Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM

177 posts, read 138,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
ESL does not mean English. It stands for English as a SECOND Language.

Yes, the goal is to retain their foreign language. Immersion is extremely effective even for adults, but very much so for children.

The ESL students in this area do terrible on the standardized tests and have an incredibly high drop out rate.

ESL is to keep kids from assimilating, the keep them in their own language, apart from American kids.
Malamute, don't be so dumb as to argue with someone who has a degree in the thing you are arguing over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 AM

12,885 posts, read 13,558,635 times
I don't know if we can say with 100% certainty that because Mexicans and Blacks were squareing off the tension is racially motivated. How is it any diffrent when Hispanic gangs fight each other or black gangs fight each other?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,455,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
Malamute, don't be so dumb as to argue with someone who has a degree in the thing you are arguing over.
He has an economic motive obviously to keep kids from ever learning English. I'm pointing out that ESL means exactly what it stands for, it's about making English the Second language while their own country's language is the First. It's about having them believe the most important language is their foreign language, not English.

And I live in an area with this ESL, and the drop out rate and academic scores are dismal.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

177 posts, read 138,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He has an economic motive obviously to keep kids from ever learning English. I'm pointing out that ESL means exactly what it stands for, it's about making English the Second language while their own country's language is the First. It's about having them believe the most important language is their foreign language, not English.

And I live in an area with this ESL, and the drop out rate and academic scores are dismal.
Meh, I should have said, don't be so dumb to argue with reality. It's called ESL because English IS THEIR SECOND LANGUAGE. It's a decription of the teaching technique to teach English to people whose first language isn't English. The purpose of ESL is to make the transition from their first language and their primary language to English (WHICH IS THEIR SECOND LANGUAGE) and make it their primary language ( BUT IT'S STILL THEIR SECOND LANGUAGE). Just read the wiki page if that is too much for you. It's not really that complicated.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,402,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh really? Who is "THEY?" The city is 70% white! They want to get rid of themselves?
Non-Hispanic whites don't make up anywhere near 70% of Albuquerque's population. My real question is why the United States is so obsessed with "diversity", or more specifically, having areas where nonwhites outnumber whites. I jokingly said "deport all the white people back to Europe". However, real people advocate the deportation of European Americans back to their ancestral homeland of Europe. Many Mexicans affiliated with La Raza support the deportation of whites back to Europe. "They want to get rid of themselves?" Some probably do. Ever heard of white guilt?

I don't think a city should be judged based on how low of a percentage of white residents it has. A city isn't good or bad just because it has "too little" or "too many" white people. Cities should be judged based on their standard of living, schools, crime rates, etc. I don't get all of these ordinary people who obsess over areas with few white people. Europeans and people of European descent are a worldwide racial minority, so I think that areas that are predominantly white are pretty unique in that respect. This also means that these diversity-crazed people should stop moaning over a city having "too many white people". If they hate white people, then they are free to move out of the United States. They should realize that they're on Earth, and that Earth is home to billions of humans who have a wide range of skin colors and belong to thousands of different ethnic groups. In other words, they should get with reality and stop being so prejudiced.

I'm not here to argue with you. I'm just here to give my two cents. If you want to get hostile, I won't respond. Debating on the Internet is so tiring and pointless. I just try to avoid it now.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,052,054 times
I'm wondering about several things, CDG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Many Mexicans affiliated with La Raza support the deportation of whites back to Europe.
Who are "Mexicans," as defined in this claim? What is "La Raza," as defined in this claim? Who are "whites," as defined in this claim?

Since nearly all continental Americans have European admixture, what are the criteria for determining which individuals are subject to "deportation" to Europe?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,402,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I'm wondering about several things, CDG.

Who are "Mexicans," as defined in this claim? What is "La Raza," as defined in this claim? Who are "whites," as defined in this claim?

Since nearly all continental Americans have European admixture, what are the criteria for determining which individuals are subject to "deportation" to Europe?

Also, the whites I'm talking about are those of full European heritage. The Mexicans I'm talking about are mestizos, like the ones in the pics.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM

532 posts, read 1,052,054 times
CDG, the pictures you posted are of the Mexica Movement, not of "La Raza," which I take to mean the National Council of La Raza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Also, the whites I'm talking about are those of full European heritage. The Mexicans I'm talking about are mestizos, like the ones in the pics.
There are a minority of people in continental America with "full European heritage," as evidenced by Skin pigmentation, biogeographical ancestry and admixture mapping: "In European Americans from [Pennsylvania] State College, the west African and native American genetic contribution are low (0.7% and 3.2%, respectively)."

If the word "mestizo" is means to mean an individual with European and Amerindian admixture, the vast majority of continental Americans are "mestizos," regardless of the ethnic group that they identify with. The Mexica Movement, however, rejects the usage of the word "mestizo."

MEXICA MOVEMENT: Indigenous Liberation for Anahuac

However, I do not see any demands on this website for the deportation of "whites" to Europe. I do see demands for the deportation of white supremacists to Europe, and voluntary migration of other white Europeans (which they do not define).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies