Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,507,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I know what you mean...that totally stinks. I'm now visiting family members who both work retail jobs and have to be to work at 5:00 p.m. today. Early dinner, and they are sleeping right now and I can't spend time with them.
Tell to try working in a hospital. I'll be sleeping while Thanksgiving dinner is served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
I love Thanksgiving and don't care for Black Friday. Maybe when I'm older I'll like it, but right now I don't. It's all "oh look, this $1000 TV is now $500!" Great! Except I still can't afford it, and even if I could afford it, I don't need a new TV!!!!

Now, put Skyrim up for $20....

Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 AM

17,396 posts, read 11,963,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm a little soured on Thanksgiving this year. I have quite a few family members who won't be at our table this year because they work....in retail. They have to sleep today in order to get up and get to work by midnight to serve the people who simply cannot wait til 5am to shop.
They should be thankful they have a job.

Why can't the "table" work around their schedules? My family is in law enforcement and fire, and we work around their schedule.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,946,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And isn't it wonderful that we can enjoy the traditional dinner (many can't) and we can watch football. Just the traditions and the family gathering makes it special for many of us. Yes, black Friday is fun as well, but in a different way...

Nita
Well said.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thanksgiving blows away christmass. Id pass on christmass for a 2nd thanksgiving.
and I probably would as well. I love the Christmas decorating and being with family but Thanksgiving reminds me of our country's routes and isn't as commercial. of course Christmas is the birthdate (not really) of our savior,for those who are Christians, for many others it is a wonderful festive time of the year. That is how our Muslim and Jewish friends see Christmas.
NIta

Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
id take christmas because we have prime rib. i dont like thanksgiving food for the most part, and would look like an idiot if i went to mcdonalds today, so i suck it up.
i guess for most of us, there is more to the holidays than eating. We too love the Christmas prime rib, but most Americans eat Turkey on Christmas as well as Thanksgiving.

For those who have family members that have to work: it isn't just retail, the airlines continue to fly, call centers are open and have always been and the hospitals do not close. Many restaurants are open, we have family members in all these fields and what do we do? We learn to work around their schedules as best possible.

Nita

Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,436,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
id take christmas because we have prime rib. i dont like thanksgiving food for the most part, and would look like an idiot if i went to mcdonalds today, so i suck it up.
Then make something else. Dinner can be whatever your family wants it to be. We are smoking salmon and tri tip this year with stuffing, potatoes, asparagus, salad, pie, beans, yams, Yum

Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Tell to try working in a hospital. I'll be sleeping while Thanksgiving dinner is served.
Hospitals are essential. Getting a TV at Best Buy is not.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They should be thankful they have a job.

Why can't the "table" work around their schedules? My family is in law enforcement and fire, and we work around their schedule.
They are thankful they have a job. Doesn't mean one can't lament missed time with family. We couldn't work around everyone's schedule, unfortunately.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i guess for most of us, there is more to the holidays than eating. We too love the Christmas prime rib, but most Americans eat Turkey on Christmas as well as Thanksgiving.

For those who have family members that have to work: it isn't just retail, the airlines continue to fly, call centers are open and have always been and the hospitals do not close. Many restaurants are open, we have family members in all these fields and what do we do? We learn to work around their schedules as best possible.

Nita
I think it's a sad state of affairs when call centers & restaurants can't close for like two days per year. They are non-essential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies