Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 04:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well there had to be some "melting" going on or most Black Americans would look like they just came from sub-Saharan Africa and they don't.
LOL...well...

I wouldn't exactly call that "operating under a Melting Pot concept."

That happened because certain people decided because they owned other people, they were gonna TAKE what they wanted. I doubt that there was a whole lot of wining, dining, courting, and chaperoning going on.

Moreover, that was pretty much all one way...white male, black female. And of course, seeing as how things are today, that's obviously not how it tends to go in those matters if people have their choice most of the time.

So yea, i get what you're saying, and you're right to a degree, but that type of melting pot doesn't exactly make for harmonious relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You're repeating yourself. I acknowledged this in my last post. And just because I support states rights doesn't mean I am somehow barred from having an opinion on something that happens in another state.

The reason it became a discussion about diversity was simply because of the irony of the whole situation. I'm pretty sure that was the point of the OP.

I didn't say it was a big deal, I won't lose any sleep over it, I'm just stating my opinion. Let me sum it up for you: Going out of your way to promote cultural diversity (mental segregation) is stupid. It accomplishes nothing.
You have no idea what the assembly was about. That's the bottom line. Maybe some incidents have happened and there was a need for this gathering to go down. If you know more, then show me a program. Otherwise, you know no more than i do about this incident.

I can understand the so-called irony, but then, maybe there was no irony at all. If an incident happened, or some incidents happened in the past, then it's up to the school to do something about it. You can't make this out to be a Kumbaya festival because you don't know what led up to it. The fact that the kids were supposedly gonna rumble may highlight a need to get them all together in one room.

And again...i'll repeat myself: a lot of these opinions on this thread point moreso towards a dislike of any kind of diversity regardless of whether it's forced or not. If this is the problem, then i wish folks would just say so. But this nonsense about multiculturalism is Limbaugh crap circa 1991 when right wingers were looking for some kind of vague language on race to express their dislike of minorities without coming right out and saying what they really mean.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Well there had to be some "melting" going on or most Black Americans would look like they just came from sub-Saharan Africa and they don't.
Plus "melting pot" doesn't just mean race but culture too. Most American blacks would not feel at all home in Africa and American culture has most definitely been influenced by black Americans and vice versa.

From the very beginning actually - music instruments, music, foods, books and stories. Black Americans are culturally American, I don't know why anyone thinks they have some separate or foeign culture.

Sure there can be some aspects of the culture that are regional. The South for example has somewhat different American culture than the Northwest or the Old West.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You have no idea what the assembly was about. That's the bottom line. Maybe some incidents have happened and there was a need for this gathering to go down. If you know more, then show me a program. Otherwise, you know no more than i do about this incident.

I can understand the so-called irony, but then, maybe there was no irony at all. If an incident happened, or some incidents happened in the past, then it's up to the school to do something about it. You can't make this out to be a Kumbaya festival because you don't know what led up to it. The fact that the kids were supposedly gonna rumble may highlight a need to get them all together in one room.

And again...i'll repeat myself: a lot of these opinions on this thread point moreso towards a dislike of any kind of diversity regardless of whether it's forced or not. If this is the problem, then i wish folks would just say so. But this nonsense about multiculturalism is Limbaugh crap circa 1991 when right wingers were looking for some kind of vague language on race to express their dislike of minorities without coming right out and saying what they really mean.
I think we can all assume it was exactly what the news article said it was about -- celebrating Cultural Diversity.

There is no reason to think it was about anything else, it got cancelled -- maybe like you say because the kids started some rumors that they would have race fights that the school officials believe were true - but you still have to love the irony of it all.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
But the article specifically says the it was "an assembly meant to celebrate cultural diversity."

Quote:
I'm not really following you here - it seems pretty clear to me what happened based on the article. Unless you think something is misleading in the article I'm sticking with my diagnosis of extreme irony.

Hell I'll bet I know exactly what led up to it. Some kid looked at some other kid cross eyed for more than .82 seconds and then a bunch of other kids jumped in and started mouthing off and getting dramatic, because they had absolutely nothing better to do with their time. And at the root of it all is tribalist bull**** mentality. I've seen it all before.

Quote:
Dude, spare me. I've had maybe two white friends in the last 10 years. I'm just sick of this pushy diversity crap, the constant accusations of racism, etc. I would have gone with your theory when I was younger, but at this point I understand exactly where people are coming from. Trust me, my generation has been smothered with PC crap. And this is coming from a guy who is white but has never hung out with white people. So I definitely have some perspective on the issue from both sides.

I mean, can someone just explain to me in logical terms how multiculturalism is superior to assimilation? This whole "multiculturalism is great" thing is flat out dogma as far as I'm concerned. Like I always say, ask a conservative why gays are evil and ask a liberal what's so great about multiculturalism, and chances are you'll get pretty much the same response.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
A true statement.

Some of that early melting was of the one-sided and forced variety.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Skin color is a phenotypic attribute, a feature of physical appearance. National languages often encompass people with a variety of skin colors and physical appearances. Which national languages are you referring to?

Can you cite specific textbooks or other literature used in this school's curriculum that contains this material, quoting the relevant sections?

What evidence is there of this claim?
I know skin color is just a phenotype and it doesn't mean all that much. The foreign language being forced on American kids is the one I mean in particular.

Check out the ESL classrooms in many of these schools, where immigrant kids are taught in "their own language" and may be given some English classes but English is viewed only as a "second" language, they are taught that keeping their first language matters more.

And check out the "aztlan" or chicano studies programs and their agenda, the fact that these kids are being taught that Aztecs once ruled over all of North America which entitles everyone in their country to break immigration laws.

Many of the schools in the SW are forcing all kids to learn Spanish and this does bring about resentment. Not all kids are from Latin America obviously -- Spanish is not the language of their ancestors and yet it's being forced on them.

It's not a choice any longer to take Spanish or French or German, Russian or Greek or Mandarine Chinese, Japanese, etc. The schools where I live make Spanish mandatory. But the way they teach it to non-native speakers is terrible and ineffective. For example one teacher told me that there is no excuse for kids not to understand an assignment because the kids had to do a family tree using words all kids would naturally know like tio, prima, abuelo. This of course is totally stupid because non-Mexican kids don't naturally know what those words mean.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
This story really highlights a huge problem in America that is often swept under the rug. Racial tensions between Blacks and Hispanics have been brewing for decades. School fights, murder, and even ethnic cleansing of whole neighborhoods has been going on out west for some time now, but the media doesn't like to address it. I don't think the general public is even really aware of the school wide race riots that have taken place out in California, usually between Blacks and Hispanics, but sometimes involving other groups like Samoans and Somalis.

IMO, I think many don't want to discuss these problems because it shines a light on how fragile racial and ethnic diversity is in America. When our economy dives we'll see the facade of multiculturalism crumble.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
This story really highlights a huge problem in America that is often swept under the rug. Racial tensions between Blacks and Hispanics have been brewing for decades. School fights, murder, and even ethnic cleansing of whole neighborhoods has been going on out west for some time now, but the media doesn't like to address it. I don't think the general public is even really aware of the school wide race riots that have taken place out in California, usually between Blacks and Hispanics, but sometimes involving other groups like Samoans and Somalis.

IMO, I think many don't want to discuss these problems because it shines a light on how fragile racial and ethnic diversity is in America. When our economy dives we'll see the facade of multiculturalism crumble.
Yes and no. If the economy flatlines, you'll see a world defined by the haves and the have-nots. Race will still matter. But money will matter more.

It's already happening, poor is poor. Well-off, is dropping like AOL stock circa 1998.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think we can all assume it was exactly what the news article said it was about -- celebrating Cultural Diversity.

There is no reason to think it was about anything else, it got cancelled -- maybe like you say because the kids started some rumors that they would have race fights that the school officials believe were true - but you still have to love the irony of it all.
Yea, i know.

What you don't know is why they decided to celebrate it. And at the end of the day, i'm not sure it even matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies