That's not true today and the reason is SSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,793 posts, read 5,628,825 times
Reputation: 5660
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Conservatives love to talk about how bad of a president FDR was when it is a fact that the country loved him in the 1930s to the point they elected him 4 times.
Not bashing FDR here but it should be obvious.
HE GAVE MONEY To those WHO DID NOT HAVE MUCH! so in return, they voted for him..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
44,916 posts, read 59,905,934 times
Reputation: 60449
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Conservatives love to talk about how bad of a president FDR was when it is a fact that the country loved him in the 1930s to the point they elected him 4 times.


To understand the 4 terms of Roosevelt you really have to break up the 4 terms into Great Depression terms and WW II terms. While unemployment stayed high even with the New Deal policies it was better than it had been. That sort of explains the 1st two terms. With the 1940 election Roosevelt faced Wendell Wilkie a businessman who Roosevelt campaigned against using the inexperience label.

With Europe already at war and Japan having moved into China several years earlier and fortifying various Pacific islands Roosevelt asked the electorate whether it would be better to have an experienced President (even though he was breaking the two term tradition) or an inexperienced political novice.

For the 1944 election the refrain was basically "you don't change horses in the middle of the stream". The US electorate has been hesitant to, and never has, defeated an incumbent President during wartime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
 
13,676 posts, read 8,942,167 times
Reputation: 10382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
FDR was elected four times because he actually tried to do something about unemployment. No, unemployment didn't drop to pre-crash levels until the War, but it dropped through most of the 30s (I think the recession of 1937 was the exception). And while the New Deal didn't end the depression, it certainly didn't get worse, which it likely would have had FDR done nothing.

FDR also created work programs which saved families from starving. Plenty of people in the 30s knew that. Social Security also proved popular as it lifted many elderly out of poverty, and prevented even more from becoming poor.

He also, like Reagan, projected a confidence in the American people and from that, and optimism that everything would be okay, that things would work out in the end. His friends, family and acquaintences can all vouch for that character trait, which people find attractive in a leader.

The man was one of the greatest men we ever had in the oval office. I know most Republicans hate the man and would disagree, but they're wrong. He was far, far from perfect, and I certainly don't agree with everything he did, but for the times, he did a good job with what was handed to him, and honestly, if the people elected him four times, they must have seen some improvement themselves.
I tend to agree. I believe FDR was a great president. I do not wish to call those who voted for him, like my mother, 'stupid liberals' or other names. The voters back in those days were given hope by President Roosevelt.

Here in Fort Worth I daily drive on Camp Bowie Boulevard, which was bricked over by workers of the CCC. Much of the original brickwork is still standing (or, laying, as you will). Other main streets were likewise improved by the CCC.

The CCC was a great idea. It was a way to improve the infrastructure of the US, as well as giving us some great lodges in national parks, all while giving unemployed men and woman much needed work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,792 posts, read 13,878,530 times
Reputation: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The US electorate has been hesitant to, and never has, defeated an incumbent President during wartime.
Footnote: LBJ decided not to seek re-election because it was clear that he would have lost the Dem primary due to the unpopularity of the Vietnam War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,792 posts, read 13,878,530 times
Reputation: 5661
FDR is rated first, second or third best president, depending upon source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,420 posts, read 10,771,892 times
Reputation: 7800
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Conservatives love to talk about how bad of a president FDR was when it is a fact that the country loved him in the 1930s to the point they elected him 4 times.
You can fool some of the people all of the time...you can fool all of the people some of the time...but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
44,916 posts, read 59,905,934 times
Reputation: 60449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Footnote: LBJ decided not to seek re-election because it was clear that he would have lost the Dem primary due to the unpopularity of the Vietnam War.

Maybe. What pushed him out wasn't losing a primary (New Hampshire) but McCarthy doing better than expected. That was what pushed Bobby Kennedy into running and forced LBJ out (I forget the order there and don't feel like looking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,890 posts, read 18,687,339 times
Reputation: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Only an idiot believes the political propaganda that he prolonged the Great Depression. People living thru the times, obviously, knew better.
Yeah, those idiots at UCLA!

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate / UCLA Newsroom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top