Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times

Advertisements

Being against same-sex marriage is like saying the following:

"You know, I don't understand why people want to buy import cars. I think that buying import cars is wrong and will destroy our economy. Don't get me wrong, I love all people, including those who buy imports. But because I think it's wrong, it should be illegal to buy imports. If people who like imports want to buy a car, then there are plenty of American cars for them to choose from (even though they obviously aren't "attracted to" American cars). I'm fine with it if you want to buy a car, but don't buy an import because it's wrong and should be illegal because it will destroy society."

Doesn't make much sense now, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Being against same-sex marriage is like saying the following:

"You know, I don't understand why people want to buy import cars. I think that buying import cars is wrong and will destroy our economy. Don't get me wrong, I love all people, including those who buy imports. But because I think it's wrong, it should be illegal to buy imports. If people who like imports want to buy a car, then there are plenty of American cars for them to choose from (even though they obviously aren't "attracted to" American cars). I'm fine with it if you want to buy a car, but don't buy an import because it's wrong and should be illegal because it will destroy society."

Doesn't make much sense now, does it?
Nah, it's like saying:

"You know, I don't know why folks want to buy import cars. It's illegal to do so. But if you must have one, why not get a "trade car"? You'd get the car, enjoy the same benefits and don't have to worry about dealing with all of the ruckus of getting an imported car".

Now that makes sense to me.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I was going to write something along these very lines. I agree 100%.
It’s another antagonistic yet failed tactic in the same theme as the hateful name calling and unpleasant labels. Not exactly winning or coercing any converts. They enjoy ridiculing the religious and calling it a fairy tale when in fact the actual fairy tale is quite literally the preposterous notion of same sex “marriage”.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Why does your side believe that it is perfectly okay to freely mock, ridicule and insult the core religious belief systems of others and then at the same time somehow expect, no demand, that your position be taken seriously, much less entertained at all, by those you are in such adversarial disagreement with? This approach isn’t winning anybody over to your position and is in fact more successful at turning people against and off.

The individuals you so enthusiastically mock and insult are among the very people who you are going to need to perceive and acknowledge your so-called “marriage” as something legitimate instead of seeing a couple of perverted freaks unsuccessfully playing at being married heterosexuals.
But you're fine to mock, ridicule and insult others.

Give me a break

Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Its none of my damn business. A guy going down on a guy is disgusting. So isnt someone eating frog legs , or a largemouth bass . Same can be said about a guy that wants to screw 300lbs woman.
And just like those things, its no of my damn business.
You don't need to but it seems a lot of people need to feel more blessed that some strange stuff is none of their business.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
Quote:
Nah, it's like saying:

"You know, I don't know why folks want to buy import cars. It's illegal to do so. But if you must have one, why not get a "trade car"? You'd get the car, enjoy the same benefits and don't have to worry about dealing with all of the ruckus of getting an imported car".

Now that makes sense to me.
That... doesn't make sense. Imports are imported to be sold by dealerships... Not illegal - same thing...?

The point was - it's not the same no matter how similar you try to make it. What is somebody going to say to their SO? "Will you civil union me?"

Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
But you're fine to mock, ridicule and insult others.

Give me a break
Your side can dish it out but obviously cannot take a taste of its own medicine. As long as the religious are mocked and ridiculed there is open license to the same treatment with the beliefs and desires of the homosexual.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Your side can dish it out but obviously cannot take a taste of its own medicine. As long as the religious are mocked and ridiculed there is open license to the same treatment to the beliefs and desires of the homosexual.

Yes. Well done. Very, very mature response.

Are you able to articulate your point of view without insult?

Please detail to me how same sex marriage

a) affects your life ?

b) affects the status of your marriage?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
That... doesn't make sense. Imports are imported to be sold by dealerships... Not illegal - same thing...?

The point was - it's not the same no matter how similar you try to make it. What is somebody going to say to their SO? "Will you civil union me?"
I know, I was really reaching trying to explain my side of it.

My bottom line: I'm not opposed to gay people having the full rights of married couples. I'm just opposed to them getting "married".

Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
I know, I was really reaching trying to explain my side of it.

My bottom line: I'm not opposed to gay people having the full rights of married couples. I'm just opposed to them getting "married".
Why? What difference does it make? Does it make you feel somehow superior by turning "them damn *****s" into second class citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies