Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,293,577 times

Advertisements

Unions are just not responsive change. Oh well I guess no jobs are better than lower paying ones.

Plan to Revive Two ABC Soap Operas Collapses - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Within days, though, Mr. Kwatinetz and Mr. Frank realized that they had underestimated the time it would take to win over cast members like Susan Lucci, the star of “All My Children,” and groups like the Writers Guild of America. And by the end of July, Prospect Park was cautioning that “All My Children” probably wouldn’t make the planned transition to the Web in September, as originally hoped.

Later, the company abandoned plans to reboot “All My Children” altogether and decided to concentrate on “One Life to Live” because a greater number of that show’s stars and writers had signed on to participate.

But those signings were contingent on final agreements with the unions and guilds, which were never reached. The licensing terms for the soaps specified that Web episodes would be just as long and just as high in quality as they were on TV; that enabled the writers guild and other unions to say in negotiations that cast and crew members should be paid almost as much as they were paid for the TV versions of the shows.

Prospect Park had secured some financing for the online productions, according to two people involved in the company’s plans — but not enough to meet the expectations of the unions. So the company pushed back, saying that it needed flexibility because its online production plan was experimental. The argument was that the shows had already been canceled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,736,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Unions are just not responsive change. Oh well I guess no jobs are better than lower paying ones.

You are opposed to the free market system? Seems to me they had a business plan that would not make money.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,508,744 times
Quote:

Your first bold sentence makes sense. If the time and effort needed to produce a Web episode is as much as with TV episodes, why should those doing the work be paid much less for their work?

Anyway, most soaps are better left dead Those revivals are always odd somehow, especially if the cast is not identical or if they look much older and people wonder what might have happened to all those characters in the meantime.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,235,847 times
How about a soap opera about unions?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,749,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How about a soap opera about unions?

Ooohhh... I'd watch that one!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:32 PM

57,022 posts, read 34,907,065 times
Quote:

Seems to me that you right wing types should be celebrating since that's less "liberal Hollywood drivel" that will be on TV.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,424,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Seems to me that you right wing types should be celebrating since that's less "liberal Hollywood drivel" that will be on TV.
I agree, now if we can only clean up the same mess on CD P&C

Old 11-24-2011, 01:37 PM

14,557 posts, read 22,909,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Your first bold sentence makes sense. If the time and effort needed to produce a Web episode is as much as with TV episodes, why should those doing the work be paid much less for their work?
Logic strikes again!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,243,218 times
The problem with unions are not that they don't want to work for lower wages but they prevent others who would be willing. So, in this example, everybody loses.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,293,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Anyway, most soaps are better left dead Those revivals are always odd somehow, especially if the cast is not identical or if they look much older and people wonder what might have happened to all those characters in the meantime.
Actually it's not, it was a condition foisted upon the buyers of the internet rights to keep the unions on board.

The reality is somewhat different.

Quote:
So the company pushed back, saying that it needed flexibility because its online production plan was experimental. The argument was that the shows had already been canceled.
Obvious to everyone but the unions, the existing model collapsed so this new one would be a start up, experimental and adjustments would have to be made. The unions wanted the same pay and rights they had when their shows on TV went belly up.

Quote:
“We thought they would be cheering us for saving jobs,” said one of the people involved. The people insisted on anonymity because the company had decided not to say anything on the record except for the statement.
You'd think but unions aren't interested in jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies