Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

Mass. fishermen snare 881-pound tuna, but feds take it away - News | FOX Sports on MSN

But the joy was short-lived. Federal fishery enforcement agents seized the fish when the crew returned to port Nov. 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Mass. fishermen snare 881-pound tuna, but feds take it away - News | FOX Sports on MSN

But the joy was short-lived. Federal fishery enforcement agents seized the fish when the crew returned to port Nov. 12.

Of course its getting sold, capitalism at its finest two maybe three people will share in those profits. It should be given to a homeless shelter where the captain should be forced to serve it since he broke the law.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
'On Tuesday, the NOAA issued a reminder that bluefin tuna can't be caught legally in trawl nets, even by accident.'

Nice! So by definition he did not catch it by accident - hence he is in violation. Word games are fun.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Of course its getting sold, capitalism at its finest two maybe three people will share in those profits. It should be given to a homeless shelter where the captain should be forced to serve it since he broke the law.
Explain how the captain broke the law please. He was trawling legally, the fish swam into his net and was caught. Therefore the fish broke the law...arrest the fish! Next time I hope the crew has a fishing rod on board.

What are the options? Dump the dead fish back into the ocean? Seems like a hell of a waste of a resource.

This part makes no sense:
Quote:
A fish that big is hugely valuable, prized by sushi-lovers for its tender red meat. A 754-pound tuna recently sold for nearly $396,000.
That would be $551/lb...no one is really that stupid to pay that much for bait, are they? I assume this is a mis-print.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Explain how the captain broke the law please. He was trawling legally, the fish swam into his net and was caught. Therefore the fish broke the law...arrest the fish!

What are the options? Dump the dead fish back into the ocean? Seems like a hell of a waste of a resource.

That would be $551/lb...no one is really that stupid to pay that much for bait, are they? I assume this is a mis-print.

I agree with you it doesn't make sense but it happens all the time. I didn't think it was being used as bait, I thought it was being used as food

Last edited by James420; 11-23-2011 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: m

Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Explain how the captain broke the law please. He was trawling legally, the fish swam into his net and was caught. Therefore the fish broke the law...arrest the fish! Next time I hope the crew has a fishing rod on board.

No its not a mis print. Fish was sold at the Famous Toyko fish market.

Always read the regulations. Even if they did have a rod on board no way everyone's story would have matched. Someone would have gotten caught in the lie.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No its not a mis print. Fish was sold at the Famous Toyko fish market.

Always read the regulations. Even if they did have a rod on board no way everyone's story would have matched. Someone would have gotten caught in the lie.

The article states that they can sell for over 300,000 dollars. Something to do with how tender the red meat is on the bigger fish.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:

He violated the law, that's what happens. For experienced fisherman whose business is trawling every day, and line catching tuna, claiming he was completely ignorant is pretty far fetched. That doesn't even pass the smell test.

I doubt it was on purpose, but I bet those dollar signs went off as soon as he saw it and hoped to feign ignorance so he could try and keep it.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
He violated the law, that's what happens. For experienced fisherman whose business is trawling every day, and line catching tuna, claiming he was completely ignorant is pretty far fetched. That doesn't even pass the smell test.

I doubt it was on purpose, but I bet those dollar signs went off as soon as he saw it and hoped to feign ignorance so he could try and keep it.
I think the point is, why was an accident against the law?

If I catch a rare, endangered fish while in a local lake, and I was fishing for crappie, why should I get in trouble?

I understand the reasoning for keeping these fish safe, but a one off like this should be let go.

Common sense in laws.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
I think the point is, why was an accident against the law?

If I catch a rare, endangered fish while in a local lake, and I was fishing for crappie, why should I get in trouble?

I understand the reasoning for keeping these fish safe, but a one off like this should be let go.

Common sense in laws.
I guess cause you would start to have a lot of 'accidents', of fishermen coming back with near-extinct fish and claiming they caught it 'by accident'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies