Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Attempting to tell untruths, and change history doesn't make it so.

Ross Perot warned this nation that NAFTA, (signed into law by President Clinton), would start that sucking noise of jobs leaving the country.

Add to that Union insanity, making demands that has already put more than one company out of business, and raising costs to the point that to make money the companies HAD to move the jobs out of the country.

And the coup de grace, the raising of the minimum wage in 2006, a bill forced on Bush, that took the problems we were having and turned it into a landslide.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoaaaaaa!!! I just caught this one. This is a doosie!

So Clinton willingly signed NAFTA....

but the minimum wage law was "a bill forced on Bush?"

Oh man...can't believe that i missed that little gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess you are wrong, I have been a freelancer for many years.
Just an observation. A "Freelancer" would be different than a business owner, who is responsible to the business AND his/her employees.

A business owner doesn't want to hire someone, only to tell them later, sorry, I can't keep you because of all the regulations/costs etc etc. People who work for others are doing so, because they NEED an income to survive. Business owners, (at least the ones I know), do not want to tell an employee that they are about to lose their income because of new policies they are subject to yada yada yada.

It's even worse for a business owner, because most would like to see their business grow and expand, and if they cannot because of economic factors directly associated with the policies of the government, then we aren't growing jobs and our economy, and we need to take a look at resolving that so we can move forward.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Here I could easily switch my status into a conventional business owner and hire people, if I wanted to, but I have no interest in that. Currently I am a businessman in my own name, and I am happy with my one-man business, I don't want to grow.
That whole growthmania is part of the problems we are facing around the globe.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoaaaaaa!!! I just caught this one. This is a doosie!

So Clinton willingly signed NAFTA....

but the minimum wage law was "a bill forced on Bush?"

Oh man...can't believe that i missed that little gem.
Yes, Submitted by democratic majority in congress
Quote:
  • May 25, 2007
President Bush signed a long-awaited minimum wage increase into law May 25, a day after the U.S. House of Representatives voted 348 to 73 to approve the first increase in a decade. The measure was attached to Iraq and Afghanistan war spending bill. The federal minimum wage will rise from $5.15 to $7.25 in three stages over two years.
President bush was forced to accept the minimum wage increase to be able fund the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now, on to NAFTA. . .

Signed in 1992 by Clinton, submitted to him by the Democratic majority in both congress and senate.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:39 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Riddle me this: Did Obama promise to turn the economy around when he ran for President? Hint: YES.

Now Riddle me this: Did he? Hint: HELL NO.
Job loss/growth, private sector:

Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
It makes sense. They can't hire because of Obama, they might as well wait til the man is gone, and the economy gets back on it's feet. Why is that stupid?
Imagine for a second that this fellow's clientele sees his truck, thinks that he's an upstanding fellow that they want to do business with and start placing orders. He can't expand, can he? So he's forced to either turn away business or break the promise that brought in the business in the first place.

Why would anyone non-stupid place their business in that position?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Yes, Submitted by democratic majority in congress President bush was forced to accept the minimum wage increase to be able fund the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now, on to NAFTA. . .

Signed in 1992 by Clinton, submitted to him by the Democratic majority in both congress and senate.
Both Mexico and Canada are among the US' three biggest trading partners, both with imports and exports, so obviously NAFTA makes sense for all countries involved.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Here I could easily switch my status into a conventional business owner and hire people, if I wanted to, but I have no interest in that. Currently I am a businessman in my own name, and I am happy with my one-man business, I don't want to grow.
That whole growthmania is part of the problems we are facing around the globe.
I'll use you as Exhibit A. I applaud your honesty, and why not do it alone if you can. This is why the argument that only small businesses can add jobs is just bogus. They add jobs for many reasons, and taxes are just one of them. Government expenditures, in contrast, usually directly support many middle class jobs. So, axing the government to cut a private business person's taxes will usually not increase employment. It might, but there is absolutely no guarantee.

p.s. I agree that growthmania is a disease of the West. We cannot keep growing infinitely on a finite planet without trashing it or cannibalizing our own society.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Yes, Submitted by democratic majority in congress President bush was forced to accept the minimum wage increase to be able fund the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The bill passed by a large majority of both democrats and republicans, the funding was for contractors and troops, Katrina recovery. Even if it didn't pass spending would have continured at current levels he could have vetoed it as he did with a prior bill. Many states already had a minimum wage of $7.25, to state that it was "forced" is an overstatement.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 AM

98 posts, read 208,008 times
A company that bases its financial well-being on the 2012 elections and a single person , rather than customer demand and market forces. This company won't be in business very long as they seem to be unaware of how business works.

Hopefully, customers that are also Obama supporters, will boycott this business to make its failure even more certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies