Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 03:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Amidst the wails of despair across the U.S. about the country’s seemingly intractable unemployment plight, something seems to have gone unnoticed -- joblessness among college graduates is fairly low, and has been steadily declining for the past few years.

However, if one examines the August BLS jobs report closely, one finds something interesting -- the unemployment rate for college graduates (that is, those holding at least a Bachelor’s degree) is only 4.3 percent. Moreover, this figure has slowly declined from 5.0 percent in August 2010.
Despite Unemployment Worries, 95% of U.S. College Grads Have Jobs - Jobs & Hire
It's all about perception. If you think college graduates as well as the uneducated can't find jobs that leads you down a different path of thought than if they told you only the uneducated can't find jobs.

The devil is in the details and most don't bother to read those details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 03:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
It's going to get worse.

It's both a problem with our system, government and with the quality of the population that is causing this poverty.

The working poor cause their own poverty? b

Old 11-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Not around here pal. 5.3 unemployment rate. Or in other .3 higher then the national average in good times.

Lotta educated people around here and in case ya didnt get the memo, they decided to sit this one out.

What's the unemployment rate of unskilled men over 50? That is a number I would LOVE to see. Heck, what is their employment rate? As unskilled older men lose employability, they drop out of the workforce at remarkable rates.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That would be quite a feat since Pernell Roberts died a couple years ago.

It's the miracle of film and rebroadcast.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Because they never bothered to aquire an education or any real marketable skills.

I'd love to acquire some real marketable skills. Where do I sign up?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Until I see Pernell Roberts or Sally Struthers making fundraising pitches to communities here in the United States then we don't have a poverty issue.

You are not in poverty if you have shoes on your feet, a roof over your head, food in your belly at least once a day, and access to an emergency room.

Ode to a Bum

(singing)

You got shoes on your feet
You even tweet
Somebody oughta tumble you out on the street

We will we will rock you...

Old 11-25-2011, 03:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i used to be one of the 3 but shaped up? that i finally stopped blaming them and asking more of me?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:33 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,624 times
As long as this government pays them to sit on their butt there is no incentive to work.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Amidst the wails of despair across the U.S. about the country’s seemingly intractable unemployment plight, something seems to have gone unnoticed -- joblessness among college graduates is fairly low, and has been steadily declining for the past few years.

However, if one examines the August BLS jobs report closely, one finds something interesting -- the unemployment rate for college graduates (that is, those holding at least a Bachelor’s degree) is only 4.3 percent. Moreover, this figure has slowly declined from 5.0 percent in August 2010.
Despite Unemployment Worries, 95% of U.S. College Grads Have Jobs - Jobs & Hire
Problem is -- how accurate can those figures be -- for many college graduates, if they don't get that perfect high paying job, they simply remain in college.

They aren't counted as unemployed as long as they're staying in college.

I heard something the other day that really amazed me. The average age of a college student now is 28 years of age. I looked it up and found this but it's almost 3 years ago:

Average Student Age on the Rise | Online Education Blog

The average student age in the U.S. has been climbing steadily in recent years. At both Harvard and Notre Dame the average age is now 27. The University of Phoenix, which offers both online and traditional degree programs, has an average student age of 35-37.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'd love to acquire some real marketable skills. Where do I sign up?

If you dont know on your own , you may not be capable of aquring them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies