Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,663,851 times

Advertisements

Lol, I think you mean error instead of err. You link provides nothing to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM

29,893 posts, read 18,437,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Conservatives love to talk about how bad of a president FDR was when it is a fact that the country loved him in the 1930s to the point they elected him 4 times.

The Keynesian model of federal spending had never been attempted before in US history. Given that the electorate did not have the historical background of repeated failure, as we do now, they were probably willing to give his policies a good try. Now we know better.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:13 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,267,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The Keynesian model of federal spending had never been attempted before in US history. Given that the electorate did not have the historical background of repeated failure, as we do now, they were probably willing to give his policies a good try. Now we know better.

The model of deregulation and tax cuts hasn't given us any jobs either.

Before you try and refute that, we have a lower overall tax rate then at anytime in our history AND the unemployment rate is above 9%.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:19 PM

37,942 posts, read 17,689,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If you really want background on the "FDR prolonged the Depression" revisionist history, just go up to "search" click "Advanced" put in MTAtech and in the subject put "FDR" also click "posts" radio button. I've got lots of stuff posted starting in June 2011.

The basics are that there were a few economists who made that claim but they fudged the data to have it "prove" what they wanted. It's a discredited meme.
No reason to do that. Why would anyone want to get bad information about FDR and the longest depression this country has ever had.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Now why do you want people to use common sense?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,121,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Conservatives love to talk about how bad of a president FDR was when it is a fact that the country loved him in the 1930s to the point they elected him 4 times.

even though FDR was elected 4 times, his unemployment rate kept going up and up until WWII started. After WWII started, he led on the premise of what bush did. let me fight the war and get it over with on my watch.

If WWII would have never happened, then I believe that FDR would have never seen a 3rd term.

also, FDR was a facist thug that wanted no more than a dictatorship, as he was the only potus to get elected to office 4 times, rather than the tradional 2.

If George Washington could turn down being offered king and only served as potus for 2 terms, then FDR should have stepped aside for someone else after his 2nd term was over.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,076,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Now why do you want people to use common sense?
What's common sense about economics via crystal ball?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,836,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
even though FDR was elected 4 times, his unemployment rate kept going up and up until WWII started. After WWII started, he led on the premise of what bush did. let me fight the war and get it over with on my watch.
Not quite. It didn't go up and up; but it did not go lower than around 15%. I do agree that without WWII we would not have seen the recovery that we did.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,121,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Not quite. It didn't go up and up; but it did not go lower than around 15%. I do agree that without WWII we would not have seen the recovery that we did.

my mother and father lived during the depression, the only figures they had from that time was that unemployment was going up and up.

remember not to include any federal employment with calculations, as goverment does not produce anything at all. only the private sector can produce, goverment does nothing but take take and still more taking.

civilian conversation corp was all goverment, so those numbers should not be counted at all.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Austrian economics is an ideology, and solely for ideologues. Never implemented in a society with proper government, never will be.
sigh.... look at Mises work in Austria in the early 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies