Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Walmart seems to be a common theme here, not surprising.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I refuse to go out on Black Friday. I hate it that they're making store employees miss Thanksgiving because the stores are opening earlier and earlier. People tend to be a little more civil in this part of the country, but it makes me nuts that stores advertise items knowing they're only going to have a few available, and people wait for hours to try to be one of the lucky few. I shopped in my pjs this am and got a great deal online for a 32" HDTV with high resolution and reset for our bedroom--our old bedroom set was from the 1990's (it was on its last legs). Unfortunately, many poor people don't have bank accounts, let alone credit cards, so they can't shop online, and the stores keep dangling a few loss leaders to the folks desperate for a bargain who have to pay cash and show up at the store.
I went out, very briefly, and only bought one thing - a tablecloth. I did my Christmas shopping in my mother's attic. We got down my late grandmother's heirloom china and stemware that's been collecting dust for over 50 years, washed and packed it, and I'm giving it to my oldest daughter for Christmas. She just bought her first house. I bought the tablecloth to match the dishes. My brother's both work retail, and they said it was absolute chaos - loads of shoplifters this year. Very brazen and argumentative when they get caught.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
Hmm, how 'bout 'Occupy Wal-Mart'? Is that where they got the idea for the pepper spray?

Bunch of sheeple...I shop when I damn well feel like it - NOT when the media tell me to!

Old 11-26-2011, 02:02 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
Last year, there was some stampede at a Walmart where some elderly man got trampled. So not worth it for discount store fare. Anyone see the latest Kohl's ad where the young woman pushes ahead of the elderly woman, then grabs something out of another shopper's hand? Like it uses the holiday season to promote ruthlessness and rudeness.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
You want gov't to "regulate" black Friday? Why? To what end? What will this accomplish and at what price? Want the govt to hold your hand every time you leave the safety of your house? I know it's scary out there! Big bro will be more than happy to run your life for you, if the price is right.
I guess you missed the sarcasm.
It was pretty hard to miss.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
I went to the post office today.
Nuthin' was on sale.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:08 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
I must live in the wrong area.

We don't have anything like that happening in our local WMs.

The shoppers are quite civilized.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Truly disgusting people.

Rampaging over some material items. And there is a recession???
Wow. You really changed your tune by last night, didn't ya?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I went out, very briefly, and only bought one thing - a tablecloth. I did my Christmas shopping in my mother's attic. We got down my late grandmother's heirloom china and stemware that's been collecting dust for over 50 years, washed and packed it, and I'm giving it to my oldest daughter for Christmas. She just bought her first house. I bought the tablecloth to match the dishes. My brother's both work retail, and they said it was absolute chaos - loads of shoplifters this year. Very brazen and argumentative when they get caught.
What a lovely gift!! Very thoughtful and meaningful.

I feel sorry for your brothers!!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Last year, there was some stampede at a Walmart where some elderly man got trampled. So not worth it for discount store fare. Anyone see the latest Kohl's ad where the young woman pushes ahead of the elderly woman, then grabs something out of another shopper's hand? Like it uses the holiday season to promote ruthlessness and rudeness.
I looked it up because I hadn't seen it:

Kohls Rebecca Black Friday Commercial - YouTube

I agree with you. It really taints the holiday season. Not just this commercial but the whole atmosphere of buy, buy, buy at any cost.

Am I get crotchety? I think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies