Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Convenient play... right, because everybody that disagrees with homosexuality wants to pimp women out and enslave black people. Got it
Here's what YOU wrote and I responded to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yes and No.... I think there has to still be some states that rule against it. There has to be a place where people who don't agree live in a society without it. Forced associations always cause civil unrest.

What you have here is a nation that has lived under a social norm for hundreds of years. So naturally a new norm is going to be resisted.

You have something else to say about the "social norms" of women as chattal and blacks as slaves?
Is there a place in the US where they still have slaves? Sell women?

Looks to me like your post is a fail.
Civil rights is not a state issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:00 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Here's what YOU wrote and I responded to:

You have something else to say about the "social norms" of women as chattal and blacks as slaves?
No, it's not an issue anymore at all.. so why would I?

Quote:
Is there a place in the US where they still have slaves? Sell women?
Are you a slave? If you work a job you don't want or feel you don't get paid enough... you might be...I already know where you're going...THE PRISON SYSTEM..

Guess what? During colonization, slaves were abducted or sold outright. In todays society they are imprisoned if they sell drugs or do things like... I don't know... murder or rape somebody??

I will say, I totally do not agree with drug laws... They are a serious drain on resources. BUT somebody who KNOWS that these laws are on the book and have seen it send hundreds of their peers to jail is fully aware of the consequences to their actions.

So no, we don't have "slaves" we have a penile system full of dumbasses for the majority.

As far as women soliciting prostitution, again, on their own merit...

Edit: sorry, without merit

Quote:
Looks to me like your post is a fail.
Don't worry... I already saved your from the failure that was to materialize in your next post.

Quote:
Civil rights is not a state issue.
You're right.. it's a non issue.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 11-29-2011 at 04:08 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, but why does the different term have to equal something negative? N*gger was a term made up and was done for purely derogatory reasons….colored was also a negative descriptor. Civil union is now hate speech? I must have missed the memo.

OK..so now you’re just being outright rude. I’m reporting you and won’t entertain the rest of your post.

I explained this earlier. Marriage signifies the union between a man and a woman. The IR thing imposed restrictions on that…that’s where the injustice came in. Same-sex marriage is asking us to redefine what marriage is. It’s not the same at all and quite frankly, the IR argument is getting really old.
It's not hate speech. I'm using that to illustrate that words do make a difference, though. Hate speech is a prime example of how words mean more than just "a label for a concept" but the same thing happens with all words, even ones that aren't hateful. Take, for example:

gun
firearm

cop
police officer

The latter two aren't negative, per se, but they do hold a connotation distinct from the first two. "Civil union" and "marriage", even if they define the same thing, just like "gun" and "firearm" already do, will always carry those separate connotations and serve to mean something different socially in the minds of speakers.

By insisting on a different word, you are insisting that same-sex marriage and opposite-sex marriage be treated differently.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
It's the very foundation of marriage. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.
Said who? And why did that person get to decide? It's the very foundation of marriage according to what standard, whose rules? You're pulling that statement out of thin air.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
I advocate calling your son’s marriage a civil union…the same would apply to gay marriages. I’ve said this many times throughout this thread. Doesn’t mean you have to agree.

Have you followed my posts on this thread, at all? If so, you will see that I agree that gays in civil unions should have the same rights as married couples. The other instances you bring up (employment, housing, etc) have nothing to do with gay marriage, so I’m not even addressing those because they’re irrelevant to this discussion. (Not to mention I agree with you).
Where do I state that civil rights=connection to slavery? Anywhere? Or are you also making things up and imagining slights that don’t exist?

They can “call” it whatever they want. Common-law folks call themselves married, doesn’t mean I agree.

I already gave my reasons…many times. But fine:

Marriage symbolizes a union between a man and a woman. Despite the many restrictions from the past (IR, wife as property, polygamous marriage), the core value has remained the same: to bond a man and a woman in holy matrimony. I disagree with redefining the very foundation of marriage to include same-sex couples. That’s my stance…you can either agree or disagree, but just because you disagree doesn’t make my position disappear.
You are stuck in this traditional marriage rut. Tradition is no longer a reason for denying gays marriage. Tradition used to deny blacks the rights of marriage without consent of their master. Tradition was that only a man could contract a marriage. Tradition was that a man could beat his wife. There are many traditions that we no longer follow. But you want to stick to your antiquated religious view that marriage is only between a man and a woman. Are you aware that polygamy was once as common as your so called traditional marriage. You are using your religion to force a federal law forbidding gays from marrying equally. I also do not understand why a person of color follows a white religions rules. It was the white religion that encouraged their followers to enslave your people in the past. Africans were not and for the most part, are not Christian. American Indians are not Christian. There are many people that are not christians, but you want everyone to follow the laws of Christianity as if it is the endall. We are a secular nation with rules in place called separation of church and state. You seem to think that Christianity rules the US, well if it did, you would still be enslaved and need your masters permission to only marry one of your color. The reason The USA has so many freedoms is because we prevent the churches from controlling the government. If you do not like or believe in gay marriage, that is on you, but to prevent others from attaining the same status is selfish and narrow minded, besides being unequal You are a woman and black, one would think you would know about suppression. How easily do some forget how bad it used to be before men had the right to own his wife or beat her. Why must gays and lesbians fight for what is fair. Why must we suffer the persecution of the church because of its religious views. Those views have no justification in creating government laws affecting all of its citizens. If the church wants to control its parrish, go for it, but to control all religions not related to christians is self centered. There is not any proof of god or of the validity of the bible, it has no standing in the courts and should not be used to enforce or create laws affecting everyone.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Nah, it's like saying:

"You know, I don't know why folks want to buy import cars. It's illegal to do so. But if you must have one, why not get a "trade car"? You'd get the car, enjoy the same benefits and don't have to worry about dealing with all of the ruckus of getting an imported car".

Now that makes sense to me.
Insisting same-sex partners get called "civil unions" while opposite-sex partnerships get called "marriages" is like telling gay people "you can have a car, any car, but it has to be painted red. Red and only red." Why? "Oh, that's not up to you. The people who aren't restricted to red cars get to decide for you."

Why do straight people get to decide what my marriage means to me? Do you not see how that might be just a tad bit patronizing?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
It's the very foundation of marriage. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.
To pretend like you have dibs on what marriage is and gets called is disingenuous.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, but why does the different term have to equal something negative? N*gger was a term made up and was done for purely derogatory reasons….colored was also a negative descriptor. Civil union is now hate speech? I must have missed the memo.

OK..so now you’re just being outright rude. I’m reporting you and won’t entertain the rest of your post.

I explained this earlier. Marriage signifies the union between a man and a woman. The IR thing imposed restrictions on that…that’s where the injustice came in. Same-sex marriage is asking us to redefine what marriage is. It’s not the same at all and quite frankly, the IR argument is getting really old.
Marriage was redefined when white people and black people were allowed to marry one another. It was redefined when certain countries allowed their men to marry any number of women, for any amount of time, including temporary marriages so they could claim being married to their prostitute. It was redefined when people went to Las Vegas to get trashed and married. It was redefined when celebrities got married for 15 hours and then got divorced again. It was redefined when men were finally not able to force sex upon their own wives (in some states). But straight people haven't seemed to mind all those changes.

Oh, but two loving women or men getting married is really that threatening?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I haven't to admit, I haven't seen arguments this weak coming from the anti-same-sex-marriage side in a long time. Usually they're at least a bit more thought out than "you're wrong; same-sex marriage is bad cause society says so; it's wisdom, duh".
Of course you will never see any reasons let alone an argument from those who want marriage to remain unchanged to your full and complete satisfaction. You don’t want to hear it. Period. You don’t like or want to envisage any opinion different from your own. Either we are to agree 100% with everything you demand or we’re homophobic bigots. Again, in you’re personal estimation. On the other hand I haven’t seen such weak and ineffectual reasons or arguments for society to redefine itself just to satisfy 3%. Not one substantial or compelling reason yet other than the angry emotional demanding which comes across like the spoiled child who can’t and won’t get its way. It boils down to “we want it” and you become enraged with those who disagree.

You want to change the world, to change the way humanity perceives the homosexual and reacts to homosexuality. The legitimacy and validation of homosexual “marriage” in society’s eyes will never be achieved until society everywhere sees the same sex couple as genuinely married instead of a couple of perverted freaks trying to pretend that they are a normal heterosexual married couple.

You can’t always get want you want. Nobody ever does and life isn’t fair. Until you realize and accept that the best you will likely ever get is a compromise, than the lot of the homosexual will continue to be one of unhappiness, disappointment, isolation, and despair.

Go ahead and reject or attack this reply just like you’ve done with all the others who do not want marriage changed. You ask for reasons and explanations and even when they have been provided on numerous occasions you don’t want to hear it and proceed to mock, ridicule and insult. We will continue to be in disagreement on this matter and my position remains unchanged.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
i believe that marriage is a religious institution, therefore should not concern legalities at all. Since Homosexuality is considered a sin in Christianity, it should not be allowed.
Are you saying you think that homosexuality shouldn't be "allowed"?

Or just same-sex marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies