Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Poor choices ? Who declared pizza as a vegetable ? Who allows wood pulp to be used as filler in food ?

Tim Hawkins - The Government Can - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
You need to read "Nudge" by C. Sunstein. It's about how government can promote healthy choices in our lives.
Why ? Are you that non-functioning that you can't read for yourself and make your own "healthy choices" ?

Maybe the goal of a literate society would bring more good then the government eliminating choices for you.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
You need to read "Nudge" by C. Sunstein. It's about how government can promote healthy choices in our lives.

it is none of the goverments business on what legal choices I do in my life.

If i want to eat a pound of bacon and eggs for breakfast, followed by smoking a carton of smokes, it is none of their fracking business.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Poor choices ? Who declared pizza as a vegetable ? Who allows wood pulp to be used as filler in food ?
Tomatoe paste - that rotten canned stuff comes from tomatoes - that are a fruit and NOT a vegetable..so they got that part wrong..Wood pulp or saw dust used to be used in Europe during the war...they mixed it with flour to make the bread go furthert - mean while - WE are not in the midst of famine or domestic war..so the wood filler is based in a thing called spite and greed -not very nice.

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
Quote:
Fine - no problem at all "promoting" healthy choices, but don't REQUIRE me to follow the recommendations. Of course, if I don't, I am the one who must suffer any consequences - and costs.

THis of course only applies to a point. I think the govt CAN & Should Require me to not buy from a meat packer who has a Salmonella contamination problem, for example, by shutting that plant down until they clean up.

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Why ? Are you that non-functioning that you can't read for yourself and make your own "healthy choices" ?

Maybe the goal of a literate society would bring more good then the government eliminating choices for you.
To be fair they didn't take any civics classes in 6th grade since they aren't quiet out of elementary school yet. Which brings us to the real reason why they aren't quite ready to take control of their own lives. It's vaarrryy vaaarry scwary out der.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
If government did not exist, the idiots that so heavily rely on it would quickly starve to death and be removed from the gene pool. I'm not seeing the down side.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
We have the greatest system of government in the world.

It is known as the most perfect system in the history of the planet.

Why would you not trust government to make necessary interventions in your day to day living, especially when most Americans make such poor choices (eating junk foods) on their own free will?

The only legitimate role of government is to protect the free flow of commerce.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
I think this is only a thread to bait people and get them all riled up. I can't take it seriously.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
We have the greatest system of government in the world.

It is known as the most perfect system in the history of the planet.

Why would you not trust government to make necessary interventions in your day to day living, especially when most Americans make such poor choices (eating junk foods) on their own free will?
Because a bureaucracy of strangers have absolutely no clue what is best for me in my life. Even if they had the divine power to know, the rules they make will always be lacking and abused in their implementation because a one size fits all application is not practical.

What made our system the greatest on the planet was not the government itself, but the fact that its design was supposed to be limited in its powers and influence on the individual.

You seem to be making an argument that was often made during the times of ruling classes in Europe. The peasants were viewed as ignorant, incapable of making choices for themselves, and needed a noble class to rule over them, assigning them the proper choices for their own good. We saw how that worked out and yet you are here promoting the same type of system? A ruling elite dictating to the people how they should live?

Sometimes I think there isn't enough rope in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies